Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:55:35 pm

Author Topic: Consumer Law: recent developments, media, discussion  (Read 20011 times)  Share 

Mitchell.h

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Consumer Law: recent developments, media, discussion
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 06:33:01 am »
no problems Mitchell.h!!  :D

one idea is to split the essay into two, first answering encouraging cooperation, then resolving conflict. I think you are allowed headings throughout...? not sure...
for encouraging cooperation you could talk about stuff like awareness and self help, and Choice.
for resolving conflict you could talk about different governement bodies such as ACCC,(there are lots of cases where they have brought justice including ACCC v Prouds Jewellers in 2008),  NSW Fair Trading etc.

dunno if this helps! feel free to bounce your other ideas around!! :D :D

JD99.... you are a lifesaver.....!!!
Thanks heaps for that.... 8)
i have chosen self help.... do you think the Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co. case would be good to use as support?!?!

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 05:56:02 pm »
+2
Hey guys,
So I got some consumer law media articles together that I've gone through in class.
Thermomix faces Federal Court action by Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
This article talks about the ineffectiveness of mandatory sentencing for businesses as it is based on integrity and being honest. The company forced people to sign gag orders and was 1200 days late in reporting the incidents and only did so after it had burnt 14 users. The scale of this was also exposed by the consumer group Choice.

Exploding glass balconies in Melbourne apartments expose faulty building products
Shows that businesses can self asses themselves and in this way the law is lax as companies can come with false certifications. Can use for compliance/non compliance and effectiveness of the law.
Elyse, this one is based in Melbourne can we still use it (I was given it by my teacher but an a bit unsure)?

16-380MR Cash Converters to pay over $12M following ASIC probe
A report by ASIC. Can be used for compliance, enforcement and reform.

Why consumer protection laws need harsher penalties
Shows that for business and large corporations the fines given are often not enough and they need harsher penalties.
Hope this helps :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 12:47:05 pm »
+3
Hey guys,
I went looking for some consumer stats, and I found an Australian Consumer survey which was done last year.
This is the Australian consumer survey 2016!
It's a huge document but it has a lot of tables and graphs that may be helpful.
It is summarised in this Infographic
It has a bit of colour and shows how the stats have changed since 2011.
Hope this helps!! :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 02:42:07 pm »
+4
Hey, I got this article today and it's really recent  :D
ACCC appeals LG decision 25 September 2017
The main idea is:
The ACCC had alleged that LG made false or misleading representations to certain consumers about their right to a repair, replacement or refund in relation to faulty LG televisions.

The Court dismissed the ACCC’s allegations, finding that LG was under no obligation to inform these consumers of the existence of the Australian Consumer Law remedies available to them because the enquiry made by consumers related only to the manufacturer’s warranty. The ACCC has appealed this decision.

Lachlan Morley

• Forum Regular
  • School: St Augustines College
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2017, 11:29:06 pm »
+1
Hi all,

a great media article to use for negligance is

" ACCC sues thermomix over mishandling of burns cases"

This shows the effectivness of the ACCC in regards to enforcability and compliance aswell as meeting societys needs

mystermark

• Adventurer
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 03:24:31 pm »
Hello!!!
I am just working on an essay about the objectives of Consumer Law.
Can anyone please tell me what piece of legislation states that consumers have the rights to Repair, Refund and Replacement?!??!?
Cheers
Mitchell!!

You can even look at Fair Trade Act! x

mystermark

• Adventurer
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 03:41:10 pm »
Hey everyone!
So my second option is consumers and i am just wanting some advice on paragraph structure and arguments and any lil tips! :) x

mystermark

• Adventurer
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 04:30:57 pm »
Hi everyone! I need opinions on this paragraph:

Product certification is providing goods that meet certain minimum safety and performance standards before it is sold. CHOICE is a non-legal consumer body that brings attention towards consumer based issues. Their powers provide them to advise consumers and businesses, using their social media platform to bring awareness to these issues. Their limitations involve that they cannot enforce laws or protocols due to being a non-legal body. In October 2015, CHOICE investigated food companies who have been applying false canteen certification symbols on products stating that is a healthy meal. In a report written by Tom Godfrey who is a spokesperson for CHOICE stated, “CHOICE found 17 different industry-made certifications have manipulated the school canteen guidelines to promote nutrient-poor and processed foods…” On October 15th, 2015, CHOICE created a campaign targeting these industries to remove their false logos. The issue was referred to the ACCC for further action. CHOICE effectively fought in the battle of product certification through their responsiveness to complaints and their ability to take action. Their resources and access allow them to ensure that businesses are being ethical and that consumers are being treated respectfully.

