Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:59:47 am

Author Topic: How to answer the last question on the psych exam???????  (Read 9284 times)  Share 

JohnSamra

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
How to answer the last question on the psych exam???????
« on: October 12, 2017, 09:36:20 pm »
Hi everyone,
I was just wondering if anybody had any tips on how to score full marks on the last question on the psych exam? You know that 10 marker that has replaced Section C. What should I be aiming to incorporate into my answers????

thanks,
john

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: How to answer the last question on the psych exam???????
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 06:46:32 am »
+3
It depends what they ask, really.
Aim to analyse the experimental methodology and impact of aspects on validity, ability to generalise etc.
Demonstrate your understanding the the theory behind the experiment, and how that applies to the experiment.
Show comfortability with terms used in psychology, both in concepts studied and scientific methodology

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 03:23:27 pm »
+2
For the 10 marker regarding the dental office's pamphlet, the question asks for the psychological concepts used in the pamphlet as well as biological, behavioural model and social interventions. Make sure to pay attention to the paragraph above the referenced dot points as these will often have a question in there as well that needs to be addressed.

So for the question regarding how to address it, I would go with their 'at least one' of the following, and explain two (if time permits and if possible to) to be on the safe side and to add some extra understanding to the examiners since these will be marked off a 'very high, high ... etc.' instead of a dot point marking system.

Therefore, i would address two psychological risk factors and interventions, two biological factors and interventions, cognitive model (classical conditioning to precipitate the fear and operant conditioning to perpetuate the fear, and finally two social interventions. I think that ePsychVCE has sample solutions that also include the 10 mark question and how they would answer it.

EDIT: Sorry, just realised that I was accidentally describing the behavioural model, not cognitive. Cognitive Model is either memory bias or catastrophic thinking!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:41:34 pm by peter.g15 »
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

Butterflygirl

• Trendsetter
  • An evil ferocious demon.
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 04:01:11 pm »
We are only given a page and a half to write in so how are you guys going about including all the information?

Also, how are you guys choosing what to actually discuss? because its so open ended.

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 06:34:59 pm »
+4
We are only given a page and a half to write in so how are you guys going about including all the information?

At the end of the book, you're given some extra pages with lines. All you have to do clearly number your response on the extra page, and write something along the lines of 'continued at X (the number of the question) on extra space pages' at the end of your response where the original question was.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 08:41:00 am »

Also, how are you guys choosing what to actually discuss? because its so open ended.
Pick things that are most relevant and you can use to form strong links

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 01:55:12 pm »
+8
Usually, the last question asks you to write a discussion, design an experiment, write an introduction or evaluate the results.

If it is a discussion, I followed a set formula which almost always guaranteed me at least a 7/10 - because to get full marks, it really comes down to specificity and your understanding of the context they give you.

So to write a discussion (remember, past tense!)
1. Hypothesis (population - IV - prediction - DV - IV)
e.g. It was hypothesised that school students who are taught using a four week positive reinforcement program will have a higher performance in mathematics compared to before the program than those who don't.

2a. "This hypothesis was supported as the results were statistically significant with a p-value of less than 0.05. This means that the probability the results occurred due to chance was less than 5% (less than the limit for statistical significance of 5%).

2b. "This hypothesis was rejected as the results were not statistically significant, with a p-value of more than 0.05. This means that the probability the results occurred due to chance was more than 5% (more than the limit for statistical significance of 5%)

3. "The results further show this, because..." (quote the data given, note any trends, compare between control and experimental group - be as specific as possible here)

4. "The implications behind this is that..." (use key terms from the relevant key concepts you learned in the course, such as operant conditioning, Loftus, etc.; then talk about the wider applications to real life)
e.g. The implications behind this is that, using principles of operant conditioning (a type of learning involving formation of an association between a response and its consequences), were used with positive reinforcement. This increases the likelihood of a behaviour occurring again by providing a pleasant outcome as a result of this behaviour. Therefore, in order to improve a school's mathematics performance on tests and exams, the school should have their teacher provide pleasant consequences (positive reinforcement) for correct math answers while teaching.

