Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

August 10, 2020, 11:55:31 am

Author Topic: The Good Books Thread/ATARnotes Book Club!  (Read 93372 times)

insanipi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos"
  • Respect: +2874
Re: The Good Books Thread/ATARnotes Book Club!
« Reply #720 on: February 01, 2019, 11:14:15 am »
+4
For those who are fans of the Handmaid's Tale, the sequel will be released on September 10!

The cover Penguin Aus has shown on insta is this:
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) (Drug Delivery, Disposition and Dynamics- focusing on molecular biol and editing of glowy proteins)
Follow my uni journey here!

r1ckworthy

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +297
« Reply #721 on: February 01, 2019, 07:10:21 pm »
+1
There are four books that come to my mind:
-Stoner, by John Williams (very distanced yet beautiful at the same time; gives you an appreciation for the ordinary moments in life)
-Sapiens, by Yuval Noah Harrari ( Will expand your perspective on life and humanity; the last chapter will give you chills!!)
-Down and out in Paris and London, by George Orwell (semi autobiographical, a favourite book: certain chapters will set you off thinking!!)
-When breath becomes air, by Paul Kalanithi (most influential book I have ever read; truly inspirational)

Obviously, I have not written ALL of my favourite books, but these are, for now, some of my favourites. Give them a read, and you won't regret it!

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:18:05 pm by r1ckworthy »
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

Bachelor of Physiotherapy @ ACU

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Halfway through Year 12... lessons I've learned so far. || Check out my youtube channel!

insanipi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos"
  • Respect: +2874
« Reply #722 on: August 27, 2019, 07:46:49 pm »
+6
I cannot recommend 'Scars Like Wings' by Erin Stewart enough- when it's released in October, I'll be buying a copy (I'm reading a review copy atm)

Synopsis from the publisher (CW: burns, scars, bullying)

16-year-old Ava Gardener is heading back to school one year after a house fire left her severely disfigured. She’s used to the names, the stares, the discomfort, but there’s one name she hates most of all: Survivor. What do you call someone who didn’t mean to survive? Who sometimes wishes she hadn’t?

When she meets a fellow survivor named Piper at therapy, Ava begins to feel like she’s not facing the nightmare alone. Piper helps Ava reclaim the pieces of Ava Before the Fire, a normal girl who kissed boys and sang on stage. But Piper is fighting her own battle for survival, and when Ava almost loses her best friend, she must decide if the new normal she’s chasing has more to do with the girl in the glass—or the people by her side.
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) (Drug Delivery, Disposition and Dynamics- focusing on molecular biol and editing of glowy proteins)
Follow my uni journey here!