Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:55:05 am

Author Topic: English Standard Question Thread  (Read 207555 times)  Share 

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: English Standard Question Thread
« Reply #720 on: January 22, 2020, 11:51:46 am »
+2
If I was to write body paras about these themes, how would I link it back to the "giving new insights" part. A better way to phrase this is, say, if I was writing about how Billy goes against everything and pursue his passion, what would be the insight that this gives the audiences about anomalies in human behaviours and motivations?

Hey, again!

You would always link back to the "giving new insights" part at the end of your paragraphs. This is what people call the "link" sentence in PEEL or PETAL bodies where you wrap it all up and inform the marker how the theme has provided you with a new outlook on "anomalies in human behaviours and motivations." If we use the example you proposed, Billy's rejection of the status quo can give us insight into how passion, while it may isolate an individual from what they have always known, can generate anomalous behaviours like Billy's gravitation towards ballet but how it is worth embracing. Here, you'd say that this insight encourages audiences to similarly find confidence to pursue what motivates them even if it means defying expectations. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

minh.tran278

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #721 on: January 23, 2020, 01:11:57 pm »
How should I practise for writing creatively since this has always been one of my weaknesses?
the problem I have is that my creative pieces are usually pretty cliche and the vocab I use is not really interesting (I'm not so good at show not tell)

minh.tran278

• Adventurer
« Reply #722 on: January 23, 2020, 10:34:53 pm »
Hey, again!

You would always link back to the "giving new insights" part at the end of your paragraphs. This is what people call the "link" sentence in PEEL or PETAL bodies where you wrap it all up and inform the marker how the theme has provided you with a new outlook on "anomalies in human behaviours and motivations." If we use the example you proposed, Billy's rejection of the status quo can give us insight into how passion, while it may isolate an individual from what they have always known, can generate anomalous behaviours like Billy's gravitation towards ballet but how it is worth embracing. Here, you'd say that this insight encourages audiences to similarly find confidence to pursue what motivates them even if it means defying expectations. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D

Hi Angelina,
just have some questions. If I decide to write about relationships that Billy forms along the way like with Michael, and propose an idea that even though anomalous behaviours can isolate you from the majority of the surroundings, it brings new understandings regarding the benefits of being different - being able to form valuable friendships and relationships. Do you think that still answers the question or is it a lil bit off coz I feel like the question is specifically looking for a new insight INTO the anomalies in behaviours and motivations.

If not, how can I slightly modify my idea so that the relationship theme fits into the question?

Cheers

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #723 on: January 24, 2020, 10:46:03 am »
+1

Hi Angelina,
just have some questions. If I decide to write about relationships that Billy forms along the way like with Michael, and propose an idea that even though anomalous behaviours can isolate you from the majority of the surroundings, it brings new understandings regarding the benefits of being different - being able to form valuable friendships and relationships. Do you think that still answers the question or is it a lil bit off coz I feel like the question is specifically looking for a new insight INTO the anomalies in behaviours and motivations.

If not, how can I slightly modify my idea so that the relationship theme fits into the question?

Cheers

Hey!

I think your argument is totally fine for relationships. You can just add on in the linking sentence that this in turn provides us with an insight into how aligning ourselves with those who share our motivations and behaviours will enable us to create lasting and rewarding relationships. It doesn't stray from the question at all!

How should I practise for writing creatively since this has always been one of my weaknesses?
the problem I have is that my creative pieces are usually pretty cliche and the vocab I use is not really interesting (I'm not so good at show not tell)

There's some great advice from kauac and myself in this thread here for creative writing which you might like to consider! If you find that your stories are too cliche, try and approach them from a different angle. An example could be writing a story where everything is a dream or hallucination; this is a total no no in English. However, you could have the same story idea and take it in a different direction, perhaps having the reader question the reliability of the character and being forced to determine where the line of fact and fiction is drawn. This article does a really good job at outlining some major writing cliches and ways you can avoid them!

