Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:23:43 pm

Author Topic: I want to do medicine but I have taken no science classes and have no sci know..  (Read 1275 times)

amidoomed4lyfe

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Hi,

I am new to these forums, so please forgive me if I am posting this thread in the wrong place. I am currently having an internal crisis in terms of wishing to pursue medicine as a future career. I am currently a year 12 student and am taking no science classes, rather, I am studying English, Maths Methods, Business Management, Accounting and Legal Studies. At the time of subject selection, I believed that I would not be interested in a career in medicine, and thus, neglected to choose any science subjects, favouring subjects I was more interested in at the time (particularly commerce). However, last year, and especially at the beginning of this year, I have been drawn to the notion of studying medicine, but I believe I physically cannot, due to not taking these classes.

I guess I'm just asking for advice, if there is any way to start a pathway to a course in medicine, as I am completely lost :(. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
I guess the first thing to ask would be why do you want to do medicine? What changed your mind? What particular area of medicine?

I don't know much about med entry but i'm thinking it's impossible to get into undergrad in Victoria as you won't have fulfilled pre-reqs. I don't know about interstate pre-reqs but I suspect you will come across the same problem.

You could do a science or biomed degree, you will likely be required to do holiday courses if they have pre-reqs which you don't meet and you will obviously have to do well to be able to get into post grad medicine.

The other reason I asked why you want to be a doctor is have you considered nursing or paramedicine?
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
I don't know much about medicine either but from pursuing courses from various universities I gather that there are various science courses that you can take, some more general than others that seem to me to act like a "basis" for knowledge on the sciences. I guess after gathering sound knowledge you could then do an internal transfer to a more specific or "sophisticated" (for want of a better word) course. I don't think it's impossible. If you are reallyyy interested in medicine then you can get into studying it at uni.

I mean, in a sense I'm in your situation. I want to study law but I have never done legal studies nor do I know anything about the legal system. I just know that I am deeply fascinated by it and would love to study it.
2018 HSC

Lyra7

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +13
Unfortunately you haven't got chemistry ( a prereq for med) as one of your subjects, therefore unfortunately you won't be able to do medicine straight after yr 12. But it's not all bad news! If you really believe medicine is your calling and you have had some work experience/other experience with simulations and hospitals you can try to pursue medicine via postgraduate means. You would probably study biomedicine realistically, but other degrees are possible, and sit GAMSAT and interview. To gauge whether you would enjoy med academically I would recommend having some bio knowledge as really that is key with medicine (as I have discovered so far!). But for now, you can't change your subjects, but work as hard as you can this year, re assess your wishes after vce, and if applicable - try for postgrad med. :) Best of luck - and from personal experience medicine is a wonderful thing to be studying, it is truly so amazing.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other q.s.
2016: Biology [46]
2017: English [45] Economics [40] Chemistry [38] Latin [37] Methods [35]
ATAR: 99.00

2018-2023: Bachelor of Medical Science/ Doctor of Medicine (MD) @ Monash Uni

2022: Bachelor of Medical Science (Hons)

MMI tuition available

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
You aren’t doing chemistry so you are ineligible for Monash med however most interstate unis don’t have science subjects as prereqs so you could apply. I know at UAdel you only need bio, chem or methods to apply. If you want to stay in vic then you’ll have to apply for medicine after doing an undergrad degree through doing the GAMSAT.
UAdel MBBS