FREE lectures this September + October | HSC Head Start + Exam Revision: book here | QCE Head Start: book here | VCE Exam Revision: book here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

September 20, 2019, 05:54:20 am

Author Topic: UoM General Chat  (Read 2723395 times)  Share 

Orb

• Victorian Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +351
Re: UoM General Chat
« Reply #17910 on: August 17, 2019, 10:34:47 pm »
Not really imo. A BSc by itself is pretty useless for most of the part...

Have friends with BSc who've landed 100k+ grad roles at Google, Atlassian, McKinsey, BCG, Goldman Sachs, probably at a higher success rate than my BCom friends, but I guess it depends on what you define as 'useful'

anotherLoser

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #17911 on: August 18, 2019, 01:28:12 am »
Have friends with BSc who've landed 100k+ grad roles at Google, Atlassian, McKinsey, BCG, Goldman Sachs, probably at a higher success rate than my BCom friends, but I guess it depends on what you define as 'useful'

haha i can only imagine what wam + extra curricular they must have done to land those ! But i didnt know you could get grad roles with a bachelor of science, they must be exceptional.

DrDusk

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • π
  • Respect: +36
« Reply #17912 on: August 18, 2019, 01:42:41 am »
haha i can only imagine what wam + extra curricular they must have done to land those ! But i didnt know you could get grad roles with a bachelor of science, they must be exceptional.

Exactly. One of the reasons I'm taking Comp sci(apart from that I like it) is because my BSc(Advanced) is pretty useless by itself. If I wanted to go into research I would 100% need a Phd. I don't know of anyone who would hire me based on the sole fact that of having a degree in Physics..
HSC/Prelim Physics tutor
BSc(Advanced)(Hons Adv Physics)/BSc(Computer Science) @ UNSW 2019

Orb

• Victorian Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #17913 on: August 18, 2019, 10:09:45 am »
+1
Exactly. One of the reasons I'm taking Comp sci(apart from that I like it) is because my BSc(Advanced) is pretty useless by itself. If I wanted to go into research I would 100% need a Phd. I don't know of anyone who would hire me based on the sole fact that of having a degree in Physics..

Plenty of companies as long as you're in the top 2-3% of students :)

I'd hazard even the top 10-20% should be very, very employable straight out of undergrad

SPQR

• Adventurer
  • For the glory of Rome
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #17914 on: August 18, 2019, 10:33:42 am »

That’s incredible. any chance you know what major/s they did and approx how high their wams would’ve been?

Another question, how useful would it be (in terms of employment) if I also did a concurrent diploma at UniMelb? Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 10:37:04 am by SPQR »
2017: Classical Studies (41) | Latin (45)
2018: Classical Greek (39) | Chemistry (46) | Methods (47)
2019: UMEP Chemistry
2020: Literature

Orb

• Victorian Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #17915 on: August 18, 2019, 11:09:30 am »
That’s incredible. any chance you know what major/s they did and approx how high their wams would’ve been?

Another question, how useful would it be (in terms of employment) if I also did a concurrent diploma at UniMelb? Thanks.

Majors are usually irrelevant, WAMs would be 80+ min, mostly 90+
Diplomas are mostly irrelevant

M909

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #17916 on: August 18, 2019, 10:43:27 pm »
No, I know the odd one or two who managed to land engineering jobs, albeit we're talking easily 90+ WAM here and rockstar performers, the vast majority would have studied their masters. 
Other options include Big 4 banks, Big 4 accounting firms, management consulting, investment banking...

With a science degree these days the world really is your oyster

I'm a bit late here, but was this for software engineering? I would have thought you'd definitely need the official Engineers Australia accreditation for Civil, Electrical ect. Thanks for all this insight! :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 10:49:13 pm by M909 »

Orb

• Victorian Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #17917 on: August 19, 2019, 01:31:31 pm »
I'm a bit late here, but was this for software engineering? I would have thought you'd definitely need the official Engineers Australia accreditation for Civil, Electrical ect. Thanks for all this insight! :)

Sorry, yes, predominantly software engineering, although iirc there was 1 or 2 who got hired and had the employer pay for their training on the job.