Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 07:52:58 am

Author Topic: Ask a past 50er + Psychology Lecturer anything you want about the course/exam!  (Read 5675 times)  Share 

kawfee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
Thank you  ;D

And also are tables actually allowed for short answer?

E.g

F.A.P.     Reflex
Difference.        Xxxx.      Xxxx

Example.           Xxxx.       Xxxx

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
Thank you  ;D

And also are tables actually allowed for short answer?

E.g

F.A.P.     Reflex
Difference.        Xxxx.      Xxxx

Example.           Xxxx.       Xxxx
Yes, they are allowed, but they should only be used when the question would really benefit from a tabular representation.

I'm a bit hesistant in recommending people to write their answers in tables because in the panic of the exam they might end up wasting more time by doing this. But if you're comfortable with it and you've done it in practice exams, then go for it if the question permits :)
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 

sandrab

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Mary's Coptic Orthodox College
  • School Grad Year: 2014
How can we distinguish between punishment and response cost ?
This question here: to encourage his noisy grade 3 students to work quietly in class, he sets up a rule
Which is not allowing students to play basketballs and footballs during play time.
The answer is response cost, but isn't it punishment too ?
Thanks

Slumdawg

• Victorian
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +65
How can we distinguish between punishment and response cost ?
This question here: to encourage his noisy grade 3 students to work quietly in class, he sets up a rule
Which is not allowing students to play basketballs and footballs during play time.
The answer is response cost, but isn't it punishment too ?
Thanks
Hi there,

For VCAA exam, punishment refers to positive punishment, whilst response cost refers to negative punishment.

It is important that you distinguish between these two forms, the former refers to applying an aversive stimulus, whilst the latter refers to removing a pleasant stimulus.

Hope that helps :)
2010 ATAR: 98.35 - Psychology [50] Media Studies [47
2011-'13: Bachelor of Biomedicine [Neuroscience Major] at Melbourne Uni 
2014-'17: Doctor of Medicine (MD) at Melbourne Uni 

Merlyn

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Hello!

What's the difference between adaptive plasticity and developmental plasticity?
My teacher simply tells us to link adaptive plasticity with rerouting and sprouting, and synaptogenesis & synaptic pruning with developmental plasticity... however, I took a look at the Grivas text book and synaptogenesis and pruning's under adaptive plasticity...
Both do occur throughout life though.. right?

Regarding the schedules of reinforcement, is it true to say that variable interval's the least effective and variable ratio's most resistant to extinction?

For stress, are the coping mechanisms part of secondary appraisal? or does emotion/problem focused coping occur after the individual has decided that they can cope?

Does both the central executive and episodic buffer link LTMs with the items in the phonological loop and visuospatial sketchpad? What exactly does the episodic buffer do?

And lastly, is LTP linked with consolidation? I find that every time I encounter a question asking me to describe the consolidation process, I write about the changes in the neurons (more neurotransmitters and synapses formed) as well as the timing.. etc, but the sample answers don't require that much detail...
Eng[45] Psych[45] Studio Arts[46]
2013: 97.5 ATAR
2014: BA@UoM

Feel free to contact me if you need help in any of those subjects. ^^

sandrab

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
Ohh thanks so much !!!! I get it now !

kawfee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
Extended response sect. c ALTERNATIVE SET of qs question 4

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/psychology/psych-spec-sampexam-w.pdf

Where would the 10 matks go?

I have few points as to where, but not quite sure  :-\

Also it tells us to explain whether we agree or not, does it have to be one or the other? Could i say i agree bcuz xxxxx, and disagree bcuz xxxxx

- agree/disagree
- exp design
- explain that in relation to the study
- comparison w independent design 2 mrks
-comparison with mayched participant 2 mrks

Feel free to correct and add more points.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:26:21 pm by kawfee »

Damoz.G

Extended response sect. c ALTERNATIVE SET of qs question 4

http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Documents/vce/psychology/psych-spec-sampexam-w.pdf

Where would the 10 matks go?

I have few points as to where, but not quite sure  :-\

- agree/disagree
- exp design
- explain that in relation to the study
- comparison w independent design 2 mrks
-comparison with mayched participant 2 mrks

Feel free to correct and add more points.

Could also talk about p values, and whether the results are statistically significant or not.

Can the results be generalised to the wider population? If not, why can't they? Usually the results cannot be generalised to the wider population due to gender bias, sample too small, etc.

kawfee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
Thank you :)

And also, should we know about the HPA axis and about the neurotransmitter GABA?

Thanks.

Casiocalc

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
  • School Grad Year: 2013
Hello!
I just wanted to ask does periods of REM sleep get longer and closer together as the night progresses or NREM stage 4 sleep occur more often as the night progresses?

Thank you!!  ;D ;D

lunapie

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
Im finding it hard to remember the different types of LTM and STM , along with DSM and ICD . Any suggestions?

darklight

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +2
Thank you :)

And also, should we know about the HPA axis and about the neurotransmitter GABA?

Thanks.

Don't need to know about GABA. I'm not sure if HPA axis is specifically mentioned in the study design, but it is very useful in understanding how the fight-flight response is activated and can be used to support your short-answers :)

Hello!
I just wanted to ask does periods of REM sleep get longer and closer together as the night progresses or NREM stage 4 sleep occur more often as the night progresses?

Thank you!!  ;D ;D

Periods of REM sleep get longer and closer together :)

Im finding it hard to remember the different types of LTM and STM , along with DSM and ICD . Any suggestions?

With LTM, perhaps think about all the things/memories/events in your life and try to branch them into groups. For example, say you ride your bike to school. How do you do that? Through procedural memory. Why is it procedural memory? Because you're basically going through the procedure, or the steps of the action :)

Say whilst riding your bike, you recall how you & your best friend met. Therefore Episodic = Episodes (in one's life).

And semantic - meaning - general knowledge & facts.

As for DSM/ICD, maybe construct a case about someone who was diagnosed with a specific mental disorder, and place their symptoms on the different axes to help remember them?

Hope this helps!
2015: Monash MBBS

lunapie

• Victorian
  • Adventurer
Thankyou ! definitely going to do that !

Any suggestion on how to remember definitions?

Im also having a lot of trouble with lazarus and folkmans model , along with baddley and hitch.

kawfee

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
Q) How is it that split brain patients are not blind?

Would I explain in relation to the visual pathways or something?

Visual information is processed in both the left and right occipital lobes despite the severing of the corpus callosum.

Or is that incorrect?

sandrab

• Victorian
  • Trailblazer
Can someone tell me the difference between stratified and random stratified sampling?