Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:16:41 pm

Author Topic: I don't feel like I belong at university.  (Read 1439 times)  Share 

JR_StudyEd

• MOTM: MAY 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
  • Respect: +171
I don't feel like I belong at university.
« on: March 28, 2020, 06:38:22 pm »
+5
I don't feel like I deserve to be at uni. I don't consider myself to be an academic sort of student. In year 12, I was so over studying that I completely lost interest in revising for my exams. My ATAR fell short of my first preference. So I ended up in a course where you don't need an ATAR to be accepted. I think I'm a perfectionist. I have to do my very best, or else I will likely fail. I don't know why I think this way.

Eventually I might actually learn to enjoy my required readings. Eventually I might actually recognise the importance of scientific research on our world. Eventually I might actually start an assignment as soon as I am given the instructions. Eventually I might actually do something without being told.

I like psych. But maybe it was just a passing interest, and not a career ambition. My course is too specific. I need something a little more broad, because the truth is, I'm not sure what my next step is after this three-year period is over. So that the transfer process isn't too messy, I will try my best to commit for this year. Then after that, I will reconsider my options.

I hope I can fit in soon. Or is this just a fleeting feeling unique to first-year uni students?
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
Re: I don't feel like I belong at university.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 11:52:17 pm »
+9
Unfortunately I don't have all the answers but just wanted to let you know it's very common to feel this way, especially in first year uni, and you're definitely not alone <3
We are our own harshest critics - please be gentle to yourself. No matter what marks you've received in high school or in uni you absolutely deserve to pursue any form of education - everyone deserves to.

Try not to stress too much about the interest vs career thing just now. The first thing you study at uni doesn't have to be what you do with the rest of your life. A massive amount of uni students change course at least once, if not more. And once people get out into the workforce they often change their career several times from there. What you do now at uni won't necessarily be what you end up doing with your life, and that's ok. Use it for now as a time to broaden your horizons, learn new academic skills and the like :)

Here for a chat if you need. First year uni was a really tough time for me mental health-wise and I know that's the case for a lot of people. You aren't alone.

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 12:49:31 am »
+7
This isn't a unique thing to first year but it definitely might peak or feel really intense during this time. Everything you are feeling is valid, okay, and surprisingly common despite the overwhelming feeling inside that it isn't.

I transferred out of my first course, considered transferring two more times almost a year apart, changed majors about 3 times, changed career goals and visions more times than I can count (still doing it now tbh) - point is, this is common, don't get too caught up in it, you've only just entered uni. It is okay to not know.

Plenty of people here for a chat. My PMs are always open.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 10:08:44 am »
+8
Hey,  JR_StudyEd!

On top of everyone's amazing advice, I'll also add that it's a good thing you're questioning all of this! It means that you're aware of the key ingredient to a happier life and that's having a passion for what you do. I questioned my degree multiple times in first semester but it helped me realise that that it was right for me every time I did and now, my passion is stronger than ever. You will meet many people who will go about their lives never wondering, never asking and never truly figuring out what they really find joy in doing. I would look at all of this as a positive reflective experience for you  ;D

Whether this questioning will affirm your career paths long term or not, I can't really say. Perhaps you'll realise it isn't what you want to do or maybe you'll come to really love doing your readings. Either way, you're supported here on the forums so if you want to have a chat about how you're finding things, just let us know in this thread  :)

Angelina
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 09:17:31 pm »
+7
I feel like I have so much to say. But every time I try to articulate my thoughts, I just run into a dead end. Regardless of that, the truth is that this current circumstance completely sucks. The transition from Year 12 to uni is difficult enough. Online learning? I didn't sign up for this. I don't know when it will end. It will end eventually. And I know I won't like 100% of any course I study. There's no perfect course. There's no perfect job. I do feel like I am lacking long-term direction, with my only real long-term goal being to figure out what I like and don't like about my course. The lack of flexibility with my course is the issue. It's all psych. Why didn't I pick Arts or something that would actually give me some options? But I think it would be smart in the long-term to spend the rest of this year in my current course and uni. There's a part of my course I will like. I just haven't got to it yet. And I hope I will end up liking 51% of my course when all is said and done.
Listens to K-Pop (Twice, Red Velvet, MAMAMOO) and Christmas music all year round.

JR_StudyEd

• Forum Obsessive
  • Mental health is #1
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 05:38:07 pm »
+5
It's official. I think I want to change universities as soon as possible. I've been considering doing this for about a month now, and I'm convinced that my feelings are not a flash in the pan. If I haven't already made it clear, my current uni was not my first choice. I got in to the course because there was no ATAR requirement (basically got in by default). I don't like how there is no choice over what you do in first year. That makes little sense to me. Why wouldn't they give new students some choice over their subjects in order to explore their options? It might be just me and the way I am coping with the physical distancing laws, but I am really struggling to adapt to both remote learning and university in general. Although there are only 9 hours of classes a week, it only gives you more free time which isn't necessarily a good thing. I feel like the block model only works if you have a part-time job on top of it.

I am looking towards the University of Melbourne and the Bachelor of Arts, due to its generalist structure. But I will be careful to ensure that the information I obtain about the course and the university is as objective and accurate as possible. I might also change my mind between now and the mid-year intake, who knows?