Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 23, 2019, 11:00:13 am

Author Topic: What are you reading at the moment?  (Read 6519 times)

insanipi

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos"
  • Respect: +2149
Re: What are you reading at the moment?
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2019, 11:55:12 am »
+3
Been in a slump with Ascension (Victor Dixen) and Mansfield Park (Jane Austen), so I've decided to start reading The Travelling Cat Chronicles (Hiro Arikawa) to pull myself out of said slump!

Eucalypt

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #151 on: May 06, 2019, 05:39:03 pm »
+6
I just finished the audiobook of Tell the Truth Shame the Devil by Melina Marchetta (one of my favourite authors). I'd read the book previously and loved it, but Zaqi Ismail (who reads it) made me fall in love with it even more. I highly recommend this one.

I've also been reading Bridge of Clay (the newest Markus Zusak) for a while, and I'm finally getting into it. I went into it expecting something similar to The Book Thief and was sort of disappointed when it wasn't. Anyway, I'm really liking it now, it's beautifully written, but beautiful in a very different way to The Book Thief.

Would love a recommendation on what to read next, they've been so good, I need something that can live up to them both.

lilac_23

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2019, 05:39:38 pm »
+4
I'm currently reading a book called "Homo Deus" by Yuval Noah Harari. Most people have heard of Harari through his book, "Sapiens", which covers how human civilisation has evolved over time to become what we are today. Homo Deus is the second of that series and focusses more on what narratives humans rely on to navigate today's world, as well as what obstacles humans will face in the future. He starts off discussing how in future humans will thrive for infinite happiness, immortality and, through the assistance of medical evolution and technology, divinity. Pretty thought provoking stuff!!

r1ckworthy

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Regular
  • meh.
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2019, 06:06:36 pm »
I'm currently reading a book called "Homo Deus" by Yuval Noah Harari. Most people have heard of Harari through his book, "Sapiens", which covers how human civilisation has evolved over time to become what we are today. Homo Deus is the second of that series and focusses more on what narratives humans rely on to navigate today's world, as well as what obstacles humans will face in the future. He starts off discussing how in future humans will thrive for infinite happiness, immortality and, through the assistance of medical evolution and technology, divinity. Pretty thought provoking stuff!!

Nice!!! I have homo Deus and 21 lessons on the top of my reading list. Really enjoyed Sapiens a lot, the last chapter was pretty scary stuff to be honest : :-\. Great book!
HSC 2019: English Advanced || Mathematics || Mathematics Extension 1 || Physics || Chemistry || Science Extension || Ancient History ||

The Yr12 journey- a diary I "hope" to update... || Send some questions to boost my ego :)

anna.comet

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2019, 06:31:37 pm »
+4
I just finished reading Clementine Ford's Fight Like a Girl, which is a KICKASS book and everyone should read it (especially men)!!

It's so important to understand the inequalities between men and women in contemporary society, and Ford does a great job of mixing in her own anecdotes, and research she has done regarding mental health issues, body positivity, eating disorders, intersectional feminism, rape culture and more. Further, she's a Melburnian, so I always love supporting local writers!

I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to be up-to-date on how to live and treat others in modern society (so... suitable for everyone)!  ;D