Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:45:04 am

Author Topic: VCE Methods Question Thread!  (Read 4817487 times)  Share 

p0kem0n21

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +28
Re: VCE Methods Question Thread!
« Reply #19005 on: December 01, 2020, 09:19:55 pm »
+6
Hi, all any help would be appreciated!
A girl travels from A to B at 5km/h and from B to A at 4km/h. The
total journey takes 30 minutes. Find the distance travelled, 2d.p.

First things first, let's define x as being the distance between A and B (measured in km). A useful "formula" here is that distance divided by speed is time. Thus, from A to B, she spends x/5 hours ( x km divided by 5 km/h; distance divided by speed). Hopefully that's a useful hint for solving the rest of the problem  :)

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #19006 on: December 09, 2020, 02:40:02 pm »
How much of the textbook should I do before school starts? Homework is chapter 1 + 2, but I'm thinking to also start on 13/14/15?

The Cat In The Hat

• MOTM: NOV 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Do all to the glory of God. - 1 Corinthians 10:31
  • Respect: +344
« Reply #19007 on: December 09, 2020, 05:47:39 pm »
+3
How much of the textbook should I do before school starts? Homework is chapter 1 + 2, but I'm thinking to also start on 13/14/15?
I would recommend doing anything you feel particularly unsure about. For example, I found circular functions and probability difficult to grasp and thus would have been wise to study them over the holidays. But also remember to not overwork yourself and come fresh to the start of school! :)
VCE 20
HHD MM Revs (F/R) Eng T&T
ATAR 85
Uni 21-24: BNursing/BMidwifery @ Deakin
Y1T2:
HNM102
HNN122 (double)
HNN114
I hope I don't fail....
Listens to Amira Willighagen and Alma Deutscher and a little Marjolein Acke
~English - PM for P&P/creatives help~
Creative excerpts
Nur/Mid uni journal

For Narnia and for Aslan!

she/her

Basically inactive now. May change. Have a nice day.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #19008 on: December 09, 2020, 05:50:15 pm »
+6
You can really do as much as you want. However, going into detail for a few topics is always going to be better than superficially doing everything without the proper foundational understanding.

Snow Leopard

• MOTM: SEP 19
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #19009 on: December 12, 2020, 12:14:42 pm »
Hi,

just wondering if it's useful to print out the study design for Methods (Units 3/4)? Or if there are any useful documents from VCAA to print out and use throughout the year?

TIA

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +512
« Reply #19010 on: December 12, 2020, 11:49:13 pm »
+5
Hi,

just wondering if it's useful to print out the study design for Methods (Units 3/4)? Or if there are any useful documents from VCAA to print out and use throughout the year?

TIA

You should definitely know the contents of the SD, but I don’t see the point of printing it out.

For your second question - yes - past exams.

VCE: Literature [50] Methods [50] Further [48] Chemistry [40] Biology [33]
2022: Bachelor of Science (Mathematical Economics) @ ANU

TheEagle

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19011 on: December 13, 2020, 12:30:53 am »
+2
I agree with Colline. Printing some/most of your practice exams as soon as possible will save time later in the year when everyone is stressing about upcoming exams. Print a reasonable amount of them just so you don't waste any paper.

MoonChild1234

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #19012 on: December 13, 2020, 02:03:42 pm »

my opinion but I recommend you do as much as possible, especially if methods is your only 3/4. i finished all the exercises by feb and found this great as i had heaps of time to do prac sacs and prac exams as these are by far the most valuable resource :)
hope this helped a bit

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
« Reply #19013 on: December 15, 2020, 12:34:35 pm »
my opinion but I recommend you do as much as possible, especially if methods is your only 3/4. i finished all the exercises by feb and found this great as i had heaps of time to do prac sacs and prac exams as these are by far the most valuable resource :)
hope this helped a bit
How could you do like 17 chapters in two months? I don't think I have enough time.

I generally do every question, and take notes on each chapter.

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19014 on: December 16, 2020, 01:29:50 am »
+1
How could you do like 17 chapters in two months? I don't think I have enough time.

Don't do every question in the textbook. Do a couple of the exercises until you're familiar with the concept, then move on to the application/worded questions towards the end of the chapter.

Chessnutter

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #19015 on: December 16, 2020, 07:52:45 am »
+1

I managed to do all Methods questions by Feb, doing 3-4 chapters per day. I'd complete one chapter before 12, another until 4 and another after dinner. I'd do another if I felt like it. I went from an average student to one of the top in my class at a very strong school. Kind of annoying that some of those chapters were cut out because of COVID though.

Don't do every question in the textbook. Do a couple of the exercises until you're familiar with the concept, then move on to the application/worded questions towards the end of the chapter.
I was about to respond saying I strongly disagree with this (which I do, repetition helps tremendously in Maths) but then I noticed you got 50 for Methods. While I agree that the concept is the most important to know, the textbook does give lots of practice on a range of question types.
Offering tutoring for Algorithmics, Methods, Further and Software Development. Message me

Bachelor of Computer Science Advanced (Honours) at Monash

ATAR: 98.95
2019:
Software Development (45)
2020:
Algorithmics (40)
Methods (42)
Further (50)
English (42)
Data Analytics (36)

colline

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19016 on: December 16, 2020, 10:48:06 am »
I was about to respond saying I strongly disagree with this (which I do, repetition helps tremendously in Maths) but then I noticed you got 50 for Methods. While I agree that the concept is the most important to know, the textbook does give lots of practice on a range of question types.

Definitely agree that repetition is crucial in maths - it's just about making sure that you're not wasting time doing repetitive exercises that you already have down pat. The majority of marks on the final exam tests your application and it's these questions that students struggle with the most. Of course, if someone *does* have shaky foundations, then they would need to keep going through repetitive exercises until they can move on to the more advanced stuff. I just mean that there is no purpose in doing twenty pages of "find the derivative of x^2+3x" once you get to a certain point.

Chessnutter

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #19017 on: December 16, 2020, 10:53:58 am »
Definitely agree that repetition is crucial in maths - it's just about making sure that you're not wasting time doing repetitive exercises that you already have down pat. The majority of marks on the final exam tests your application and it's these questions that students struggle with the most. Of course, if someone *does* have shaky foundations, then they would need to keep going through repetitive exercises until they can move on to the more advanced stuff. I just mean that there is no purpose in doing twenty pages of "find the derivative of x^2+3x" once you get to a certain point.

Yes - though the textbook pacing is reasonable enough. There certainly isn't any reason to do more than a few if you have it completely down. I also found that if I did skip out on questions on one chapter I wanted to skip out on questions in future chapters, and I thought that mentality probably wasn't good to have.
Offering tutoring for Algorithmics, Methods, Further and Software Development. Message me

Bachelor of Computer Science Advanced (Honours) at Monash

ATAR: 98.95
2019:
Software Development (45)
2020:
Algorithmics (40)
Methods (42)
Further (50)
English (42)
Data Analytics (36)

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
« Reply #19018 on: December 16, 2020, 03:15:37 pm »
Is it worth jumping to 13,14,15,16,17 (stats + prob) on the holidays; the other topics we alreadly covered in 1/2, with only some new additions. It is also the topic I feel least confident with.

aspiringantelope

« Reply #19019 on: December 16, 2020, 04:32:15 pm »
Can I just double check that the study design for Methods in 2021 is the same as the current design? (obviously excluding the changes made in 2020)
Thanks! (: