Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:25:59 pm

Author Topic: I don't know what to study at uni - help!  (Read 17411 times)  Share 

zhen

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • The world is a bitter place
  • Respect: +338
Re: I don't know what to study at uni - help!
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2017, 10:24:14 pm »
+1
What I'm trying to get at (even if communicating this poorly) is that there are so many different ways to make a difference, the scope is so huge that it's hard to use it as any sort of filter for figuring out university courses. I'm also trying to say that if you want to make a difference you will, regardless of what course you choose.
For a second, I was going to say that if I take a course like commerce, then how would I be able to help people. But then I realised that commerce and basically any employable skill would eventually be able to help someone eventually. Now the question is what to choose out of the courses I'm interested in, which includes medicine, science, commerce and maybe law (I'm bad at oral presentations so maybe not). Also, thanks for all the advice you've given so far.

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2017, 10:41:05 pm »
+2
I'd like to share something interesting and relevant(?) about careers which 'help people'. What exactly do you mean by 'helping people' or 'making a difference'? Have you considered careers which might not involve actual 'patient care', and rather than focusing on helping individuals, involve having an impact on entire populations? Think along the lines of potentially designing the newest treatment for those with some form of chronic disease, or developing a public health strategy to reduce road death tolls in youths (these are only examples, but I hope you get the idea  :P).
From my personal experience (and of course considering difference between universities)
BA > BEco = BSc in terms of essays and the like, although this of course will depend on the types of units you choose.

I was also seeking a maths-related major in a Commerce degree, but realised the subject matter of commerce units weren't exactly what I was looking for, and transferred to Science this semester. So I guess it really depends on what your other (non-maths) interests are.
I'm getting strong bms1042 vibes

Im pretty much dead middle haha,  possibly a bit closer to monash...

my first preference will be biomed at monash but im just wondering what to do if i cant get low to mid 90 atar.

Should i just do bachelor of science at monash and keep my options for medicine open to deakin, monash and melb?

Cheers
why are you choosing monash? (closer to home?)

It doesn't really matter imo not much difference between Science @ Monash/UoM (UoM might have a stronger cohort) just what feels right for you. However there is a slight advantage for science monash since they can apply for grad med @ monash (25 places) along with med @ UoM.  For me biomed @ UoM was probably the obvious choice but I chose biomed monash so I could apply for grad med at both unis just to keep my options open.

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2017, 10:49:39 pm »
+2
I'm getting strong bms1042 vibes
You caught me out hard  ;D Was thinking the same thing when I wrote it haha

I feel like it'd be awesome if I could save lives by finding a treatment for a disease or if I could somehow end up having an impact on entire populations. But, I feel like realistically I'm not capable of doing such things and the people who do make these large scale differences are those one in a thousand people, which I don't really see myself being and don't think I'm capable of being. So, I see myself really helping individuals rather than helping populations.
You don't necessarily have to be that 'one in a million' person to be a part of something that will make a difference. Many things nowadays are done in teams - each member will bring something unique to allow the team to solve complex problems.
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

Mr West

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2017, 07:44:56 am »
why are you choosing monash? (closer to home?)

It doesn't really matter imo not much difference between Science @ Monash/UoM (UoM might have a stronger cohort) just what feels right for you. However there is a slight advantage for science monash since they can apply for grad med @ monash (25 places) along with med @ UoM.  For me biomed @ UoM was probably the obvious choice but I chose biomed monash so I could apply for grad med at both unis just to keep my options open.

Thanks! im thinking monash because like you said, i want to keep my options open to almost all medicine programs. I know Monash MD has 75 spots (50 for biomed and 25 for related courses), but how many does UoM MD have? and is it split up like monash MD?

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 09:20:21 am »
+1
Thanks! im thinking monash because like you said, i want to keep my options open to almost all medicine programs. I know Monash MD has 75 spots (50 for biomed and 25 for related courses), but how many does UoM MD have? and is it split up like monash MD?
from what I know UoM MD has many more places, something around 450. However any uni+any course can apply for it making it as competitive as monash MD. I think if you were able to gain a place in either course you would probably get into the other one if you get what I mean. Historically roughly 1/3 of the UoM biomed cohort end up going to melbourne MD however this is not due to guranteed places but just how the rankings end out after you take into account GPA/GAMSAT/Interview. :)

Mr West

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +30
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 10:00:38 am »
from what I know UoM MD has many more places, something around 450. However any uni+any course can apply for it making it as competitive as monash MD. I think if you were able to gain a place in either course you would probably get into the other one if you get what I mean. Historically roughly 1/3 of the UoM biomed cohort end up going to melbourne MD however this is not due to guranteed places but just how the rankings end out after you take into account GPA/GAMSAT/Interview. :)

cool thanks  :) :)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 10:24:05 am »
Hey guys :D
I need advice on uni preferences.
I was thinking of doubling B.Com with something else at UNSW.
I'm looking towards B.Arts, B.Sci or B.Eco with maths major.

Which degrees are most essay-intensive, or are they all similar?
I hate essays.  :P
Arts sounds very essay-ish.

If you don't like essays etc., I wouldn't necessarily recommend Arts. But do you know what you'd be interested in studying within the Arts degree?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Fluffysama_

• MOTM: June 20
  • Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2021, 06:54:51 pm »
+4
Hi!!
I'm actually studying international relations and politics and major in eco policy at Usyd atm
Tis my first sem at uni bahaha
but I'm still really unsure if this really the degree for me, and I feel like there's a lot of pressure to just know where to go but ahhh I'm honestly so lost

I know I would love a job involving languages and helping people, some of my dream jobs were being a hotel concierge or like an immigration officer or a working in centrelink or in admin/human resources as a language teacher, a bonus if you get to travel! But I know you don't necessarily need a degree for those jobs (except for a teacher) and I am so so scared demand for these jobs are just gone because of covid  and quite often there's heavy competition for a single job?

I thought I might want to be a diplomat but truthfully, I heard about the work place culture being really tough and working long hours and I just can't see myself wanting to live like that and also I researched and realised alot of them get in with law and economics degrees as well as a post grad in public policy etc but I also know you can get in from having lots of life experience i.e working abroad

- Now I feel like maybe I should aim to get into a consulate/ embassy  but I don't actually know what they do they just seem very cool for being the bridge between 2 countries, I looked into it abit and they 'liase' with their associated countries and sort of advise tourists but also those in detention centres and provide advice but also policy responsibilities?? I am so unsure what sort of degree you need for that!

I so far quite enjoy IR and politics but also not sure if I can do it for 4 years and use it in my job??  but eco policy I find soooo difficult, I didn't do math for HSC and they said we didn't need math for eco policy but the core unit of study is using math!! I'm struggling alot but thanks to doing eco in highschool I get the general sort of concepts but I'm so scared cos in second year you actually do hard maths

Alot of career people I spoke with said eco policy is the way to go since they look at the degree and its relevant for working with the government but I don't think I can sit through 4 years of econ and go into a job doing economics or anything related to economics, should I change to something else?

- I am doing an elective in international business and I love it! But i don't think I will pursue it since I already have 'international' relations and its business is so competitive and perhaps better pursued by going straight into the workforce however, I am seriously considering marketing, (did a career quiz and it said i would like it hahah) it seems so fun and cool but I also know its a very popular major and I'm so scared if I don't like it I'll have to stay in uni for even longer because I changed my major

- Also seriously considering a degree called international and global studies, exchange is mandatory!! which is amazing and you also learn a language, only thing is, its course looks a bit drab in comparison to IR and poli because its very limited with electives but seems interesting as well but i guess I'm wondering how you know its the degree for you especially when you're likely to not love ALL the units of study in your major even if you love your first year unit etc or how you even know what the unit is like when you haven't taken it ! Example: I went into the international business elective thinking I wouldn't like it that much and I would change it but I actually really enjoy it

- Also considering media and communications because its so broad you can potentially go into alot of fields, but also not sure because again I feel like I might change my mind once I try it and decide maybe this isn't for me :(

- I also am thinking of doing a diploma of languages starting next year but I am aware that it becomes hard to juggle with units (but I think I should totally go for it since I want to major in something else)

Thankyou so much for reading this!
Grateful for any comments you have!!
Thanks! :)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 07:24:06 pm by Fluffysama_ »
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts