Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 07:29:46 am

Author Topic: [English] Analysis Question - Cosi  (Read 1667 times)  Share 

Rameen

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
[English] Analysis Question - Cosi
« on: April 11, 2019, 08:21:18 am »
Hi. I have started studying Cosi in unit 1 English and have to answer the question:
"Why does Despina say, "'Woman's constancy is like the Phoenix of Arabia. Everyone swears it exists but no one has seen it'" in Cosi Fan Tutte. What is the opera suggesting about a woman's ability to be faithful? How does Cosi challenge this notion?

This is my response:
The opera illuminates the issue of fidelity to be an ideal that is never achieved.  Love is a significant theme in both the play, ‘Cosi’, and the opera, ‘Cosi Fan Tutte’, which translates to “women are like that” and suggests that men should accept that their female partners are always going to be disloyal. Nowra utilises the character of Despina to allude to the inability of women to be faithful as their “constancy” is as illusory as the Phoenix of Arabia, a mythical golden-red feathered bird. “Everyone swears it exists”, however, their fidelity is not evident as in the opera, Fiordiligi falls for Guglielmo while Dorabella falls for Ferrando. This disloyalty parallels to the situation in ‘Cosi’ as Lucy, Lewis’s girlfriend, is having sex with Nick yet sleeping with Lewis. Julie articulates the play’s message that men ‘’want women to deceive them because it will prove their worst thoughts about women’’ and allow them to feel ‘righteous’. Lewis’s resentful attitude towards Lucy confirms Julie’s observation as Lucy justifies her actions, “it’s not as if we’re married”. Similarly, Lewis defends himself as he is not having sex with Julie and Nowra challenges the preconceptions of love by proving men to be unfaithful as well. Lewis’s actions are ambiguous as he develops an intimate relationship with Julie, whilst being Lucy’s boyfriend. Julie is also already in a relationship – she has a girlfriend. However, Julie leaves Lewis to go back to her girlfriend who stands by her “through thick and thin”, highlighting that Julie remains true to her partner and refrains from persevering a relationship with Lewis, who breaks up with Lucy. Hence, it can be concluded that men’s infidelity is condoned, while female infidelity is condemned due to the “double standards” that exist between men and women.

Can you please review this and provide me with feedback? I am unsure if my response answers the questions appropriately or if I have unnecessary/irrelevant information. Have I got enough analysis or is it mostly story-telling? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!