Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

August 19, 2019, 03:27:08 pm

Author Topic: VCE Biology Question Thread  (Read 1303822 times)  Share 

pugs

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
Re: VCE Biology Question Thread
« Reply #11850 on: August 02, 2019, 11:32:41 am »
is it right to say that a translocation mutation has no overall effect on the genotype/has no overall loss of genetic information because the same genetic information is present, but just on a different chromosome?

and, do translocation mutations have an effect on phenotype? (i'm thinking yes, but i'm not sure)

thanks! :)
2018: lote SL
2019: english, biology, chemistry, methods, further maths

2019 vce journal here

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Bad puns are how eye roll
  • Respect: +1944
« Reply #11851 on: August 02, 2019, 04:41:01 pm »
+4
Hi,
I am currently doing the unit 4 poster, and I was wondering if it is ok to reuse the topic I did for my unit 3 poster. It is on photosynthesis, and how different colours of light (wavelengths) affect the rate of photosynthesis. I am using a different experiment to do this, but it is still the same topic, is this ok that i reuse it? I know it is based on methodology, but.....
Would be a good idea to check with your teacher as it might vary between schools but you should be fine so long as you're not resubmitting work (so as long as the poster is entirely new you should be fine).

is it right to say that a translocation mutation has no overall effect on the genotype/has no overall loss of genetic information because the same genetic information is present, but just on a different chromosome?

and, do translocation mutations have an effect on phenotype? (i'm thinking yes, but i'm not sure)

Yes and sometimes. If the translocation causes half of a gene to end up on a different chromosome to the other half then it's not going to get transcribed properly, however the other copy of that gene will still work fine, so sometimes phenotype is unaffected. However, if two good copies of the gene are needed for the phenotype to be normal, then breaking one of them will affect the phenotype.
2019: B Environment and Sustainability/B Science @ ANU

xxxjss

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #11852 on: August 05, 2019, 04:14:33 pm »
 ??? :o :o Can someone please help with how to explain bio geography as evidence for evolution?
Is : As the distribution of organisms is not random and scattered, that is they are specific to a region despite similar selection pressures existing globally, it can be concluded that organisms must of had different ancestors that diverged in distinct regions to produce such poor distribution across Earth, correct?
:-\ Do I need to mention how present organisms are structurally similar to past in the same environment?
I can't be the only one who loathes U4AOS1.....

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:16:18 pm by xxxjss »

laura_

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Leader
  • happy, free, confused and lonely at the same time
  • Respect: +243
« Reply #11853 on: August 06, 2019, 07:23:02 pm »
+2
??? :o :o Can someone please help with how to explain bio geography as evidence for evolution?
Is : As the distribution of organisms is not random and scattered, that is they are specific to a region despite similar selection pressures existing globally, it can be concluded that organisms must of had different ancestors that diverged in distinct regions to produce such poor distribution across Earth, correct?
:-\ Do I need to mention how present organisms are structurally similar to past in the same environment?
I can't be the only one who loathes U4AOS1.....

Hey! I think that for this you are meant to discuss how species on different continents have homologous structures and have evolved from common ancestors. In particular, look at the believed shape of Pangea and how areas of land that are modernly on different continents would have once been connected. Then look at the species on each continent that evolved from a common ancestor.

I'm not 100% sure I understood your question but I hope this is some help.
give like the sun and the whole world grows tall - atticus

https://www.surveylegend.com/s/1nik

potterworld8

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #11854 on: August 09, 2019, 03:10:39 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has been to the TSFX exam revision lectures. I looked at the pricing for the lectures and with Unit 3 and 4 Bio lectures, it totalled to $280, and I can't afford that. So I was wondering if anyone could sell me TSFX notes or help me out by recommending cheaper but effective revision lectures for Bio 3/4.

bacteriophage

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #11855 on: August 09, 2019, 07:49:54 pm »
+4
I was wondering if anyone has been to the TSFX exam revision lectures. I looked at the pricing for the lectures and with Unit 3 and 4 Bio lectures, it totalled to $280, and I can't afford that. So I was wondering if anyone could sell me TSFX notes or help me out by recommending cheaper but effective revision lectures for Bio 3/4.

sorry in advance if this isn't much help but last year I know Monash University hosted two revision lectures during the term 3 holidays. One I attended was at clayton and ran for most of the day, covered everything and hardcopy notes provided. The lecturer they had was fantastic and notes were awesome.
I know the faculty of pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences also usually runs a shorter one at their parkville campus. I think the clayton one costed like 10 bucks to attend and the other is free.
In saying that I did a quick search and couldnt manage to find the details for this years ones, so you'll just have to have a look yourself and keep your eye out
good luck
2018 : Biology [44]
2019 : English Language; Chemistry; Maths Methods; Indonesian SL

Owlbird83

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +164
« Reply #11856 on: August 09, 2019, 09:05:04 pm »
+3

