Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 02:16:05 pm

Author Topic: Unit 2 scientific poster  (Read 896 times)  Share 

StaticZ1011

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Unit 2 scientific poster
« on: July 31, 2018, 09:17:15 pm »
Hello Guys
I am doing a scientific poster on context on visual perception.  i dont know how to put it in a hypothesis (my figure is the "b or 13"),  cause my hypothesis sounds really wrong and confusing, "it was hypothesised that students at BBC who were shown the figure "b or 13" with context will be more likely to...." and idk how to finish it off, i need help ASAP

Thanks

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Unit 2 scientific poster
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 06:47:23 am »
It was hypothesised that students at BBC (write out in full) who were shown an ambiguous figure would interpret the figure as the letter "B" when presented and the context of letters, and would interpret the figure as the number "13" when presented in the context of numbers.

Note: "more often" "more frequently" etc. is ok because you can directly test and measure that.  "More likely" is not,  because you are not directly testing and measuring probability

StaticZ1011

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 08:48:00 pm »
It was hypothesised that students at BBC (write out in full) who were shown an ambiguous figure would interpret the figure as the letter "B" when presented and the context of letters, and would interpret the figure as the number "13" when presented in the context of numbers.

Note: "more often" "more frequently" etc. is ok because you can directly test and measure that.  "More likely" is not,  because you are not directly testing and measuring probability
[/quote

Since i am trying to operationalise it, do i have to less specific about the hypothesis?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 06:37:33 am »
Since i am trying to operationalise it, do i have to less specific about the hypothesis?

Operationalising requires more specificity than a non-operationalised hypothesis.

When you operalise, you are specifying how the variables will be measured.
Eg. Students shown an ambigous figure will perceive it differently based on context.

Versus

More students will percieve the ambigous figure as a "B" when the letters "A" and "C" are adjacent to it than when the numbers "12" and "14" are adjacent to it.

Hope this helps