Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:41:21 am

Author Topic: Economics Essay Marking  (Read 19744 times)

tissue

• Adventurer
Re: Economics Essay Marking
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 10:24:24 pm »
Hey Tissue,

Comments are in the spoiler below :)

Thank you so so much!!!! That was actually extremely helpful  :)

absdatar99

• Adventurer
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2017, 12:13:24 pm »
Hey, I was wondering if I can get my Exchange rates essay marked.

I attached the document in this post.

I'm worried that I haven't answered the question effectively.

iStudent

• Adventurer
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 08:56:34 pm »
Hey, I was wondering if I can get my Exchange rates essay marked.

I attached the document in this post.

I'm worried that I haven't answered the question effectively.

Some feedback:
- Remember to include stats and examples to support every argument you make
- Remember to include a linking sentence (e.g. you didnt have that in paragraph 4)
- Are you sure a decrease in eco growth dissuades FDI? I'd avoid making bold statements that are not found in the textbook
- Cash rate isn't exactly the same as the interest rate you are referring to. Cash rates are relevant to the banks (rather than foreign investment). Interest rates apply to individuals/businesses. Similar, but not the same so I'd avoid saying "interest or cash rate"
- Good graph, but are you really going to draw that in your exam? I would avoid using graphs like those unless this is a hand in assignment - because you need to draw it and you're not really using it to explain a point (unlike e.g. demand/supply graphs). Just state the statistic you're using without drawing everything else. Good example though! (just do it without the graph? I don't believe those types of graphs are conventional).
- your last sentence in that paragraph is unnecessary (the one about dissuading domestic borrowers). replace it with a linking sentence (very important)
- good linking sentence in your GFC paragraph - do that for all body paragraphs
- use "economic downturn" or something like that rather than the colloquial "economic disaster"
- again, tentative about including graphs like that from trading economics
- how can overseas interest or global economy change $A? you need to be more clear in explaining it (e.g. less growth -> overseas countries import less -> Australia has reduced exports etc leading to less demand for $A -> depreciation). speculation is a big factor as well
- you already mentioned interests rates. can you try to include something else? i understand this is domestic vs foreign interests rates so it is not exactly the same point - but it is better to keep the factors varied :) your teacher might think you are making the same argument. check the textbook if you need pointers on what else to include. can also check out the marking guidelines (because I think this is a HSC question?) about what you can include

Final feedback
- The best essays tend to go through a LOT. Many arguments. You only mentioned economic growth, interest rates and the international business cycle. Try to make your paragraphs more concise so you can include more.
I suggest the paragraph structure PEEL
- POINT
- EXPLAIN
- EXAMPLE/EVIDENCE
- LINKING SENTENCE
You do a good job with it but you can get the point through with less sentences :)

- You need to include factors like international competitiveness, inflation and terms of trade. These are very important in economics and it's hard to achieve the top mark without mentioning these. I understand that you are running out of words to talk about this - that's why you need to keep your paragraphs concise (and cut out the unnecessary graphs)
e.g. how you measure exchange rates isn't really relevant to the question
- on rereading, you did mention terms of trade but you didn't go into it further - try exploring it further?
HSC 2014
Eco - 96 (state rank)
MX2 97
MX1 98
Chem 94
Phys 93
Adv eng 92

Medicine @ JMP

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 09:29:12 pm »
Welcome to the forums iStudent! Thanks heaps for providing such awesome feedback ;D

absdatar99

• Adventurer
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 11:24:15 pm »
Hey iStudent,

Thanks for the feedback man, will improve on those areas.

Cheers! :) :)