The AtarNotes revision lectures are free! Also, I recommend them, they were helpful!
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese

pugs

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #11857 on: August 11, 2019, 10:49:58 pm »
hey, are DNA profiling and DNA finger printing the same thing? some sources say they are, but some say they're different just wanted to clarify
2018: lote SL
2019: english, biology, chemistry, methods, further maths

2019 vce journal here

Erutepa

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • #
  • Respect: +400
« Reply #11858 on: August 12, 2019, 11:11:21 am »
+3
hey, are DNA profiling and DNA finger printing the same thing? some sources say they are, but some say they're different just wanted to clarify
Both terms refer to the same thing.
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 102 (with a dapper koala)
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points

sarah15

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11859 on: August 14, 2019, 05:41:38 am »
Hello!
I was wondering if it necessary to understand how to compare chromosomes in order to compare DNA from different species for Biology U3/4.
Also, why is it good that mtDNA has a higher mutation rate than nuclear DNA? Is it because it means that there are more changes in the organisms' DNA, so their evolutionary divergence can be determined?

Erutepa

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • #
  • Respect: +400
« Reply #11860 on: August 14, 2019, 06:31:46 am »
+5
Hello!
I was wondering if it necessary to understand how to compare chromosomes in order to compare DNA from different species for Biology U3/4.
Also, why is it good that mtDNA has a higher mutation rate than nuclear DNA? Is it because it means that there are more changes in the organisms' DNA, so their evolutionary divergence can be determined?
I am fairly sure that you do not need to compare the number of chromosomes, all you will need to do is compare amino acid or dna sequences.

Mjtochondias fast mutation rate does mean changes accumulate quickly, thus it is more accurate at indicating the relatedness between recently diverged species than nuclear dna.

Hope this helps  :)
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 102 (with a dapper koala)
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points

bi-and-ready-to-cry

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11861 on: August 15, 2019, 09:20:25 pm »

no they are considered different things. DNA profiling is an umbrella term for any sort of process where the DNA of an individual is recorded or examined. This can include gel electrophoresis, fingerprinting, comparative genomics (sequencing dna) etc.

I hope this helps!!

bi-and-ready-to-cry

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #11862 on: August 15, 2019, 09:25:41 pm »
+1
Hey guys!
What is a potato tuber and how does it produce offspring?

Does anyone know how many offspring vegetative reproduction works?

Thanks!!

hey!! a potato tuber are those little hard nubby bits that potatoes produce if theyre getting old. this is a form of budding as each of these little nubs can produce a new potato.
do you mean vegetative propagation? i believe they attach two stems together (one stem is called a scion and the other a stock) and are bound together. they then sort of reproduce (they dont produce a brand new offsping but they do share dna) to produce a plant with characteristics from both stems. 

leemsdang

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #11863 on: August 15, 2019, 10:17:31 pm »
Hi all, I was just wondering whether anyone had any recommendations for VCE Biology revision guides? I'm looking for one that will cover content for the entire study design for Units 1-2 and 3-4.

I've found one called 'Cambridge Checkpoints VCE Biology' but it's unclear whether or not it's simply exam questions with sample responses or actual content. Does anyone have any experience with this study guide?

Many thanks in advance!

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1359
« Reply #11864 on: August 15, 2019, 11:44:02 pm »
+1
no they are considered different things. DNA profiling is an umbrella term for any sort of process where the DNA of an individual is recorded or examined. This can include gel electrophoresis, fingerprinting, comparative genomics (sequencing dna) etc.

I hope this helps!!

Just want to add to this discussion that "fingerprinting" is a really bad term and I suspect that's why we've got a bit of confusion here. It's better to try to ignore that term and reflect on the kind of techniques that might be used to identify someone via their DNA. Fingerprinting is just one of those terms that used to be in the course and that runs popularly in the media.

Hi all, I was just wondering whether anyone had any recommendations for VCE Biology revision guides? I'm looking for one that will cover content for the entire study design for Units 1-2 and 3-4.

I've found one called 'Cambridge Checkpoints VCE Biology' but it's unclear whether or not it's simply exam questions with sample responses or actual content. Does anyone have any experience with this study guide?

Many thanks in advance!

Unless there's been a change, checkpoints are just exam questions.
MED INTERVIEW TUTORING PM to secure your place early, as they fill up quickly!

Join ATARNotes Footy Tipping

2013-15: BBioMed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019: MPH, UniMelb
Year I: BIOL10002 BIOL10003 CHEM10006 MAST10011 MAST10016 PHYC10007 SPAN10001 SPAN10002
Year II: BCMB20005 BIOM20001 BIOM20002 CLAS10022 GENE20001 SPAN20020 SPAN30014
Year III: BCBM30001 BCMB30002 BCMB30010 BIOM30001 BIOM30002 PHRM30008