Login | Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

February 26, 2020, 04:33:46 am

Author Topic: Monash General Chat  (Read 787256 times)  Share 

thenuttyprofessor

• Trailblazer
  • Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
  • Respect: 0
Re: Monash General Chat
« Reply #5790 on: August 22, 2019, 08:59:28 pm »
Yea uh not sure if anyone has asked this but looking the student accomodation page on monash's website, there is a gap between contracts. What do people do in that time? Where do they live, especially if student accom is there only hope, i.e estranged parents? Surely theres something for people in this situation?
When in doubt, toss a coin. In that moment as the coin is in the air, you will suddenly realise what you are secretly hoping for.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2311
« Reply #5791 on: August 23, 2019, 11:04:46 am »
+3
Yea uh not sure if anyone has asked this but looking the student accomodation page on monash's website, there is a gap between contracts. What do people do in that time? Where do they live, especially if student accom is there only hope, i.e estranged parents? Surely theres something for people in this situation?
You can apply to stay over summer :) they usually open up the applications in second semester some time. Noone gets rejected because there's obviously not a heap of people who want to stay on over summer. But there definitely are a number of students who do stay.
2017-2020: Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours)

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +52
« Reply #5792 on: September 12, 2019, 09:28:18 am »
+1
Hey everyone,

If you havenít seen the posters around campus - Jeffrey study buddy is a new chat app on Messenger that enables you to keep up to date with your deadlines for all of your units.

However, today I got a message from it that it can be used to check your preliminary exam timetables, which are usually only available to staff or people that study and work at Monash as part of engineering teams for example.

Just click here and youíll be able to access your timetables. I know that this works for Caulfield & Clayton units, unsure about Peninsula/Parkville units.

Give it a shot anyways and see what happens.

Hope this brightens up your day

Sine

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • ARTWORK 23
  • Respect: +1136
« Reply #5793 on: September 12, 2019, 12:47:26 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

If you havenít seen the posters around campus - Jeffrey study buddy is a new chat app on Messenger that enables you to keep up to date with your deadlines for all of your units.

However, today I got a message from it that it can be used to check your preliminary exam timetables, which are usually only available to staff or people that study and work at Monash as part of engineering teams for example.

Just click here and youíll be able to access your timetables. I know that this works for Caulfield & Clayton units, unsure about Peninsula/Parkville units.

Give it a shot anyways and see what happens.

Hope this brightens up your day

apparently someone already posted the preliminary timetable on stalker-space last night.

However, shouldn't this not be available to everyone since it should be only for Monash staff at this moment. (unless they have changed their policy this semester).

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5794 on: September 13, 2019, 01:51:09 pm »
apparently someone already posted the preliminary timetable on stalker-space last night.

However, shouldn't this not be available to everyone since it should be only for Monash staff at this moment. (unless they have changed their policy this semester).

Yep exactly why the google sheet has been deleted on stalkerspace.

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5795 on: September 24, 2019, 09:12:39 am »
Hey everyone,

Just a heads up that this week is election week for MSA 2020 positions.

Voting is simple as this year, unless you want to vote for every candidate you just put a 1 on the first page for your party of choice and you're done. Plus, there's voting boxes in the LTB this year, which makes it much easier to vote as the queues to vote haven't been that big from what I've seen.

Enjoy the last week before the mid-sem break!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 10:43:43 am by Springyboy »

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +2503
« Reply #5796 on: September 24, 2019, 05:47:34 pm »
+1
Hey everyone,

Just a heads up that this week is election week for MSA 2020

Voting is simple as this year, unless you want to vote for every candidate you just put a 1 on the first page for your party of choice and you're done. Plus, there's voting boxes in the LTB this year, which makes it much easier to vote as the queues to vote haven't been that big from what I've seen.

Enjoy the last week before the mid-sem break!