As for show, don't tell, I always suggest asking yourself if you could say it in a way that would imply it instead. For example, if I were to take "Susie was cold", I could show it in three other ways. Through her actions, I could say "Susie wrapped a scarf tightly around her neck like a boa constrictor." Through dialogue, I could have "Susie commented, 'It's a bit chilly outside, isn't it?'" Lastly, through setting, I could show how "The room's air was spinning from the air conditioner. Susie stood shivering underneath it." This way, I'm not saying she's cold, but I'm showing it instead through her experiences. Every time you read a sentence when you're editing the creative, see if you have "show" something instead and have the reader make the inference themselves  :)

Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

minh.tran278

• Adventurer
« Reply #724 on: January 28, 2020, 01:49:00 pm »
how should I mark my own essay before I submit every time? I feel like that's what I actually should do when I reread my essay after I write it but what are some of the things I should be looking for when I reread it. Now what I really do s just read through it and don't know what works and what doesn't

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #725 on: January 28, 2020, 02:10:11 pm »
+3
how should I mark my own essay before I submit every time? I feel like that's what I actually should do when I reread my essay after I write it but what are some of the things I should be looking for when I reread it. Now what I really do s just read through it and don't know what works and what doesn't

Hey!

The first thing I always look for when I'm going over a draft for the first time is for spelling, grammar and punctuation. These are little errors that you can correct easily with Grammarly or any other spell-checking software. Even if you might think everything is looking great, it's always good to check over your work carefully in case there's a sneaky typo that you hadn't realised you made while you were writing the essay  :)

The key questions you can ask yourself from there should be as follows;
  • Am I answering the essay question in my thesis? Have I used the relevant concepts and terminology to show this in my overall response?
  • Does my essay have two/three distinct bodies with arguments that contribute to my thesis?
  • Do I have substantial textual evidence (techniques) to support my arguments?
  • Have I linked back to the question each time? How could I do this more effectively if I haven't?
  • Are there any awkward words or phrases in my essay? How might I rewrite them to make the essay flow and sound better?
  • Can I realistically write this under exam conditions? Is there anything else I should add and/or remove to ensure that I am putting my best work forward?

Another really good tip I could offer is to copy your essay into a Read Aloud software. Hearing your essay being read by someone else can help you better identify any areas of the essay that might need improvement and further revision. You can also make comments on your own work like "I feel like this sentence could be better worded. What do you think?" If you do all of this, it'll make the feedback process for your teacher/s much easier! Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 02:15:33 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

LoneWolf

• MOTM: March 20
  • Trendsetter
  • 2020!
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #726 on: March 16, 2020, 04:33:46 pm »
Hey'all

the line “I was weak at arithmetic. On such weakness you had no mercy.” from hellen garners text, 'dear mrs dunkley,
what is the effect of the technique here, i am thinking it is parrallelism; maybe synthetic parrallelism but im stuck as to the effect.
any suggestions would be welcomed, big or small.

THANKS HEAPS GUYS>
Business Studies
Economics
Modern History
English
Maths

zoeeoz18

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #727 on: March 17, 2020, 07:44:23 pm »
Hey y'all, anyone else doing Asian Australian poets?
I need major help on me essay, I'm not really sure how to write one well, so if anyone knows some websites that are extremely helpful;, please lemme know :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #728 on: March 18, 2020, 12:07:05 pm »
+2
Hey y'all, anyone else doing Asian Australian poets?
I need major help on me essay, I'm not really sure how to write one well, so if anyone knows some websites that are extremely helpful;, please lemme know :)

Hey, zoeeoz18!

Do you have a particular question you're working on for the assessment? That might help me give you some direction  :) In the mean time, here are some great resources for Contemporary Asian-Australian Poets to have a look into  ;D

Contemporary Asian Australian Poets
REVIEW: Timothy Yu Reviews Contemporary Asian-Australian Poets
http://cordite.org.au/reviews/contemporary-a-a-poets/
SPEECH: Jonathan Shaw launches 'Contemporary Asian Australian Poets' ed. Kim Cheng
Boey et al.
https://puncherandwattmann.com/launch-speeches/asian-australian-poets-launch-jonathanshaw
FLASHCARDS: Annotations: ‘Translucent Jade’ by Maureen Ten (Ten Ch’in U)
https://quizlet.com/au/437665206/annotations-translucent-jade-by-maureen-ten-ten-chin-uflash-cards/
INTERVIEW: “Home”- Miriam Wei Wei Lo
https://miriamweiweilo.com/home-poem-miriam-wei-wei-lo-nsw-hsc-syllabus
REVIEW: Heather Taylor Johnson reviews Ouyang Yu
http://cordite.org.au/reviews/heather-taylor-johnson-reviews-ouyang-yu/
REVIEW: Jaya Savige: Surface to Air
http://www.australianpoetryreview.com.au/2011/11/jaya-savige-surface-to-air/

Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

zoeeoz18

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #729 on: March 30, 2020, 12:42:11 pm »
Hey, again!

Angelina  ;D

Thankyou so much  :D, the question is,Poetry relies primarily on symbolism to create cultural tension.
To what extent do you agree with this statement? And then it says something like answer this question in reference to 3 of your prescribed texts. Which I have chosen are, Translucent Jade by Maureen Ten, New Accents by Ouyang Yu and Mother by Vuong Pham :)

Thx, Zoe :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #730 on: April 01, 2020, 03:55:36 pm »
+2
Thankyou so much  :D, the question is,Poetry relies primarily on symbolism to create cultural tension.
To what extent do you agree with this statement? And then it says something like answer this question in reference to 3 of your prescribed texts. Which I have chosen are, Translucent Jade by Maureen Ten, New Accents by Ouyang Yu and Mother by Vuong Pham :)

Thx, Zoe :)

Hey, zoeeoz18!

So for this question, you will need to explore how the language feature (technique) of symbolism has been used to represent the challenges, tensions and conflicts that emerge from identity and culture. If we are to look at Translucent Jade as an example, you could look at the symbolism of the "gift" used to explore the theme of heritage which inherently has tension due to the poet living in Western society.  I would find examples that either show this symbolism or use other techniques to enhance our understanding of the symbolism that lies in the gift of her name. Hope that helps and good luck with the essay!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

zoeeoz18

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #731 on: April 03, 2020, 04:36:14 pm »
+1
Hey, zoeeoz18!

So for this question, you will need to explore how the language feature (technique) of symbolism has been used to represent the challenges, tensions and conflicts that emerge from identity and culture. If we are to look at Translucent Jade as an example, you could look at the symbolism of the "gift" used to explore the theme of heritage which inherently has tension due to the poet living in Western society.  I would find examples that either show this symbolism or use other techniques to enhance our understanding of the symbolism that lies in the gift of her name. Hope that helps and good luck with the essay!

Angelina  ;D

Thankyou :)

slothologist

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #732 on: April 24, 2020, 04:44:56 pm »
Hi, i was wondering if you would be able to give me some tips on how to start formulating a multimodal as I am having trouble connecting my ideas (linking them together). How would I structure a multimodal?
Thanks
Thanks

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #733 on: April 24, 2020, 07:04:24 pm »
+5
Hi, i was wondering if you would be able to give me some tips on how to start formulating a multimodal as I am having trouble connecting my ideas (linking them together). How would I structure a multimodal?
Thanks

Hey, slothologist!

Great question! Think of your multimodal just as another speech except you also have to create a funky presentation to accompany it. The best place to start is to review the question you've been given by your teacher and gather all your textual evidence to use for it. Treat it pretty much like any other essay you would do. What I would then do is write up the transcript for the presentation. Once you know what you're planning to say, you'll be able to make the slides more effectively!

As for some tips for the presentation itself, think about how you want to represent your ideas within the presentation itself. Maybe you'll have the colour scheme reflecting the mood of your text, you'll have animations to illustrate the transition from one idea/theme to the next between slides etc. This is how you can differentiate your presentation from the next guy's because you're thinking like a composer yourself! Hopefully that helps but if you would like more direction, let me know what your question is!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

slothologist

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #734 on: April 24, 2020, 07:41:49 pm »
Hi,

About the introduction of a multimodal, I am a little confused about the structure of the introduction: From what I have been doing is starting off with a conceptual statement, and then introducing the text (a sentence of how the text relates to the question), and then three sentences of the ideas/themes that show HOW they relate to the question and that they are going to be talked about in the following three body paragraphs.

I watched your lecture this morning and it was really fun and engaging, but I just wanted to ask about your example of an introduction for Module A, where you listed the themes (power, prejudice and ownership) but didn't explain how it relates to the question....unless I didn't read it properly.

I wasn't sure if I should list the themes, or explain them because I was told that you had to show how it relates to the question.

My question (statement) is : The Castle is more than just a comical film that serves to entertain the audiences. Discuss this statement.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 11:33:18 am by slothologist »
Thanks