Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:35:13 pm

Author Topic: How are you going with SOR?  (Read 1105 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
How are you going with SOR?
« on: January 09, 2018, 11:45:43 am »
+3
Hello!

I'm culling from my legal slides and just finishing off the SOR slides for the lectures, but I thought I better put a feeler out here to see if anyone can give me some feedback on how they are finding the course so far.

I'm going to be focusing on the core content for the lecture next week, so I want to know:

Have you studied core yet or done the depth studies first?
What are you struggling with in this course?

Please let me know, any feedback is welcome :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

carina22222

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: How are you going with SOR?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 04:44:43 pm »
My school started with the depth study on Christianity first  :)

One thing that gets me is analysing the impact of  the significant person (good ol' Paul of tarsus) when there are a whole lot of Christian denominations.
Like, do we do it about the religion in general or do we have to explain for a couple of denominations?
I can never decide so I write everything I can
...yeah so my teacher always tells me I write too much when answering religion questions
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 04:46:49 pm by carina22222 »

alisoneom

• Trailblazer
  • I set Lisa as my dp to appear a lot smarter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:13:41 pm »
Hi Elyse! So I'm studying SOR 1 and my school has covered the religious tradition depth study of Islam first  :)

In terms of challenges, I find the content memorisation most challenging - my school covered Hajj as the Significant Practice of Islam, and I struggle with memorising all of the little (but essential) details like the destinations in the Hajj, practices that take place in each destination, where these practices were derived from, how these practices relate to the principal beliefs as well as finding quotes from sacred texts and relevant secondary sources! It doesn't help that I need to do this for Significant People and Ethics, plus another religion and the core topic  :-\

So I realise this sounded like one big complaint but I promise I'm thoroughly enjoying the subject - these are just concerns for my trials and HSC! I'm looking forward to the SOR lecture, especially since I really enjoyed the Head Start lecture in term 4 and found it really helpful ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:17:36 pm by alisoneom »
HSC 2018:
English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | Chemistry | Studies of Religion 1 | Music 2 | Music Extension

ATAR Goal: 98+

Dream Course:
- B Science / B Advanced Studies (Dalyell Scholars including Mathematical Sciences) @ USYD
- B Pharmacy and Management @ USYD

LegalEagle24/7

• Trailblazer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 09:44:41 pm »
Hi Elyse! My grade finished with Judaism Depth Study.  ;D
Spectacular lecture by the way! Also, we have nearly finished Judaism and Peace. I spoke to you after the lecture but I still cannot find the resources you said cause I can't remember the owner's name. Is it possible if you could direct me there?
Thanks so much!  :)