Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 06:06:11 pm

Author Topic: sexual ethics and abortion  (Read 1449 times)  Share 

bobcheng1111

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
sexual ethics and abortion
« on: March 09, 2018, 01:18:39 pm »
Hi guys my teacher is saying that abortion is included in the sexual ethics component of the in depth studies, but every notes that I find on the internet seems to include it in the bioethics component. Should I still write about it in the exam?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: sexual ethics and abortion
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 11:20:37 pm »
Hi guys my teacher is saying that abortion is included in the sexual ethics component of the in depth studies, but every notes that I find on the internet seems to include it in the bioethics component. Should I still write about it in the exam?

Hey hey! I'd say it would work in either category - A marker isn't going to disqualify you for discussing it or anything!! I learned about it as part of Bioethics and it might suit a Bioethics essay a tad better, but if you want to write about it as a sexual ethics issue I'm sure that would be fine ;D

bobcheng1111

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 12:59:25 pm »
Hey hey! I'd say it would work in either category - A marker isn't going to disqualify you for discussing it or anything!! I learned about it as part of Bioethics and it might suit a Bioethics essay a tad better, but if you want to write about it as a sexual ethics issue I'm sure that would be fine ;D

Oh phew thats great thank you !

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:11:02 am »
+1
Just adding to this - my thought is that this is far more a bioethics issue seeing as it pertains to the ethics of medical and biological procedures and research.

But - abortions are a topic of sexual conversation when looking at "abortion as contraception" or abortion as the product of a sexual relationship between partners. I'd try and bring it back heavily to the sexual/intimate relationship two people share and how together or individually they might navigate ethics of aborting, rather than going into the discussion of "when does life begin" that is featured in bioethics.

Of course, follow this as your teacher teaches it - they're you're marker until the HSC exam after all! This is just how I'd angle it to fit it better with sexual ethics :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!