Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 06:06:11 am

Author Topic: Class of 2017 Discussion Thread!  (Read 214077 times)  Share 

pmmenotes

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +5
Re: Class of 2017 Discussion Thread!
« Reply #780 on: May 25, 2017, 06:49:54 pm »
+6
Am I the only one who feels sad how fast this year has gone by? Ive made some of the best friends and memories I have ever had this year and its sad to realise its almost over. I know everyone says uni is so fun but idk especially with the grades i have been getting, which indicates I wont be going to my top choice (monash) anytime soon. Sign dunno how Im feeling rn but unmotivated is definitely there.

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #781 on: May 25, 2017, 07:21:50 pm »
+3
Am I the only one who feels sad how fast this year has gone by? Ive made some of the best friends and memories I have ever had this year and its sad to realise its almost over. I know everyone says uni is so fun but idk especially with the grades i have been getting, which indicates I wont be going to my top choice (monash) anytime soon. Sign dunno how Im feeling rn but unmotivated is definitely there.

Yes, it's gone by so quickly. There was a time when I couldn't wait to finish school and when I heard the year 12s getting sentimental and wishing they had done more at school, I scoffed. But now, everything feels so fleeting and I feel closer to my friends than ever. I'm looking forward to uni but I'm scared I won't be able to keep up my friendships since we will probably do different courses.

I guess I'm still motivated, but it feels life is rushing past me and I have to stay busy to keep up.
UAdel MBBS

clarke54321

• Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +365
« Reply #782 on: May 25, 2017, 07:31:53 pm »
+2

I agree with this completely. Like Quantum said, I never understood why the year 12s felt so attached to the school and reluctant to move onto uni. But now I am in year 12 and we are almost in June, I kind of don't want the year to end. I can't believe my school formal is tomorrow. That is just an indication of how quickly the school year is going. Despite having felt more tired over the past couple of weeks, I'm still feeling quite motivated to give it my all. I don't think there's anything better than receiving marks on results day that truly reflect your effort. That is what I am striving for.  :)

BA (Linguistics) I University of Melbourne
Tips and Tricks for VCE English [50]

Essay Marking Services in 2021 for VCE English + Essays for Sale

samanthaakiss

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #783 on: May 25, 2017, 07:38:19 pm »
+1
I agree with this completely. Like Quantum said, I never understood why the year 12s felt so attached to the school and reluctant to move onto uni. But now I am in year 12 and we are almost in June, I kind of don't want the year to end. I can't believe my school formal is tomorrow. That is just an indication of how quickly the school year is going. Despite having felt more tired over the past couple of weeks, I'm still feeling quite motivated to give it my all. I don't think there's anything better than receiving marks on results day that truly reflect your effort. That is what I am striving for.  :)

Yes! I completely agree, this year has gone by so fast and while at the start I was quite keen to be out of school, Im now kind of dreading it. It's going by so fast and i'm so scared to leave

dradford

• Adventurer
« Reply #784 on: May 25, 2017, 07:42:47 pm »
Yes! I completely agree, this year has gone by so fast and while at the start I was quite keen to be out of school, Im now kind of dreading it. It's going by so fast and i'm so scared to leave

Omg so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way, everyone around me is so keen to get out but the real world seems a little scary!

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #785 on: May 25, 2017, 07:49:05 pm »
+4
Hey!

Chin up! I was pretty scared and worried that time was flying past too quickly at this time last year as well! :)
I believe that you can get to your first choice of uni! I know it's hard to think positively, but you have us here for support and you can do it! ;D

Motivation -
A few tips I can give here are:
- Take some time out- take a walk/jog/run! This can get you pumped/ready to do most things, such as study.
- Use some sort of 'reward' for studying/thinking positively/whatever. This could be something like taking an hour out of your day to read a book, eating some chocolate after study or even going to see the latest flick at the movies on the weekend. This gives yourself something extrinsic, so you can look forward to something tangible in the near future. :)
- Write on a sheet of paper a motivational quote/"you can do it" and stick it somewhere where you can see it. That way, you have a consistent positive reminder that you can do it. :)

Also- If you have any concerns with your mental health, I'd suggest beyondblue and LifeLine, as well as speaking to a health professional or counsellor.* :)
*There are other places/resources for seeking help, but I'm no expert. :)

(Hope this helps a little :) )
(Apologies if I took this a little out of context :) )
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:01:33 pm by insanipi »
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

qazser

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #786 on: May 25, 2017, 08:18:17 pm »
+4

It's really fucking scary that the year's gone past so quick. We're halfway there now, and all the memories made in the past 6 months have been nothing but sensational. All my mates, the workload, school will all be gone soon and its really really scary.

With anyone, nothing is over until the day your results come out. Even then, (this is probably cliche as fuck), you can take so many different pathways to get to that top choice. It might take an extra semester of uni, or even a year, but you will get there.

And don't rely on motivation for anything. It's fleeting, its unreliable. Self-discipline, on the other hand, is unyielding, Force youself to put in those little steps towards success every day. Even the smallest, seemingly insignificant 5 minutes you do today compounds up and leaves you in a better position to face that final exam.

Push through mate, you can do it!
AN Chat: Hop On!

2016:Methods[   ]

patriciarose

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #787 on: May 25, 2017, 08:36:33 pm »

definitely feeling this tbh. looking forward to uni but i'm going to miss highschool. a lot of my friends are taking gap years to travel and hardly any are continuing on to uni, so it'll be super different next year and that's kind of terrifying!

i'm sure you can still get into monash! maybe your teachers are harsh markers? your grades could change after the exam (: also, even if you don't get the grade for your exact course (i definitely won't) you can always get into a different course at monash and try to transfer (:  i know what you mean about being demotivated, though. :/
SUBJECTS |  English [47], Literature [46], Extension History @LTU [4.5]

ATAR (2017) | 95.95

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
« Reply #788 on: May 25, 2017, 09:01:38 pm »
+1
I feel like this year has been the fastest year so far. Maybe it's because everyday I have so much to do. Even on the days I take breaks, I feel like it goes away in an instant and I have to put my head down and work the next day. I'm kind of feeling sentimental about my school life, but I'm a really sentimental person. I feel like this year, I've gotten closer to some people that I were already friends with and made some new friends. But, I also feel like me and a couple of friends are drifting apart, since different groups of my friends do different things and hang out at different places during recess and lunch. Generally I prefer to hang in the library at recess so I can study a bit and outside the library at lunch time so I can eat my lunch and chill and maybe go inside the library to study, which basically means that I rarely see some of my friends.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 09:03:09 pm by zhen »

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #789 on: May 25, 2017, 09:21:03 pm »
+3
Gonna jump in here and offer some words of support and advice!

You guys definitely aren't alone in feeling sad about high school ending. Last year, I spent a lot of time thinking about how sad it was that high school was almost over. Like I got to the point where I didn't want to go to school each day because it meant that I was one day closer to finishing. You guys are totally within your right to be sad about a large part of your life coming to an end :) But try not to worry - the end of the year is still a long way away, and it will come no matter how hard you try to make time stop passing ;) In the mean time, treasure the memories you make with your friends and teachers, take lots of photos and write stuff down, because they are great things to come back to in the future.

And try not to stress about next year! Easier said than done, I know, but you have a long time until exams and your performance in school right now is not necessarily a good indicator of how you'll go with exams and your ATAR. Just focus on trying your best in your SACs and exams, and leave which preference you'll get into up to the unis ;)
Plus, even if you don't get the ATAR you wanted, that doesn't necessarily exclude you from your top preference, and even if it does, there are so many different pathways into what you want to do. It might take an extra semester or two, or an extra few years, but in the end, if it's something you really want to do, that will hopefully be a price you're willing to pay. :)
Or alternatively, you might end up doing something else and decide that what you originally wanted to do isn't actually something you want to do! I've seen this happen first hand with a lot of my friends.

Uni is different to high school, and you probably will miss high school when you get to uni. But uni is a different experience, and provides a new opportunity to form more memories and friendships, to develop your identity, and mature as a person. Change doesn't have to be a bad thing. There's heaps of inspirational quotes about this on the internet, can guarantee that going and reading them will make you feel better.

Life will happen, no matter what you do. But you can influence how it pans out. And exactly like qazser said (and I'm pretty sure I saw that quote originally on reddit or something :P), you can't rely on motivation to do everything - if you did, nothing would ever get done! Self discipline is such an important attribute to have not only in high school, but also later in life, and now is a great time to work on it and develop it.

If you are struggling though, or feel like you need to verbalise your thoughts to someone, don't be afraid to speak to someone - a teacher, counsellor or someone similar! :)

Here's some articles from AN that have some really relevant words:
https://atarnotes.com/what-i-wish-i-knew-about-vce/
https://atarnotes.com/difficult-circumstances-vce/

Hydroxyl

• Trendsetter
  • Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #790 on: May 25, 2017, 10:10:43 pm »
+2

You guys definitely aren't alone in feeling sad about high school ending. Last year, I spent a lot of time thinking about how sad it was that high school was almost over. Like I got to the point where I didn't want to go to school each day because it meant that I was one day closer to finishing. You guys are totally within your right to be sad about a large part of your life coming to an end :) But try not to worry - the end of the year is still a long way away, and it will come no matter how hard you try to make time stop passing ;) In the mean time, treasure the memories you make with your friends and teachers, take lots of photos and write stuff down, because they are great things to come back to in the future.

And try not to stress about next year! Easier said than done, I know, but you have a long time until exams and your performance in school right now is not necessarily a good indicator of how you'll go with exams and your ATAR. Just focus on trying your best in your SACs and exams, and leave which preference you'll get into up to the unis ;)
Plus, even if you don't get the ATAR you wanted, that doesn't necessarily exclude you from your top preference, and even if it does, there are so many different pathways into what you want to do. It might take an extra semester or two, or an extra few years, but in the end, if it's something you really want to do, that will hopefully be a price you're willing to pay. :)
Or alternatively, you might end up doing something else and decide that what you originally wanted to do isn't actually something you want to do! I've seen this happen first hand with a lot of my friends.

Uni is different to high school, and you probably will miss high school when you get to uni. But uni is a different experience, and provides a new opportunity to form more memories and friendships, to develop your identity, and mature as a person. Change doesn't have to be a bad thing. There's heaps of inspirational quotes about this on the internet, can guarantee that going and reading them will make you feel better.

Life will happen, no matter what you do. But you can influence how it pans out. And exactly like qazser said (and I'm pretty sure I saw that quote originally on reddit or something :P), you can't rely on motivation to do everything - if you did, nothing would ever get done! Self discipline is such an important attribute to have not only in high school, but also later in life, and now is a great time to work on it and develop it.

If you are struggling though, or feel like you need to verbalise your thoughts to someone, don't be afraid to speak to someone - a teacher, counsellor or someone similar! :)

Wise words :D
2016: Biology [41] | Further Mathematics [42]
2017: Chemistry [36] | Mathematical Methods [38] | English [44] | Psychology [50 + Premier's Award]
ATAR: 98.25
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Science (Psychology) — The University of Melbourne
2021-2024: Doctor of Medicine — Griffith University (Gold Coast)
~ My Success is only from Allah ~

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #791 on: May 29, 2017, 12:02:10 am »
+1

Thank-you for sharing this! Great read :)

beverlycheeeee

• Adventurer
« Reply #792 on: May 31, 2017, 01:30:49 pm »
Hello everyone :,) I am unsure if I should drop Revolutions or not- I love history but I am really struggling in this subject- I am spending up to 50% of my study time on history, and yet I am still struggling and my SAC last time was 25/50 with a cheat sheet. I have 5 subjects left if I drop history- I did Chinese first language in year 10- where I got a 23.
Should I drop history or not? : (

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #793 on: May 31, 2017, 04:39:34 pm »
Hello everyone :,) I am unsure if I should drop Revolutions or not- I love history but I am really struggling in this subject- I am spending up to 50% of my study time on history, and yet I am still struggling and my SAC last time was 25/50 with a cheat sheet. I have 5 subjects left if I drop history- I did Chinese first language in year 10- where I got a 23.
Should I drop history or not? : (

Hey hun,

I really feel you!! If you are already doing 5 subjects, you should DEFINITELY drop the 6th subject because:

-You mentioned that it is very time consuming and the results are not paying off
-You already have 5 subjects so the 6th subject will not contribute much to your ATAR(unless it is the top 4)
-BTW you already did a 6th subject, That's enough!!!!!!
- If you are aiming for anything above 95 for an ATAR, this is more than possible with only 5 subjects!!

Hope this helped you!

Mariamnourine

• Forum Regular
  • Be a voice, not an Echo
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #794 on: May 31, 2017, 04:44:28 pm »
Hey hun,

I really feel you!! If you are already doing 5 subjects, you should DEFINITELY drop the 6th subject because:

-You mentioned that it is very time consuming and the results are not paying off
-You already have 5 subjects so the 6th subject will not contribute much to your ATAR(unless it is the top 4)
-BTW you already did a 6th subject, That's enough!!!!!!
- If you are aiming for anything above 95 for an ATAR, this is more than possible with only 5 subjects!!

Hope this helped you!

And one more thing: STOP STRESSING yourself, when you do a lot of subjects if doesn't necessarily guarantee a good ATAR, but doing less subjects and focusing on acing them,will guarantee a better ATAR! Remember quality over quantity!
2017: TT, Psychology, Further, English, BusMan

2018 : Nursing [Clinical leadership] /midwifery @ Deakin

You can't always win, but don't be afraid to fail.