Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 06:57:42 pm

Author Topic: A Relatively Relevant Relativity Guide  (Read 9412 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
A Relatively Relevant Relativity Guide
« on: July 09, 2015, 12:05:55 pm »
+12
Hey everyone! Time for another Physics guide. This one is going to cover relativity; and all the associated content, equations, explanations, as well as visiting some potential exam questions. Relativity is undoubtedly the most confusing and troubling part of HSC Physics, with some of the hardest concepts, most difficult formulae, and will generally prove a bit of a pain in the exam. The trick is to understand the ideas of relativity; if you understand it, potentially confusing questions become easy marks.

As always, remember to register for an account and ask any questions you have below! It takes no time at all, and is an awesome chance to pick the brains of your peers.

I'll first cover the idea of relativity in general. It is to do with reference frames . These can be defined a number of ways, but in HSC Physics, simply consider them as a reference point for measurements, or a 'zero' point. For example, from my reference frame sitting at my desk, I consider myself stationary. However, from the reference frame of the sun, I am actually moving quite quickly in an orbit. The idea to understand is that all measurements are made with reference to some zero point. This was the initial idea of relativity, that all motion is relative to something else.

There are two kinds of reference frames; inertial and non inertial . Again, these can be defined in depth, but for this course you need only remember that non-inertial frames of reference are accelerating . Inertial frames are not accelerating. In non inertial frames, we have to invent fictitious forces to account for the physical behaviour of objects.

Questions on these initial concepts of relativity are quite rare. However, if they do pop up, it is most likely to ask you something similar to one of the following:
  • Differentiate between inertial and non inertial frames of reference
  • Describe the idea of relativity.
  • What is a frame of reference?
In these questions, marks will be lost in the wording . Be very clear what you are trying to say, don't waffle or hint, be direct. The marker should know what question you are answering without seeing it. Relativity IS the idea that all measurements are made relative to something else. It relates to frames of reference, either inertial or non-inertial, which form criteria for measuring quantities.  Bang. Two marks. Move on.

In the 1800's, the idea of an absolute rest frame developed, something against which all other motion could be measured. This frame was called The Aether , an undetectable material which permeated all matter in the universe, and also acted as the medium by which light was transmitted. At this stage, it was thought all waves permeated through a medium; the light was thought to permeate through the Aether.

Michelson and Morley attempted to detect the Aether by detecting the earth's movement through it. To do this, they tried to detect changes in the interference patterns of two beams of light. A beam was split, and the effect of the Aether searched for in interference patterns between them. The apparatus is shown below. But this experiment yielded a null result, discrediting the Aether model and inspiring perhaps the greatest piece of mathematics/science literature since the Principia Mathematica by Isaac Newton.

Questions on this experiment are VERY common. Be sure you can replicate this diagram, and talk about the purpose correctly. They were NOT trying to measure the velocity of light. They were NOT trying to detect the Aether. They were attempting to measure the velocity of the earth through the Aether . Be very careful there. Besides this, quick explanations of the logic behind the experiment, should form the basis of most questions here.
Einstein published his Special Theory of Relativity in 1905. In it, he suggested that ALL inertial frames of reference are equally valid. Further, he suggested that the speed of light () was an absolute constant, the same in all frames of reference. His reasoning was based on thought experimentation. Consider yourself on a train travelling very close to the speed of light. You bounce a light off the ground and to the roof. You see it go straight up and down, but another observer sees it differently. Something has to change...

The astounding consequences of this theory are that time, mass and length all become relative quantities. Simulteneity becomes a relative statement also. Mass dilation, time dilation, and length contraction can be described by the following quantities.

The important thing to note here is that mass and time quantities increase as the velocity of a reference frame increases. Length decreases. This is an easy way to check answers to common questions like this (one pops up in almost every HSC exam):

Example One: The distance between the cathode and screen in a cathode ray tube is 40cm. If an electron travels through the tube at , what is the apparent distance from the cathode to the screen in the electron’s frame of reference?

Don't be confused about the wording, this is simply a sub and go. Be careful with SI units and substituting in the correct places!

These questions are usually muddled in interpretation. Re read the question. Be sure you understand what it is asking, and substitute in the right place.

The other consequence of this theory is that mass and energy are equivalent, a very interesting idea. This of course links to the infamous equation, . Interestingly, this equation is not asked as a mathematical question very often at all. Probably because it is one of the easiest formula in the course. Much more common is an explanation of the equivalence of mass and energy.

Accounting for this is simple. Consider an object travelling at close to the speed of light. If we apply a force, kinetic energy increases. But the velocity cannot exceed the speed of light. Thus, mass must increase. Therefore, we can deduce that mass and energy must be equivalent, since we increase the mass of an object by doing work on it.

