Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:35:54 pm

Author Topic: Sacred texts quotes significant practice/figures  (Read 1764 times)  Share 

bobcheng1111

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Sacred texts quotes significant practice/figures
« on: March 22, 2018, 10:32:02 pm »
Hi! I was wandering if I need to include quotes from the sacred texts in my long response answers for significant practice and figures. I'm getting pretty confident at writing about how they express the principle beliefs of the faiths, but have trouble finding any suitable quotes for them and so was wandering whether doing so is worth the hassle.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Sacred texts quotes significant practice/figures
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 11:31:37 pm »
+1
Hey! My personal opinion is that you can get 100% without it, but that it is a great way to show in depth analysis of the tradition. I always did it, but that doesn't mean you need to!! Lots of ways to show that understanding, in my thinking at least :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 12:06:04 pm »
+2
I definitely think it is worth the hassle, even if just to have in your notes. I always recommend it, because sometimes your analysis might be lacking just that little bit, but your reference to sacred texts and writings could get you across the line :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bobcheng1111

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 10:54:12 pm »
I definitely think it is worth the hassle, even if just to have in your notes. I always recommend it, because sometimes your analysis might be lacking just that little bit, but your reference to sacred texts and writings could get you across the line :)
Thanks for the response Elyse! Would you also include references to sacred texts in the 5/8 marker short answer questions or just in the essay?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 12:26:22 pm »
Thanks for the response Elyse! Would you also include references to sacred texts in the 5/8 marker short answer questions or just in the essay?

So if you were asked a three marker, I probably wouldn't engage with the sacred texts and writings. Purely because the nature of these questions by trend doesn't typically require that level of support. From a 5 marker upwards, I'd be looking at using Sacred Texts and Writings. Sometimes it doesn't have to be a full quote and reference, because that takes up precious words that perhaps could be better used analysing, rather than stamping a quote in there. Sometimes it just has to be the reference, like the Biblical reference for example, rather than the full quote. This can be enough to say you know that the sacred texts support and sometimes even mandate the point you are focusing on.

Does this make sense?
Basically, yes I try to use these references in short answers as well, but it doesn't have to be a full quote with annotations.

bobcheng1111

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 12:31:02 am »
+1
So if you were asked a three marker, I probably wouldn't engage with the sacred texts and writings. Purely because the nature of these questions by trend doesn't typically require that level of support. From a 5 marker upwards, I'd be looking at using Sacred Texts and Writings. Sometimes it doesn't have to be a full quote and reference, because that takes up precious words that perhaps could be better used analysing, rather than stamping a quote in there. Sometimes it just has to be the reference, like the Biblical reference for example, rather than the full quote. This can be enough to say you know that the sacred texts support and sometimes even mandate the point you are focusing on.

Does this make sense?
Basically, yes I try to use these references in short answers as well, but it doesn't have to be a full quote with annotations.

Yeh I think it makes sense now :) thank you !

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 08:24:53 am »
Yeh I think it makes sense now :) thank you !

Great question - thanks for asking it! :)