I dont have a legislation, could someone please give me one?
-x

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 06:58:20 pm »
Hi everyone! I need opinions on this paragraph:

Product certification is providing goods that meet certain minimum safety and performance standards before it is sold. CHOICE is a non-legal consumer body that brings attention towards consumer based issues. Their powers provide them to advise consumers and businesses, using their social media platform to bring awareness to these issues. Their limitations involve that they cannot enforce laws or protocols due to being a non-legal body. In October 2015, CHOICE investigated food companies who have been applying false canteen certification symbols on products stating that is a healthy meal. In a report written by Tom Godfrey who is a spokesperson for CHOICE stated, “CHOICE found 17 different industry-made certifications have manipulated the school canteen guidelines to promote nutrient-poor and processed foods…” On October 15th, 2015, CHOICE created a campaign targeting these industries to remove their false logos. The issue was referred to the ACCC for further action. CHOICE effectively fought in the battle of product certification through their responsiveness to complaints and their ability to take action. Their resources and access allow them to ensure that businesses are being ethical and that consumers are being treated respectfully.

I dont have a legislation, could someone please give me one?
-x
Hey,
I’m not an expert but here are a few small comments. Overall your paragraph has some good ideas. :)

Spoiler
Product certification is providing goods that meet certain minimum safety and performance standards before it is sold. With my paragraphs I normally have a judgement in the first sentence. Also, maybe refer to Choice in your first sentence seeing as that is what your paragraph is mainly focussing on at the moment. Even something like, 'A response that is very effective in responding to product certification is the consumer NGO Choice.' CHOICE is a non-legal consumer body that brings attention towards consumer based issues. Their powers provide them to advise consumers and businesses, using their social media platform to bring awareness to these issues. Their limitations involve that they cannot enforce laws or protocols due to being a non-legal body. This might be a bit too descriptive depending on what the question is and doesn't directly relate to product certification. In October 2015, CHOICE investigated food companies who have been applying false canteen certification symbols on products stating that is a healthy meal. In a report What report? (don’t know how important the specifics are but might be good to reference the name of the article) written by Tom Godfrey who is a spokesperson for CHOICE stated, “CHOICE found 17 different industry-made certifications have manipulated the school canteen guidelines to promote nutrient-poor and processed foods…” On October 15th, 2015, CHOICE created a campaign targeting these industries to remove their false logos. The issue was referred to the ACCC for further action. CHOICE effectively fought in the battle of product certification through their responsiveness to complaints and their ability to take action. Good judgement! Their resources and access allow them to ensure that businesses are being ethical and that consumers are being treated respectfully.

In terms of legislation, I think there isn’t too much for product certification. It’s overseen by the ACCC under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Clth). Consumers can also make complaints to the NSW fair trading (under the Fair Trading Act 1987 (NSW) ).

Hope this helps  :D! Good Luck for your exams!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:07:44 pm by katie,rinos »

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture

shivansh

• Adventurer
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2018, 11:49:01 am »
no problems Mitchell.h!!  :D

one idea is to split the essay into two, first answering encouraging cooperation, then resolving conflict. I think you are allowed headings throughout...? not sure...
for encouraging cooperation you could talk about stuff like awareness and self help, and Choice.
for resolving conflict you could talk about different governement bodies such as ACCC,(there are lots of cases where they have brought justice including ACCC v Prouds Jewellers in 2008),  NSW Fair Trading etc.

dunno if this helps! feel free to bounce your other ideas around!! :D :D

I always felt that it was more sophisicated to have an essay that incorporates all aspects of the questions in every body paragraph instead of splitting it into two sections. For co-operation and resolving conflict you could mention the relevant legislation e.g. CCA 2010 and 99% of the time the lesgislation works to encourage co-operation and the remedies/redress aspects such as effective cases and SOME media articles would aim to reduce conflict and if these cases are resolved effectively then it would act as a deterrent and encourage compliance/co-operation and hence you have continuing links to the question throughout your paragraph and if you follow that structure for the rest of the essay it should help you set yourself up for a band 5/6 essay assuming your content and judgement is all up to scratch

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture