Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:21:35 pm

Author Topic: Year 12 Journey  (Read 5687 times)

ztriesherbest

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +10
Year 12 Journey
« on: February 10, 2020, 08:43:44 pm »
+14
Hi, I'm ztriesherbest (let's hope this is representative of my hsc journey ahah),

I recently joined and I came upon the whole 'HSC Journey Journal' and thought that it would be an amazing way to hopefully anonymously document what I get up to/what I achieve and overall my thoughts on this whole year. Additionally, I hope this will be able to keep me accountable for my work.  ::)

A bit about me:
I am in Year 12 and go to a selective school in Sydney.
Currently doing 12 units - 3U English, 2U Maths, Economics, Legal Studies, French Continuers and French Extension.
My ATAR Goal is 97+ (fingers crossed)  :-\
I hope to study Law/International Studies at UNSW or UTS (96.55 - I think)

So anyway, I hope that I will be updating this regularly and that it won't turn into one of the many projects that I have abandoned after 1 month (oops!)

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
Re: Year 12 Journey
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 08:49:40 pm »
+6
Hi ztriesherbest! ;D

Welcome to the Journey Journals!

Journey journals are super cool, especially when you can rewind and look at your past entries :D.
What type of things do you like to do in your spare time and what do you think your favourite subjects are?

I'm excited to see some new posts from your journal in the future.  ;D

ztriesherbest

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 11:20:57 pm »
+6
Hi ztriesherbest! ;D

Journey journals are super cool, especially when you can rewind and look at your past entries :D.
What type of things do you like to do in your spare time and what do you think your favourite subjects are?

Hi ashmi,

I love journaling - I used to keep up with a bullet journal and I even had an instagram for it, but sadly, I got too busy and found it difficult to constantly maintain :( So now, I make travel journals when I go away.
I also love reading and watching Netflix. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll have too much time this year as I have to balance my studies, school activities and also my personal life - so I hope updating my "Year 12 Journey" will be a source of relaxation for me (lol).

My favourite subjects are Legal Studies and French Continuers. I went on exchange to France in 2018 and this greatly fostered my love of the language and culture. In my spare time, I often find myself watching French movies or tv shows and even reading French magazines/books to develop my vocabulary. I like Legal Studies too because I find it extremely interesting. I love reading the news everyday and it helps a lot to stay up to date.
These are also my best two subjects, so that also helps!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 08:43:10 am »
+1
Hey :)

Where does your interest in law and international studies come from?

dotdot2002

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 08:48:23 am »
+2
Hi ztriesherbest.

What was it about your exchange that you enjoyed so much? I am currently debating with myself whether or not I want to try one. Do you have any advice/tips about this? It would be much appreciated.

Best of luck for this crucial year.

ztriesherbest

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 10:35:53 pm »
+11
So I may have only just remembered to update this...

But in the past month or so since my last post, so much has changed and so much still remains uncertain. In the time that has passed, two main things have happened (that concern my HSC Journey), I completed HSC Task 2 and the coronavirus situation became much more intense in Australia and around the world.

Let's start with HSC Task 2. Overall, I did okay and managed to both improve/fall in my subjects :( (but not too significantly, so that's not too bad - I guess!)

Subjects:
English Advanced -  I jumped about 80 ranks, so I'm glad about that, although I did majorly screw up Task 1 aha.
Maths Advanced - My rank improved a few places, not amazing, but not terrible. I think I'd feel more comfortable if I was maybe 20 ranks ahead.
English Extension - Our first assessment! I'm quite happy with my rank - within the top 30. Looking back, on previous stats (idk how reliable/smart it is to refer to), top 45-50 at my school normally get an E4.
Economics - We haven't gotten our ranks back yet so not too sure how I went, but from my marks, I've improved!
Legal Studies - Fell a few ranks :( I got above average marks in the previous task and I think average marks in this one.
French - Fell a few ranks but not too concerned as my class is generally packed quite close together.
French Extension - Our first assessment for this subject as well. Didn't do too great :(

Next, the current climate/situation and the transition to online learning.

I'm not actually going to talk about what's been happening in the world (direct impacts) because I'm sure you and I have both been hearing about it nonstop for the past few months. Now relating it to school, everyone is now so uncertain about what the end of this year and the end of our schooling life will look like. I've become increasingly unsure about the importance of and need for my current studying.

Not going to lie, but I haven't been the most productive/motivated since we began online classes on the 25th of March. Our periods are a lot shorter and we have a long break between classes. On the HSC Discussion Group, I saw a lot of people talking about how their teachers have been giving them double/triple the amount of work that they would normally get at school. Initially, I felt exactly the same. The first few days, I felt like I was constantly doing work, I was waking up early to get stuff done and I was working during the breaks (school had told us that this was a break to get off our screens). However, I soon realised that the work I was doing were things that I have should done ages ago or things that we would normally be doing during our normal periods! (sorry if that didn't make sense oops and it seems so contradictory to the first sentence of this paragraph)

Last week (our second week of online learning) I was a lot more lazy. I kind of got it into my brain that because I'm not actually seeing my teachers in person, I don't need to submit everything on time?? (so, so twisted!) Additionally, with the holidays around the corner, I've kind of told myself that I will catch up on everything then. Writing this now, it doesn't sound very reassuring at all. My teachers normally use MS Teams, Zoom and Google Classroom and I've overall been quite impressed with the quality of teaching/learning. But some of my teachers will only talk for 20 minutes, and after the 'lesson' has finished, I tend to not use the rest of the period doing my work (completely my fault!) Also, because the new season of Money Heist came out on Friday, this past week, I've been rewatching the series from the beginning so my work has become quite neglected :(

Anyway, I hope you've enjoyed reading this and that it hasn't been too confusing. Let's see if I will actually remember to update this regularly :)

Fluffysama_

• Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 08:43:06 pm »
+2
Hi ztriesherbest! ;D

OMG HIII ASHMI, I'm was literally thinkin about motm and then everyhting is manifesting, its so crazy, glad to see you !!
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts

Fluffysama_

• Forum Regular
  • happy n free child~
  • Respect: +39
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2020, 08:48:44 pm »
+1
Hey bro,
I literally felt the same
I literally did the same, bro you're definately not alone and honestly, I was pretty slacking at the end of that term as well, I felt like I was a lot slower doing all the tasks I usually do in like 20min or sum but they were taking like hours instead and I felt so guilty but I couldn't stop myself from using my phone etc
Also , i totally feel you! I spent much of the last term literally just trying to catch up because I felt like I was so behind on everything and overall, although the teachers were trying super hard, I felt like it just wasn't enough to consolidate the disruption to motivation and just as I was getting used to online learning we went back to IRL and it just felt so janky and awkward!! Hope you're doing way better now and goodluck for trials! I absolutely love french movies, so maybe you could teach some to me laters!? I love languages and am stoked to meet a hon hon baguette !! ( my collection of french memes is exquisite)
Class of 2020: Advanced English, Japanese Beginners, Economics, Music 1, Visual Arts