Also voting boxes in HAL
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 01:34:46 pm by Bri MT »

Professor Polonsky

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +98
  • School Grad Year: 2013
« Reply #5797 on: September 24, 2019, 11:32:48 pm »
+1
snip
Not sure it's a good idea to campaign for stupol here, for various reasons (least of which is that it violates the election rules, as far as I know)

Springyboy

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #5798 on: September 25, 2019, 10:43:22 am »
Not sure it's a good idea to campaign for stupol here, for various reasons (least of which is that it violates the election rules, as far as I know)

Fair enough I'm not campaigning though as I'm not a candidate, but deleted the middle section anyways

ddvv

• Adventurer
« Reply #5799 on: September 26, 2019, 10:19:34 pm »
+2
Hi, I'm currently in Grade 12 in Queensland and looking to study biomedical science at Monash Uni next year. I was wondering if people had any recommendations as to what hall I should stay in Ė I am looking at both the Residential Village and the Urban Community. Thanks!

Fluffball

• Adventurer
« Reply #5800 on: October 02, 2019, 02:29:02 pm »
Hey everyone!
Would anyone who is currently doing bachelor of IT please tell me the pros and cons of it and why you chose Monash over other unis that provide IT courses :D

thanks xx

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1434
« Reply #5801 on: October 02, 2019, 03:02:40 pm »
Hey everyone!
Would anyone who is currently doing bachelor of IT please tell me the pros and cons of it and why you chose Monash over other unis that provide IT courses :D

thanks xx

As somebody who has done a Bachelor of IT at a different university, honestly the actual content difference is minimal. For an IT degree, you should be looking at networking, industry placement internships / project opportunities as well. IT degrees are accredited by the ACS (Australian Computer Society) so they all have to meet minimum standards for this accreditation.

If you intend on going into industry immediately after graduation, work experience trumps qualifications. It is an industry that is heavily reliant on international workers and outsourcing.

For most undergraduate degrees, the university you go to does not matter that much. It is post-graduate that requires careful consideration as research quality etc. becomes more important. I would pick a university that is close to you or one that you can get to easily. 3 years is a long time and the title/prestige does not matter as much as experience and real-world practical skills. :)

If a uni doesn't offer many opportunities to network and practically apply your skills via an industry project etc, then definitely should be avoided. Technology is constantly changing so it's important that a uni you choose is up to date and offers emerging areas for you to learn about - e.g. cybersecurity (this has become a big thing particularly over the last few years). Don't forget about big data etc. too!

Hopefully you have an idea of what you want to focus on (e.g. a major or specific career pathway) if you are applying for this course - e.g. software developer, game dev, database admin, etc. and then you can target your learning towards that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 03:09:29 pm by Aaron »
BInfoTech, MTeach(Sec) Maths/Comp

Current secondary teacher

Website | Music History | Short Links

tid123

• Adventurer
« Reply #5802 on: October 02, 2019, 04:20:38 pm »
Hi there, didnít get a response on the thread I made but does anyone have a rough idea please?

I'm applying for an external transfer and I'm just wondering what the WAM would be to get into Commerce at Monash. I know the min is 70% but does anyone know the actual figure for the transfer? Also, if you're doing a double degree like Finance and Commerce, what would be the WAM? Thanks

AngelWings

• Part of the furniture
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +912
« Reply #5803 on: October 02, 2019, 06:35:34 pm »
Hi there, didnít get a response on the thread I made but does anyone have a rough idea please?

I'm applying for an external transfer and I'm just wondering what the WAM would be to get into Commerce at Monash. I know the min is 70% but does anyone know the actual figure for the transfer? Also, if you're doing a double degree like Finance and Commerce, what would be the WAM? Thanks
I donít know the actual figures, but usually a 75+ WAM (just in general for transfers) will get you there quite safely. Itís not a necessity though, as you mentioned, 70 WAM is the minimum.
VCE: Psychology | English Language | LOTE | Mathematical Methods (CAS) | Further Mathematics | Chemistry                  
Uni: (Hons)

VTAC Important Dates | Change of Preference Days 2019

tid123

• Adventurer
« Reply #5804 on: October 08, 2019, 04:19:20 pm »
I donít know the actual figures, but usually a 75+ WAM (just in general for transfers) will get you there quite safely. Itís not a necessity though, as you mentioned, 70 WAM is the minimum.

Thanks mate. Do you know if credits will be transfered? I'm doing a 1st year RMIT business course right now