Login | Register
Enrol now for our new online tutoring program. Learn from the best tutors. Get amazing results. Learn more.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

October 27, 2020, 08:55:08 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 1850293 times)  Share 

SmartWorker

• Trendsetter
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +43
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #12960 on: September 18, 2020, 02:05:21 pm »
+5
Hey all,
would anyone know what a specific definition of DNA/RNA be?

Both are macromolecules that contain genetic information, known as nucleic acids. You will need to know the differences between DNA and RNA (in terms of structure and function). DNA is deoxyribonucleic acid whereas RNA is ribonucleic acid.
"Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be kind. Always." ― Brad Meltzer

rukayabal

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12961 on: September 18, 2020, 03:38:19 pm »
Both are macromolecules that contain genetic information, known as nucleic acids. You will need to know the differences between DNA and RNA (in terms of structure and function). DNA is deoxyribonucleic acid whereas RNA is ribonucleic acid.

Thanks

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #12962 on: September 18, 2020, 04:21:26 pm »
My teacher said Parallel evolution and convergent is the same thing and now I am confused

rukayabal

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #12963 on: September 18, 2020, 04:31:57 pm »
+2
My teacher said Parallel evolution and convergent is the same thing and now I am confused

They are. These are definitions that i copied off the web:

Parallel evolution is the similar development of a trait in distinct species that are not closely related, but share a similar original trait in response to similar evolutionary pressure.

Convergent evolution creates analogous structures that have similar form or function but were not present in the last common ancestor of those groups due to similar selection pressures.

As you can see, they are the same thing as they involve the evolution of analagous structures due to similar selection pressures.
 However, this is irrelevant to the 2020 study design.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3011
« Reply #12964 on: September 18, 2020, 10:59:34 pm »
+2
Hey Bri,

I'm sorry to say this but I have to disagree with you, to an extent. I mean, since I'm a QCE student, this may or may not correspond with the VCE curriculum, but when we do our Unit 3&4 exams, my teachers have constantly reminded us about the assumed knowledge (usually Unit 1&2 content) that we may need to know for our papers.

For example, in my Unit 3&4 General Mathematics mock exam last week, a question popped up about multiplying and adding matrices which is what I essentially learnt about in Unit 1&2. However, I'm not sure if this also applies to science subjects, but it could which is why we should be prepared for the worst-case scenairo.

But to whoever are in the process of studying for their Unit 3&4 exams, please note that you shouldn't stress about assumed knowledge too much as it may appear only once in your paper or not at all, and the main focus of your upcoming exams are actually about Unit 3&4 so please prioritise this content over assumed knowledge.

Hopefully, this helps to clarify anything :)

Have a great week and kind regards,

Darcy Dillon.

Hey Darcy,

Yeah absolutely for QCE 1&2 is assumed knowledge (although not likely to be the active focus of testing, you may still need it); for VCE biology students don't need to worry about things that are units 1&2 specific (not even as a "to be safe" thing).

I'm not really adding substantial to Sine's reply but I thought I'd give you some context for why VCE content can be treated a bit differently.

VCE students have the advantage of dozens of past exam papers which aren't all relevant anymore but still aid understanding of assessment which unfortunately QCE doesn't have yet, this + different directions in VCE study designs vs QCE syllabuses help us be able to speak confidently on some VCE things where in QCE playing it safer is the smarter move.

Good to see you around again btw

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #12965 on: September 19, 2020, 07:18:19 pm »
Hi!! I got this mc question and I was wondering if this is assessable this year?
Two fossils had limb-like appendages and so scientists determined that they are analogous structures. As they are analogous structures, they must have shared similar
A. selection pressures
B. DNA sequences
C. RNA sequences
D. environments
2020: Biology
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12966 on: September 19, 2020, 08:20:35 pm »
+4
Is the answer A

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #12967 on: September 19, 2020, 08:28:09 pm »
+4
Hi!! I got this mc question and I was wondering if this is assessable this year?
Two fossils had limb-like appendages and so scientists determined that they are analogous structures. As they are analogous structures, they must have shared similar
A. selection pressures
B. DNA sequences
C. RNA sequences
D. environments

I think it is because analogous and homologous are part of comparative anatomy which is still on the study design. And like chocolate pistachio said the answer is A :D
I was previously known as “CoolgalborninLo” I’m sure you’ve seen me sauntering around the forums.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

homeworkisapotato

• MOTM: Aug 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +169
« Reply #12968 on: September 19, 2020, 08:54:32 pm »
Thank you so much guys! I misread the question and put B like an idiot smh. Thank you so much!
2020: Biology
2021: Methods, Chemistry, HHD, English, Further
Selective School Entry Tips

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12969 on: September 19, 2020, 11:52:22 pm »
For allele frequencies to remain constant in a population it is essential that
A mutations occur
B genetic drift occurs
C mating occurs at random in the population
D there is regular migration into

Would this be c

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I'm not smart, I just wear glasses...
  • Respect: +231
« Reply #12970 on: September 20, 2020, 12:05:02 am »
+6
For allele frequencies to remain constant in a population it is essential that
A mutations occur
B genetic drift occurs
C mating occurs at random in the population
D there is regular migration into

Would this be c

Yes, the answer should be C :)
Idk if you look at the Hardy-Weinberg Equilibrium in VCE, but it posits that allele frequencies will remain constant over generations if:
- no mutation occurs
- individuals mate randomly
- there is no gene flow
- there is an infinite population size
- there is no selection
We also know that mutations can introduce new alleles (thus altering allelic frequencies), genetic drift causes changes in allelic frequencies, and that migration can introduce new alleles (similar to a mutation in that this will alter allelic frequencies). Thus, the answer should be C: mating randomly helps ensure that allele frequencies remain constant :)
QCE 2020: Physics || Psychology || Biology || Mathematical Methods || General English || Study of Religion

Aspirations: Secondary Education - Mathematics and Science

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3011
« Reply #12971 on: September 20, 2020, 09:37:07 am »
+3

Exactly! 
In the previous study design HWE was in but not anymore.

Beyond this: HWE tells us that allele frequency follows these rules where p and q are the only alleles at one locus:
1 = p + q
1 = (p+q)^2 = pp + 2pq + qq

With assortative mating (reproduction more likely between similar individuals) you get more homozygotes (pp and qq) and less heterozygotes (pq) than you'd expect and the opposite for dissortative mating.

Again you don't need to know this,  just there if you're interested :)

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12972 on: September 20, 2020, 06:29:33 pm »
Bats and birds are flying vertebrates -they share similar traits. Do these similarities reflect convergent evolution or common ancestry?

Is it convergent evolution

Owlbird83

• MOTM: Sep 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +424
« Reply #12973 on: September 20, 2020, 07:21:48 pm »
+4
Bats and birds are flying vertebrates -they share similar traits. Do these similarities reflect convergent evolution or common ancestry?

Is it convergent evolution
Yeah, you are right. They evolved wings that are very different independently.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #12974 on: September 20, 2020, 07:32:22 pm »
thanks

i'm not sure how to answer this question
why do you think the hawk, although a descendent of the most recent common ancestor, is not included in the dinosaur group