Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:23:28 pm

Author Topic: Society and Culture Question Thread  (Read 48930 times)  Share 

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Society and Culture Question Thread
« on: September 28, 2017, 02:16:12 pm »
+7
Before you can ask a question, you'll have to make an ATAR Notes account here. Once you've done that, a little 'reply' button will come up when you're viewing threads, and you'll be able to post whatever you want! :)

Welcome to the HSC Society & Culture Question thread, where you can ask questions regarding your upcoming HSC SAC exam, research methodologies, social theories, your PIP or what the subject entails (if you're about to enter Year 12 next term).

Please keep in mind that I have only done these topics: Social Continuity and Change (China), Conformity and Non-Conformity (Christiania) and Belief Systems and Ideologies (Buddhism).

Forum member 'paigek3' has done Social Continuity and Change, Social Inclusion and Exclusion (African Americans) and also Belief Systems and Ideologies (Islam). If anyone happens to do 'Popular Culture' and wants to contribute to the thread, that would be fab!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 10:27:17 pm by beatroot »
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
Re: Society and Culture Question Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 02:22:16 pm »
+5
Before you can ask a question, you'll have to make an ATAR Notes account here. Once you've done that, a little 'reply' button will come up when you're viewing threads, and you'll be able to post whatever you want! :)

Welcome to the HSC Society & Culture Question thread, where you can ask questions regarding your upcoming HSC SAC exam, research methodologies, social theories, your PIP or what the subject entails (if you're about to enter Year 12 next term).

Please keep in mind that I have only done these topics: Social Continuity and Change (core topic), Conformity and Non-Conformity and Belief Systems and Ideologies. If you ask a question about Pop Culture or Social Inclusion and Exclusion, I will try my best to answer your question as much as possible  8)  8)  8)

Hey there!

I do the HSC compacted so I sat my Society and Culture exam last year and got an 86! My PIP is what I believed brought it down from a 90 so I would say the exam is my strong point  ;D

I did social inclusion and exclusion (African Americans) so I am more than happy to answer questions if any arise! :)
Also did belief systems and ideologies (Islam) so can assist there too if I am around ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 02:32:39 pm by paigek3 »
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 02:29:41 pm »
+3
Hey guys, I'm doing Social Inclusion and Exclusion and Popular Culture (specifically rock n roll music).
However here's something that I'm struggling with in regards to PC. When it talks about a question regarding the role the media plays in the demand for popular culture, most people tend to talk about television/the radio and whatnot. However, my teacher said to address the question in a different way and silly me forgot exactly what he said. I know you guys don't do popular culture, but how would you address a question like that?

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 06:46:45 pm »
+4
Hey guys, I'm doing Social Inclusion and Exclusion and Popular Culture (specifically rock n roll music).
However here's something that I'm struggling with in regards to PC. When it talks about a question regarding the role the media plays in the demand for popular culture, most people tend to talk about television/the radio and whatnot. However, my teacher said to address the question in a different way and silly me forgot exactly what he said. I know you guys don't do popular culture, but how would you address a question like that?

You can probably relate the question to these concepts~
Persons: The media and people work together in order to form the basis of pop culture. Without the people, the media has no audience to accomodate for.
Society: Pop culture is very prominent in our society. We see it everywhere, hence of it being 'popular'. It's evident in all MMM levels because of the media. Popular culture brings in groups of people together and creates a collective identity. Therefore society's identity is influenced by the pop culture that is prevalent in every aspect of our society
Time: the media and pop culture have worked consistently throughout time
Technologies: straight forward (though you did mention your teacher didn't want you to address the question in this direction. but i think it's worth mentioning)

Due to the prevalence of pop culture in society (driven by the media), the media tries to promote pop culture to accomodate for the huge demand (because it is the norm in society). Of course, technology is a definite factor to how pop culture is delivered to individuals in society, as it is accessible to everyone. But pop culture also become apart of the overall consumer culture of our society, as some parts of society depend on pop culture for their identity.

^^ That's just my personal take on the question. I don't see how you can't mention television/radio/etc. in your response as the media IS what makes up pop culture imo. Hope this helps in some way ...

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 10:22:37 pm »
+3
So keen - Stickied the thread! ;D

Korrasami

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 01:03:04 pm »
+1
You can probably relate the question to these concepts~
Persons: The media and people work together in order to form the basis of pop culture. Without the people, the media has no audience to accomodate for.
Society: Pop culture is very prominent in our society. We see it everywhere, hence of it being 'popular'. It's evident in all MMM levels because of the media. Popular culture brings in groups of people together and creates a collective identity. Therefore society's identity is influenced by the pop culture that is prevalent in every aspect of our society
Time: the media and pop culture have worked consistently throughout time
Technologies: straight forward (though you did mention your teacher didn't want you to address the question in this direction. but i think it's worth mentioning)

Due to the prevalence of pop culture in society (driven by the media), the media tries to promote pop culture to accomodate for the huge demand (because it is the norm in society). Of course, technology is a definite factor to how pop culture is delivered to individuals in society, as it is accessible to everyone. But pop culture also become apart of the overall consumer culture of our society, as some parts of society depend on pop culture for their identity.

^^ That's just my personal take on the question. I don't see how you can't mention television/radio/etc. in your response as the media IS what makes up pop culture imo. Hope this helps in some way ...

Thank you, it makes more sense looking at in that way!
I think what my teacher meant by television/radio is that people tend to make it the bulk of their response, when it should be relating to course concepts and how people use the media for demand of pop culture. That's just his way of thinking though

av-angie-er

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 09:30:43 pm »
Since a some people are speculating that a 'near future' might be used in the exam, does anyone have any tips for approaching these types of questions? In terms of structure and evidence? Thanks :)
HSC 2017: Advanced English | Mathematics | Biology | Society and Culture | Modern History | History Extension

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 05:41:26 pm »
+5
Since a some people are speculating that a 'near future' might be used in the exam, does anyone have any tips for approaching these types of questions? In terms of structure and evidence? Thanks :)

(Seeing that I have never encountered a 'near future' question before, I will try my best to answer your question)

I think the best approach (in terms of structure) is doing it by short, medium and long term. So have your usual intro, then have a paragraph for all likely changes and another one for probable continuities, then a conclusion.

So kind of like this:

Likely changes: short term, medium term and long term
Probably continuities: short term, medium term and long term.

As for evidence, (depending on what topic you do) include a social theory and make a deduction for what will happen in the future. For example, for China you could use the conflict theory to predict that the OCP/TCP policy clashes with the filial piety belief (micro world). This creates the 4-2-1/4-2-2 ratio which places immense pressure on the only/two children to provide for their grandparents and parents as there isn't a pension scheme in place and stigma surrounding retirement homes. In the meso world, since there is less emphasis on family, more women will be in the workforce and are likely to marry at an older age. Though this results in antisocial behaviour found in Chinese men. Although for the macro world, the OCP/TCP policies helps China's economy because they don't have accomodate for a huge population.

Hope this helps :)

av-angie-er

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 06:20:55 pm »
(Seeing that I have never encountered a 'near future' question before, I will try my best to answer your question)

I think the best approach (in terms of structure) is doing it by short, medium and long term. So have your usual intro, then have a paragraph for all likely changes and another one for probable continuities, then a conclusion.

So kind of like this:

Likely changes: short term, medium term and long term
Probably continuities: short term, medium term and long term.

As for evidence, (depending on what topic you do) include a social theory and make a deduction for what will happen in the future. For example, for China you could use the conflict theory to predict that the OCP/TCP policy clashes with the filial piety belief (micro world). This creates the 4-2-1/4-2-2 ratio which places immense pressure on the only/two children to provide for their grandparents and parents as there isn't a pension scheme in place and stigma surrounding retirement homes. In the meso world, since there is less emphasis on family, more women will be in the workforce and are likely to marry at an older age. Though this results in antisocial behaviour found in Chinese men. Although for the macro world, the OCP/TCP policies helps China's economy because they don't have accomodate for a huge population.

Hope this helps :)
Ohh okay, that makes total sense. Thanks so much! :) Would you also use a social theory for 'near future' questions in the other case studies like Belief Systems and Popular Culture? I'm thinking it might be appropriate to use trends as evidence for how things might change, like assessing how the number of Hindus in the Western world is increasing to suggest that Hinduism will continue to spread globally in the future. What are your thoughts?
HSC 2017: Advanced English | Mathematics | Biology | Society and Culture | Modern History | History Extension

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 10:57:26 pm »
+3
Ohh okay, that makes total sense. Thanks so much! :) Would you also use a social theory for 'near future' questions in the other case studies like Belief Systems and Popular Culture? I'm thinking it might be appropriate to use trends as evidence for how things might change, like assessing how the number of Hindus in the Western world is increasing to suggest that Hinduism will continue to spread globally in the future. What are your thoughts?

Yes yes definitely have a social theory for your other topics. It definitely adds that extra layer of ~pizzazz~ and shows the markers that you can talk about your topic beyond the concepts and bringing in theories to back up your statements and make your own deductions :)

mmir

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 11:19:43 am »
Is anyone doing Indigenous Spirituality as their case study for Belief Systems and Ideologies?

sageziman

• Adventurer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2017, 01:08:50 pm »
where can i find past papers besides for nesa

lisahunt

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 10:28:51 am »
hi, I was just wondering if someone could explain 'dissent' for me please? I'm doing belief systems, focus study being democracy, and I can't quite wrap my head around it.

Thank you.  :)

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
  • Respect: +126
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 10:47:12 am »
+3
hi, I was just wondering if someone could explain 'dissent' for me please? I'm doing belief systems, focus study being democracy, and I can't quite wrap my head around it.

Thank you.  :)

Hey! Dissent refers to having opposing opinions to those common ideas. I didn’t do democracy, but it would be any beliefs someone has that goes against the foundations or key values of democracy
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

annajpeterson

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 02:24:33 pm »
for the futures part of the belief systems and ideologies syllabus what would be the best things to talk about in regards to likely changes and probable continuities? (for Islam)  thank you!!