Login | Register
Enrol now for our new online tutoring program. Learn from the best tutors. Get amazing results. Learn more.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 16, 2021, 07:51:31 pm

Author Topic: VCE Chemistry Question Thread  (Read 1480372 times)  Share 

beep boop

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
Re: VCE Chemistry Question Thread
« Reply #9075 on: March 30, 2021, 08:11:26 pm »
Hi

Does anyone have any tips on how to memorise stuff in chem. The number of formulas and theories just make me want to have my brain explode.

Any help is appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 04:01:56 pm by beep boop »
class of '22

colline

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • ♡ 2 Timothy 1:7 ♡
  • Respect: +492
« Reply #9076 on: March 31, 2021, 02:04:42 pm »
+4
Hi

Does anyone have any tips on how to memorise stuff in chem. The number of formulas and theories just make me want to have my explode.

Any help is appreciated.

Wait till you get to reaction pathways...

In all seriousness, I think the easiest and most straightforward way is to just do as many practice questions as you can. There really aren't any ways to hack through it. Eventually, they'll just come naturally.

VCE: Literature, Further, Methods, Biology, Chemistry, Music
UniMelb: Bachelor of Science / Diploma of Mathematical Sciences

DBA-144

• MOTM: APR 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #9077 on: March 31, 2021, 04:55:56 pm »
+3
Hi

Does anyone have any tips on how to memorise stuff in chem. The number of formulas and theories just make me want to have my brain explode.

Any help is appreciated.

What exactly are you having trouble memorising? Honestly, I think that if you can connect everything together, you have to memorise a lot less. Having said that, practice does help, as colline has already mentioned.
PM me for Methods (raw 46) and Chemistry (raw 48) resources (notes, practice SACs, etc.)

I also offer tutoring for these subjects, units 1-4 :)

beep boop

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #9078 on: March 31, 2021, 07:28:38 pm »
What exactly are you having trouble memorising? Honestly, I think that if you can connect everything together, you have to memorise a lot less. Having said that, practice does help, as colline has already mentioned.

Wait till you get to reaction pathways...
In all seriousness, I think the easiest and most straightforward way is to just do as many practice questions as you can. There really aren't any ways to hack through it. Eventually, they'll just come naturally.

Remembering common ions, alkanes, bonding types, forces, all that stuff. There's just a lot of content to remember.
class of '22

insanipi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3375
« Reply #9079 on: March 31, 2021, 07:42:36 pm »
+5
Remembering common ions, alkanes, bonding types, forces, all that stuff. There's just a lot of content to remember.
Hey! These are from the old (2013-2016) study design but these flashcards have some important chemistry concepts and ion info and may help a little :)
https://atarnotes.com/note/definitions-key-terms-things-remember-2013-2016-sd/
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) (Drug Delivery, Disposition and Dynamics- focusing on molecular biol and editing of glowy proteins (using CRISPR/Cas9))
Read my uni journey here!
2021: ?

miyukiaura

• Forum Regular
  • per aspera ad astra
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #9080 on: April 03, 2021, 01:35:15 pm »
For electrolysis, why does it matter if the electrodes are inert or reactive?
And if you were asked to determine whether an inert or reactive electrode should be used given an electrolytic cell, how would you decide?

sweetcheeks

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +73
  • School: ---
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #9081 on: April 03, 2021, 02:20:17 pm »
+4
For electrolysis, why does it matter if the electrodes are inert or reactive?
And if you were asked to determine whether an inert or reactive electrode should be used given an electrolytic cell, how would you decide?

What are your thoughts?

Bluebird

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #9082 on: April 04, 2021, 11:36:35 pm »
Can someone explain polar and non-polar covalent bonds to me and explain how NH4+ has polar covalent bonds??????

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #9083 on: April 05, 2021, 09:56:01 am »
+6
Polar means the molecule has an unequal distribution of electrical charge. One end of the molecule has a partial positive charge and the other end has a partial negative charge. Water is polar o is much more electronegative than H electrons are pulled towards the o creating a partial negative charge.