5. Weaknesses (aim for 3 weaknesses - e.g. if an independent groups design was used and the impact this has; pros and cons and how the cons overcame the pros in this experiment. Definitely talk about confounding variables and what effect they had - again, be SPECIFIC to this particular experiment)

6. Improvements (aim for 3 improvements - e.g. "a matched participants design should've been used because..." - specificity is key here as well)

For an introduction, it should include:

1. Short background of the key concepts related to the experiment
2. Aim
3. Research hypothesis (general)
4. Operationalised IV
5. Operationalised DV

For designing an experiment (the question stem itself should specify which parts it wants. Usually it wants a hypothesis and procedure)

1. Hypothesis
2. Materials (may or may not be necessary)
3. Ethics
4. Procedure. Mention sample size, description of the sample (same age, same size, etc.), which experimental design (e.g. independent groups, etc.), include a short definition of the design for insurance, experimental and control groups, controlled variables, how to collect data, repeat experiment. Always remember to be SPECIFIC (e.g. for how long will you expose the experimental group to the IV?)

For evaluation of results (generally)

1. Hypothesis and whether it's been supported/rejected
2. How did the results show this?
3. Explanation of the results using key concepts
4. If rejected, what should've been expected?

Aaand that's as far as I could remember. For the discussion bit, I looked through my notes from last year (can't remember in that much detail XD)

Hope that helped!

- Cookie

...Hmm I should include this in my Psych guide...
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 02:23:58 pm »
+3
Usually, the last question asks you to write a discussion, design an experiment, write an introduction or evaluate the results.

If it is a discussion, I followed a set formula which almost always guaranteed me at least a 7/10 - because to get full marks, it really comes down to specificity and your understanding of the context they give you.

So to write a discussion (remember, past tense!)
1. Hypothesis (population - IV - prediction - DV - IV)
e.g. It was hypothesised that school students who are taught using a four week positive reinforcement program will have a higher performance in mathematics compared to before the program than those who don't.

2a. "This hypothesis was supported as the results were statistically significant with a p-value of less than 0.05. This means that the probability the results occurred due to chance was less than 5% (less than the limit for statistical significance of 5%).

2b. "This hypothesis was rejected as the results were not statistically significant, with a p-value of more than 0.05. This means that the probability the results occurred due to chance was more than 5% (more than the limit for statistical significance of 5%)

3. "The results further show this, because..." (quote the data given, note any trends, compare between control and experimental group - be as specific as possible here)

4. "The implications behind this is that..." (use key terms from the relevant key concepts you learned in the course, such as operant conditioning, Loftus, etc.; then talk about the wider applications to real life)
e.g. The implications behind this is that, using principles of operant conditioning (a type of learning involving formation of an association between a response and its consequences), were used with positive reinforcement. This increases the likelihood of a behaviour occurring again by providing a pleasant outcome as a result of this behaviour. Therefore, in order to improve a school's mathematics performance on tests and exams, the school should have their teacher provide pleasant consequences (positive reinforcement) for correct math answers while teaching.

5. Weaknesses (aim for 3 weaknesses - e.g. if an independent groups design was used and the impact this has; pros and cons and how the cons overcame the pros in this experiment. Definitely talk about confounding variables and what effect they had - again, be SPECIFIC to this particular experiment)

6. Improvements (aim for 3 improvements - e.g. "a matched participants design should've been used because..." - specificity is key here as well)

For an introduction, it should include:

1. Short background of the key concepts related to the experiment
2. Aim
3. Research hypothesis (general)
4. Operationalised IV
5. Operationalised DV

For designing an experiment (the question stem itself should specify which parts it wants. Usually it wants a hypothesis and procedure)

1. Hypothesis
2. Materials (may or may not be necessary)
3. Ethics
4. Procedure. Mention sample size, description of the sample (same age, same size, etc.), which experimental design (e.g. independent groups, etc.), include a short definition of the design for insurance, experimental and control groups, controlled variables, how to collect data, repeat experiment. Always remember to be SPECIFIC (e.g. for how long will you expose the experimental group to the IV?)

For evaluation of results (generally)

1. Hypothesis and whether it's been supported/rejected
2. How did the results show this?
3. Explanation of the results using key concepts
4. If rejected, what should've been expected?

Aaand that's as far as I could remember. For the discussion bit, I looked through my notes from last year (can't remember in that much detail XD)

Hope that helped!

- Cookie

...Hmm I should include this in my Psych guide...

Just a small note here that p-values are out of the study design now. Instead,  discuss the sample size,  selection procedure & EVs

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
  • Life.is.short-incorrect-Its the longest thing ever
  • Respect: +22
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 02:47:10 pm »
+3
I highly doubt the ER will be a discussion on results as the sample exam didn't list anything like that, and the actual exam usually doesn't deviate too much from the sample. Also, this year with the new study design, the 10 marker can come from anywhere in the course.

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 02:58:10 pm »
I highly doubt the ER will be a discussion on results as the sample exam didn't list anything like that, and the actual exam usually doesn't deviate too much from the sample. Also, this year with the new study design, the 10 marker can come from anywhere in the course.

Do u think it'll be all content??

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2017, 03:15:52 pm »
+1
Do u think it'll be all content??

I highly assume that. It will not ask us for evaluation, even my teacher said it'll be something similar to the sample exam.[which doesn't include discussion]. And from the sample you can see that the discussion is evident in other questions that are only worth 3 or 4 marks. I wouldn't stress too much about the ER this year, I'm confident it's gonna be easy.

jrose006

• Trailblazer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2017, 03:57:25 pm »
I highly assume that. It will not ask us for evaluation, even my teacher said it'll be something similar to the sample exam.[which doesn't include discussion]. And from the sample you can see that the discussion is evident in other questions that are only worth 3 or 4 marks. I wouldn't stress too much about the ER this year, I'm confident it's gonna be easy.

Really?! I'm so scared its gonna be hard- harder than last year. Especially that we have no past exams from this course- we have no idea what to expect!!
I just don't feel that there are enough practise 10 markers on just content/theory  :-\

Ashjames

• Trendsetter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2017, 04:46:40 pm »
Really?! I'm so scared its gonna be hard- harder than last year. Especially that we have no past exams from this course- we have no idea what to expect!!
I just don't feel that there are enough practise 10 markers on just content/theory  :-\

Yup, I'm on the same boat as you.The evaluation of research creeps the hell out of me. Even any question that requires evaluation freaks me out. But I wouldn't worry to much, because for my trial exam we were given a scenario and were asked to apply 5 stages of observational learning to it, which was a piece of cake. I know there isn't much resources to practice on- but hey look on the bright side- psych gets scaled up this year!!!

cookiedream

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +410
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2017, 04:48:06 pm »
Ah, reading these responses I realised it was a new study design. Oops, sorry guys...

Especially that we have no past exams from this course- we have no idea what to expect!!

Trust the sample exam! The same people who will be writing your exam have written the sample exam, so it is highly probable that the real exam will look similar to it. There is also a trend where the first exam of a new study design will not be that hard, but don't rely on this too much ;D (*coughlastyear'smethodsexamcough*).

Hmm, I remember how the A+ practice exam booklets had 10 markers based solely on theory (in one of the tests that I did, there was a 10 marker which asked you solely about sleep). Also, if you look through past VCAA exams there are also ER questions based on content. One example that I have in mind is VCAA 2011 Exam 1 where the question was "Compare and contrast normal age-related memory decline with Alzheimer's disease. In your answer, refer to key brain structures and processes involve in memory." Although, this question was 15 marks....
VCE: (click the links below to view my guides)
2016: Methods [44], Psych [48]
2017: Bio [50], Eng Lang, Chem, Spec
ATAR: 99.75 | UMAT: 88th
2018-2022: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

! No longer offering tutoring !

zofromuxo

• Forum Leader
  • Everything you want is on the other side of Fear
  • Respect: +203
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2017, 04:53:20 pm »
The sample exam is your best friend here and practice as well.
I wouldn't worry about it too much, in general when a new study design, the exam tends to be considered "easy" due to it testing the effects of the new study design on students.
Jack of all trades, master of none.
Hence why i'm in all these different threads and boards.