Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 06:46:41 pm

Author Topic: Resources/Advice: QURAN  (Read 6806 times)  Share 

anat0my

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +6
Resources/Advice: QURAN
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:48:47 pm »
+9
Hello fellow T.T students :) Listed below are some of the resources that I've used that you may find of some benefit in your study. One of the things I've loved about T.T is the researching/wider reading required to find information given the lack of commercial study guides.

-The main commentary I used was 'In the Shade of the Quran' by Sayyid Qutba.
(Volumes can be found here: https://www.kalamullah.com/shade-of-the-quran.html)

This was an excellent resource that I'd definitely recommend especially for exegetical responses. The commentary in these volumes are quite in depth, providing great socio-cultural and historical background. Although the depth may not necessarily be required at a VCE level, this resource is nonetheless great for providing really good interpretation of the verses. A must have.

HOWEVER, I'd recommend that you start with a simple commentary of your chapters. Ibn Kathir commentaries are more simplistic and direct so you can familiarise your self with the content first then refer to 'The Shade of the Quran' for a more deeper analysis. Moreover, Ibn Kathir commentaries also contain many Hadeeths that you may find useful in reference to historical background.

Google books are also another great resource if you want to find information pertaining to your set themes. Simply google your theme for example 'Repentance in Islam' and you'll find many books (or a few pages) that provide discussions about a certain theme. This may be helpful in refining your knowledge and expression as many of the books are scholarly.
As the themes for this subject change every year, I may not be able to provide links to a specific theme you're studying however below are some books that may offer information about the general Islamic history and literary aspects of the Quran (very helpful for exegetical responses);

'Interpreting the Quran: Towards a Contemporary Approach' By Abdullah Saeed.

'The Cambridge Companion to the Quran' – Edited by Jane Dammen McAuliffe.

'The Quran' – A new translation by M.A.S Abdel Haleem

'A Thematic Commentary of the Quran' – By Sh Muhammad al-Ghazali
For literary devices:

Another useful resource you can create for yourself is a word bank. Part of the criteria looks at use of theological terminology. The terminology can be English words and you can also add Arabic words (however do provide the translation in brackets!) Again as the themes/chapters change every year, I can't currently provide a list of words that are tailored to your specific chapters however here are some terms  that I compiled that may be useful;

(English)
-Pericope: Synonym for passage.
-Salvific: leading to salvation.
-Decadence: moral or cultural decline, debauchery.
-Declamatory: Vehement or impassioned in expression.
-Aphoristic: Short or pithy instructive saying.
-Polity: An organised society having a specific form of government
-Apocryphal: Fake.
-Apocalyptic: relating to the complete destruction of the world.
-Prophet [comes from Greek 'prohetes' meaning 'spokesman'.]
-Metanoia: Change in ones way of life resulting from penitence or spiritual conversion.
-Heresy: Belief or opinion contrary to orthodox religious doctrine.
-Hermeneutics: Branch of knowledge dealing with interpretation of a text.
-Atavistic: Relating or characterised by reversion of some ancient or ancestral.
-Diction: Phraseology.
-Anathemize: curse/condemn.
-Zeitgeist: defining spirit of mood of a particular era.
-Praxis: Practice as distinguished by theory.
-Eschatology: theology concerned with death, judgement.

(Arabic – again tailored to certain themes/set texts)
-Samawat: Heaven/skies.
-Ard: The earth.
-Maghfira: Forgiveness.
-Adab: Etiqutee/behaviour.
-Zuhd: ascetism.
-Tawakkul: Reliance.
-Risalah: Prophethood.
-Tayib: wholesome.
-Qisas: Narrative.
-Huqm: Instruction.
-Hoodood: Ordained penalties.
-Aqeedah: Divine instruction.
-Ulamma: Scholars.
-Murtad: Apostate.
-Tatghaw: Transgression.

6 Pointers to consider when writing/studying:

-Get to the point.
That is, make sure your first sentence answers the question that is being asked. Try not to stray far from what the actual question is asking. The best responses are those that are succinct and direct. The examiners are looking for facts and usually not sophisticated blabberings :P It's essential to read the assessors reports to know exactly what they're looking for.

-Master Timing.
Make sure you're able to finish writing a piece in the given timeframe. Practice refines this skill.

-Make connections!!
Look at the themes you're studying and try to see how any of them many interrelate.  The theme of justice and the theme of hereafter were among the theme list I had to study and I predicted an exam question by taking time to make a connection with them.

-Memorise verses/sentences.

Along with your themes you should try to affix relevant verses so that you can memorise them and embellish your writing by providing textual evidence. You may also wish to devote a notebook to writing certain paragraphs about your themes which you could review to consolidate your knowledge.

-Do well in SACS.

Talk with your teacher to find out what is expected of a SAC. Try asking for past SACS to gauge what is required to achieve good marks. Ask all the questions you may have.

-Converse!
Having discussions about the set texts/themes with peers can help significantly in consolidating knowledge.

Final words:

Enjoy the subject + study hard. Finding an appreciation for the text really does help in studying; it's a great opportunity to be able to study the literary and historical aspects of the Quran so I hope this thought helps you through the year.
Please feel free to PM me for any questions. I'm more than happy to help and even read your essays if you want me to.

Thank you for reading. :)

-anat0my.

heids

• Supreme Stalker
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +1632
Re: Resources/Advice: QURAN
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:20:05 pm »
Love it!  Thanks so much for doing that... I'm sure all the Qur'an studiers will find it so helpful!

Please, throughout the year can anyone with any other resources PM anat0my?
VCE (2014): HHD, Bio, English, T&T, Methods

Uni (2021-24): Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash Clayton

Work: PCA in residential aged care

MNM101

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 11:38:38 am »
Hi I was trying to compile some cue cards on my surahs for next year and was wondering whether the following website is a good idea to get my information from.http://www.theonlyquran.com/quran/Maryam/Maududi_Commentry/

anat0my

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 02:50:17 pm »
Hi I was trying to compile some cue cards on my surahs for next year and was wondering whether the following website is a good idea to get my information from.http://www.theonlyquran.com/quran/Maryam/Maududi_Commentry/

Yeah it's good information to familiarize yourself with the surah. However, I'd recommend also cue cards for themes and how they connect and another set for verses. Also consider for each section of the surah why and what the surah is conveying. But yeah the site is good.

MNM101

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 03:36:03 pm »

Yeah it's good information to familiarize yourself with the surah. However, I'd recommend also cue cards for themes and how they connect and another set for verses. Also consider for each section of the surah why and what the surah is conveying. But yeah the site is good.

By writing cue cards for verses do you mean the verses selected for special study? Or just verses that really highlight the message the Surah is conveying, and emphasise the importance of the themes in relation to the Surah ?

anat0my

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 04:21:07 pm »
By writing cue cards for verses do you mean the verses selected for special study? Or just verses that really highlight the message the Surah is conveying, and emphasise the importance of the themes in relation to the Surah ?

You can do both.