The trickiest questions in a HSC exam often come from this topic, and usually concern Einstein. There are even questions which link to later topics on his political opinions! Tricky questions here, however, often concern Einstein's thought experiments. Be sure you can explain them, and draw simple diagrams like the one above, to make your meaning clear. Further, be prepared to discuss (quite loosely):
  • The advantages of thought experiments, in terms of limitations on current technologies.
  • The link between theory and proof
  • The proof of special relativity. This has been observed in atomic clocks, and in the lifespan of small, sub-atomic particles.

Questions on relativity in the HSC are punishing; they ask a HSC student to describe and explain one of the most complex ideas in modern physics. My biggest tips; be VERY careful with your wording, leave no room for interpretation. For example, do NOT write: "Special relativity means that the speed of light is constant, which means that mass, time and length are relative."... No mention of reference frames, no explanation, it screams "I MEMORISED THIS SENTENCE." Don't do this. Understand why these quantities are relative. Understand the role of reference frames. It is worth the time investment.

That is actually about all for relativity. Not much in terms of content; but very demanding subject area. Invest time to truly understand what is going on, and questions in these areas will become easy marks for you! Be sure to ask any questions you have below. It doesn't take long to register for an account , and it is an awesome way to pick the brains of the students around you. They are your best resource.

A GUIDE BY JAMON WINDEYER

bsdfjnlkasn

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +28
Re: A Relatively Relevant Relativity Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 08:49:36 pm »
Hey Jamon!

Excellent Guide  ;)

I was wondering if you could check my answer for your question 'Describe the idea of relativity.' Although you said that a question asking to explain the concept (alongside frames of reference) is unlikely, I still found myself pretty stumped when I tried answering it in my head.

So here goes: Relativity is an idea (proposed by Einstein) which eliminates all absolutes except the speed of light. As a result, all inertial frames of references are equal and observable through their relationship with c. Therefore, the results of comparing two inertial frames of reference would be inaccurate - this is where the term 'relative' comes from. As these frames of reference are moving relative to one another, nothing definitive about their nature can be said as neither are absolute.

Have I addressed the 'describe' verb correctly? Also, I answered the question with regards to Einstein's principle of relativity - was this implied in the question? I'm also not sure if I explained how all inertial frames of references are made equal because I don't really understand how this works. So, if the second sentence doesn't make sense - that's why haha. I tried explaining towards the end but I'm not sure how many marks the question would be worth and if I've written enough (or if it was even right at all :P).

Anyway, any feedback would be super appreciated!

Thanks again for the sick guide  8)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 11:56:32 am »
Hey Jamon!

Excellent Guide  ;)

I was wondering if you could check my answer for your question 'Describe the idea of relativity.' Although you said that a question asking to explain the concept (alongside frames of reference) is unlikely, I still found myself pretty stumped when I tried answering it in my head.

So here goes: Relativity is an idea (proposed by Einstein) which eliminates all absolutes except the speed of light. As a result, all inertial frames of references are equal and observable through their relationship with c. Therefore, the results of comparing two inertial frames of reference would be inaccurate - this is where the term 'relative' comes from. As these frames of reference are moving relative to one another, nothing definitive about their nature can be said as neither are absolute.

Have I addressed the 'describe' verb correctly? Also, I answered the question with regards to Einstein's principle of relativity - was this implied in the question? I'm also not sure if I explained how all inertial frames of references are made equal because I don't really understand how this works. So, if the second sentence doesn't make sense - that's why haha. I tried explaining towards the end but I'm not sure how many marks the question would be worth and if I've written enough (or if it was even right at all :P).

Anyway, any feedback would be super appreciated!

Thanks again for the sick guide  8)

Hey hey! So thats a good answer but, but you caught yourself, it never implied Einstein's version. Unless the word 'special relativity' is used, you have to go for the more general idea; the idea that all motion is measured relative to something else :) you've also probably included a little too much detail for a describe question (for an exam situation in any case). I would have probably answered like this:

The idea of relativity encapsulates the idea that all motion must be measured relative to something else. That is, the velocity of an inertial frame of reference cannot be determined without reference to another inertial frame (and you cannot determine the velocity of a non-inertial frame of reference at all).

In an exam, that's about 4 lines - Definitely enough for a 2 mark Describe question ;D hope this helps!!

sianjohnson

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 09:27:24 pm »
Hey Jamon

I was just taking a look over special relativity when I stumbled over your guide!

My physics teacher asked the class to take a look at specific examples of evidence of time dilation, length contraction and relativistic mass. You mentioned a couple of examples in the guide which I had managed to find but I was wondering if you knew about any awesome ones that are more obviously linked to one area??

More importantly is it likely that they'll ask for specific evidence in the HSC exam??

Cheers,

Sian

Rathin

• Trendsetter
  • Arthur Phillip High School
  • Respect: +9
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 09:47:19 pm »
This was a relatively good read ;D
2017 HSC
4u | 3u | Physics | Biology | Adv Eng | PDHPE

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 09:49:55 pm »
Hey Jamon

I was just taking a look over special relativity when I stumbled over your guide!

My physics teacher asked the class to take a look at specific examples of evidence of time dilation, length contraction and relativistic mass. You mentioned a couple of examples in the guide which I had managed to find but I was wondering if you knew about any awesome ones that are more obviously linked to one area??

More importantly is it likely that they'll ask for specific evidence in the HSC exam??

Cheers,

Sian

Hey! They definitely can ask for specific evidence in the exam, but generally it will be for 'relativity' in general, not a specific component within relativity. So, I would probably have two or three examples up your sleeve. The ones I remembered are below.

Atomic clocks

On Earth, we perfectly synced two atomic clocks. What are they? Basically, just super precise, super accurate clocks! We put one on a jet, and left one on the ground. The jet flew around the earth super fast a couple times, then came back to the ground. If you compare the two clocks, you'll see that the one that travelled faster actually experienced/measured less time, despite the fact that the clocks SHOULD read exactly the same! This is an example of time dilation.

Muons

There are these tinsy tinsey particles called muons. They have a pretty short half life (ie. they disappear very rapidly). We can measure the speed with which muons hit the ground and, if we use that speed to determine the time the muons must have taken to travel through the atmosphere, we would EXPECT them to have decayed much more quickly. ie. We might measure 10,000 muons, when we only expected to measure 4,000 muons (because the rest should decay). The muons are actually experiencing time slower, and also seeing the distance between the atmosphere and the ground as shorter. Pretty damn cool!

Accelerated particles

We accelerate particles to really, really fast speeds. We would expect that

F=\frac{1}{2}mv^2

which is the measure of kinetic energy to determine how much force we need to put onto the particle to get it moving faster. But, as the velocity increases, we find we need to put MORE energy than expected into it to continue it's acceleration! Weird! Well, looking at the equation above, the only possible explanation is that the mass has increased! This is an example of relativistic mass dilation.

Jake
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

Sukakadonkadonk

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 05:32:13 pm »
Hey Jamon,

I see that you have defined inertial and non-inertial frames of reference up there but I am wondering if you could give a super succinct definition that could be appropriate for exams, that is, if the one you gave was not.

Thank you.

kiwiberry

• HSC LECTURER
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +97
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 05:47:11 pm »
+3
Hey Jamon,

I see that you have defined inertial and non-inertial frames of reference up there but I am wondering if you could give a super succinct definition that could be appropriate for exams, that is, if the one you gave was not.

Thank you.

All you have to write is that an inertial frame is one that is not accelerating, and a non-inertial frame is one that is accelerating :)
HSC 2017: English Adv (93) | Maths Ext 1 (99) | Maths Ext 2 (97) | Chemistry (95) | Physics (95)
ATAR: 99.85

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 08:01:35 pm »
+1
All you have to write is that an inertial frame is one that is not accelerating, and a non-inertial frame is one that is accelerating :)

2 marks out of 2 - Love your work as always kiwiberry! ;D

arunasva

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 08:41:26 pm »
Hello, do we have to know all the thought experiments ? Like mass dilation ?
:3

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 09:00:07 pm »
Hello, do we have to know all the thought experiments ? Like mass dilation ?

Hey! The syllabus dictates that you know the thought experiments involving trains and mirrors - Those are the ones for time dilation. So those are the only ones you need, but the others are worth knowing to help you understand the concepts ;D

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
  • Respect: +45
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2017, 11:01:59 am »
Hey hey! So thats a good answer but, but you caught yourself, it never implied Einstein's version. Unless the word 'special relativity' is used, you have to go for the more general idea; the idea that all motion is measured relative to something else :) you've also probably included a little too much detail for a describe question (for an exam situation in any case). I would have probably answered like this:

The idea of relativity encapsulates the idea that all motion must be measured relative to something else. That is, the velocity of an inertial frame of reference cannot be determined without reference to another inertial frame (and you cannot determine the velocity of a non-inertial frame of reference at all).

In an exam, that's about 4 lines - Definitely enough for a 2 mark Describe question ;D hope this helps!!

If it was like 4 marks DEFINITELY include GALILEO because he's the dude that found out about relativity not Einstein. Galileo's thought experiment with dropping something off the top of a ship and having an external observer sees that it drops straight for the guy on the ship but parabolic for an external observer, displaying relativity.

Galileo had 2 postulates!
1) You cannot determine if you are moving or at rest on an inertial frame with any mechanical experiment.
2) The laws of physics are true in all inertial frames.

I can't remember the second one but I think that's it.

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 12:09:57 pm »
If it was like 4 marks DEFINITELY include GALILEO because he's the dude that found out about relativity not Einstein. Galileo's thought experiment with dropping something off the top of a ship and having an external observer sees that it drops straight for the guy on the ship but parabolic for an external observer, displaying relativity.

Galileo had 2 postulates!
1) You cannot determine if you are moving or at rest on an inertial frame with any mechanical experiment.
2) The laws of physics are true in all inertial frames.

I can't remember the second one but I think that's it.

Great call - I totally agree, if they bumped to 4 marks on "explaining" it then Galileo would be a must (perhaps a mention of him wouldn't have gone astray in my 2 mark answer too) ;D