Non polar molecules either have an equal sharing of electrons or the polar bonds are arranged so that their partial charges cancel each other out leaving no overall polarity.
In NH4+ nitrogen is more electronegative than H and pulls electrons towards itself creating a polar covalent bond. Because of its tetrahedral structure the polar covalent bonds cancel each other out and the molecule is non polar.

SmartWorker

• Trendsetter
  • Wake determined. Sleep Satisfied.
  • Respect: +75
« Reply #9084 on: April 07, 2021, 01:05:15 pm »
Hi I have a few questions:

- In a transesterification reaction to produce biodiesel, what does it mean that it involves a hydrolysis reaction and an esterification reaction?
- So far i thought that the triglyceride undergoes hydrolysis? Which compound/s undergo hydrolysis and esterification and hydrolysis?
- Can you please verify if I have my 'groupings' correct, bit unsure...

Chocolatepistachio

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +48
« Reply #9085 on: April 07, 2021, 06:03:46 pm »
As you go down a group does the effective nuclear charge increase slightly or does it remain relatively constant 
If iodine has a higher effective nuclear charge then wouldn’t it have a smaller atomic radius

Calebark

• biscuits of disappointment
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +2709
« Reply #9086 on: April 08, 2021, 12:47:05 pm »
+2
As you go down a group does the effective nuclear charge increase slightly or does it remain relatively constant 
If iodine has a higher effective nuclear charge then wouldn’t it have a smaller atomic radius

Effective nuclear charge (Zeff) decreases down a group. However you are correct that the Zeff increases as atomic radius decreases. As you go down, remember there are more shells of electron. Each inner shell can shield the valence shell from the nucleus' positive attraction, allowing the valence electrons to be further out increasing atomic radii. This same effect decreases the effective nuclear charge.

I'll also add that Zeff increases across a period. Can you figure why? It's similar to the above.
Spoiler
The number of protons/valence increase but number of shells remain the same, meaning the level of shielding is the same despite the additional attraction, so Zeff increases → radii decreases
🐢A turtle has flippers and a tortoise has clubs🐢

shahifa

• Adventurer
« Reply #9087 on: April 24, 2021, 02:20:33 pm »
Hey Guys!

I was wondering if anyone had any practice tests or quizzes for the topics of Metals and Ionic Compounds. I have a SAC coming up, and I've done all my revision and memorisation and some short quizzes, but if anyone had anything extra they could send, that would be great! If not, thats fine! (btw this is Unit 1 Chemistry)

Thanks
Shahifa

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +654
« Reply #9088 on: April 24, 2021, 02:55:44 pm »
+3
Hey Guys!

I was wondering if anyone had any practice tests or quizzes for the topics of Metals and Ionic Compounds. I have a SAC coming up, and I've done all my revision and memorisation and some short quizzes, but if anyone had anything extra they could send, that would be great! If not, thats fine! (btw this is Unit 1 Chemistry)

Thanks
Shahifa

Hi Shahifa,
Sorry it's against forum rules for people to share/distribute any copyright practice sacs/etc.
Perhaps you could try see if your local library might have a copy of chem 1/2 checkpoints that you could borrow? (i found this helpful sometimes to get extra revision during yr11). Also, maybe you could try seeing if your teacher/school has extra revision materials?
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

shahifa

• Adventurer
« Reply #9089 on: April 24, 2021, 06:23:34 pm »
+3
Hi Shahifa,
Sorry it's against forum rules for people to share/distribute any copyright practice sacs/etc.
Perhaps you could try see if your local library might have a copy of chem 1/2 checkpoints that you could borrow? (i found this helpful sometimes to get extra revision during yr11). Also, maybe you could try seeing if your teacher/school has extra revision materials?

Oh sorry I didn't know, but thanks for the tips!