Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

August 08, 2020, 06:18:20 pm

Author Topic: VCE HHD Question Thread!  (Read 131263 times)  Share 

cfalzon

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: VCE HHD Question Thread!
« Reply #855 on: July 11, 2020, 10:30:48 am »
Hey everyone :)

Just wondering - how are the PBS and NDIS funded?
From my understanding, the PBS is funded through general taxation and the NDIS is funded through a combination of federal and state/territory funds? Is this correct?

Also, I've read that the Medicare levy was increased by 0.5% (from 2% to 2.5%) to fund the NDIS, but this has confused me because we've been taught in class, through our textbook and on Edrolo that the Medicare levy is 2%.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 10:40:13 am by cfalzon »

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +286
« Reply #856 on: July 12, 2020, 12:26:50 am »
+1
Hey everyone :)

Just wondering - how are the PBS and NDIS funded?
From my understanding, the PBS is funded through general taxation and the NDIS is funded through a combination of federal and state/territory funds? Is this correct?

Also, I've read that the Medicare levy was increased by 0.5% (from 2% to 2.5%) to fund the NDIS, but this has confused me because we've been taught in class, through our textbook and on Edrolo that the Medicare levy is 2%.

Thank you!
Hello! :)

You are 100% correct about the ways the NDIS and PBS are funded. Just one small note is that the PBS is funded by the Commonwealth / federal government through taxes (at least according to my teacher), but this is extra nit picky. You could probably get away with what you stated.

About the Medicare levy percentage, I think your Edrolo / textbook / teacher is correct.

Hope this helps! :)

Em.C11

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #857 on: August 02, 2020, 05:37:52 pm »
Can someone in simple terms please give me the definition of 'a double burden of disease,' i can't find it in the textbook. Thanks.

tiredandstressed

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #858 on: August 02, 2020, 08:52:23 pm »
+3
Can someone in simple terms please give me the definition of 'a double burden of disease,' i can't find it in the textbook. Thanks.
A double burden results in a rise in both communicable and non-communicable disease.
2019: Bachelor of Biomedicine @ UoM

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +286
« Reply #859 on: August 02, 2020, 09:11:23 pm »
+2
Hi Em!

A simple definition of double burden of disease is where conditions associated with poverty and conditions associated with wealth exist at the same time in a community. For example, undernutrition and obesity.

In a middle-income country, there may be people who are in extreme poverty and lack the income to purchase nutritious food, which can lead to undernutrition.

On the other hand, the migration of people from rural areas to major cities increases access to, and therefore consumption of energy-dense processed foods.

Hope this helps :)

Edit: the above poster beat me to it, but I'll leave this here :)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 09:18:55 pm by lm21074 »

Em.C11

• Adventurer
« Reply #860 on: August 06, 2020, 07:33:22 pm »
+1
Hi Em!

A simple definition of double burden of disease is where conditions associated with poverty and conditions associated with wealth exist at the same time in a community. For example, undernutrition and obesity.

In a middle-income country, there may be people who are in extreme poverty and lack the income to purchase nutritious food, which can lead to undernutrition.

On the other hand, the migration of people from rural areas to major cities increases access to, and therefore consumption of energy-dense processed foods.

Hope this helps :)

Edit: the above poster beat me to it, but I'll leave this here :)

Em.C11

• Adventurer
« Reply #861 on: August 06, 2020, 07:33:47 pm »
+1
A double burden results in a rise in both communicable and non-communicable disease.

Thank you :)