Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:26:36 pm

Author Topic: Business Management 3/4 Question  (Read 1422 times)  Share 

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
Business Management 3/4 Question
« on: May 07, 2017, 04:44:01 pm »
Hey all, I'm currently doing Bus Man 1/2. But I find it soooo boring and uninteresting. It's gotten to the point where I'm seriously considering dropping it at the end of the year for Accounting 3/4 next year. Does Bus Man get any better in 3/4? If any of you have done both Bus Man and Accounting, which one would you suggest is the better option (also keeping scaling as a factor).
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Business Management 3/4 Question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 04:52:45 pm »
Unfortunately it doesn't get any better in terms of engaging activities. That should have been done in Unit 1/2, given the flexibility. I remember when I did Unit 1/2, we ran the school's talent quest as a project. That was pretty cool.

3/4 is the nitty gritty theory - it will be very rare if you do any sort of practical activities. Disengagement and personal attitudes that are identified in unit 1/2 are signs that perhaps you are in the wrong subject. If it isn't a pre-requisite for any potential uni courses, I would consider a move.

Given it's not even mid-year yet... i'd give it a little while longer before you make the decision. Any Unit 3/4 subject you will find is primarily theory, unless you take up something like a VET subject.

(also keep scaling as a factor)
No No No.... You should be choosing subjects based on interest, not scaling. You are far more likely to score well in a subject you have an interest in. Don't just choose Accounting or Business for the sake of it, unless it is a pre-requisite for a uni course you are interested in doing after y12. If you want to ignore my advice and consider scaling.. then Accounting would be the better choice of the two, given Business scales down.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 04:55:52 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

forbiddensoulxx

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 05:57:35 pm »
Unfortunately it doesn't get any better in terms of engaging activities. That should have been done in Unit 1/2, given the flexibility. I remember when I did Unit 1/2, we ran the school's talent quest as a project. That was pretty cool.

3/4 is the nitty gritty theory - it will be very rare if you do any sort of practical activities. Disengagement and personal attitudes that are identified in unit 1/2 are signs that perhaps you are in the wrong subject. If it isn't a pre-requisite for any potential uni courses, I would consider a move.

Given it's not even mid-year yet... i'd give it a little while longer before you make the decision. Any Unit 3/4 subject you will find is primarily theory, unless you take up something like a VET subject.
No No No.... You should be choosing subjects based on interest, not scaling. You are far more likely to score well in a subject you have an interest in. Don't just choose Accounting or Business for the sake of it, unless it is a pre-requisite for a uni course you are interested in doing after y12. If you want to ignore my advice and consider scaling.. then Accounting would be the better choice of the two, given Business scales down.
They there, thanks a lot for your insight. I'm definitely going to give it a bit more time to see if it gets interesting. It could just be my teacher (even though I have him for legal as well and he's great for that). 
VCE
Spoiler
2017: Psychology [45]
2018: Economics [50] Legal Studies [42] Methods [37] Accounting [46] English Language [36]
ATAR: 98.4
Open to tutoring and selling notes for some of these subjects, PM me for more details!

Uni
Spoiler
Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Bachelor of Commerce @ Monash

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 06:04:30 pm »
They there, thanks a lot for your insight. I'm definitely going to give it a bit more time to see if it gets interesting. It could just be my teacher (even though I have him for legal as well and he's great for that). 

No worries. It definitely is a challenging decision to make - because an engaging teacher could end up being the 3/4 business teacher next year. I would remove the teacher from the equation and focus on the content: does the content engage you in any way? Because no matter what happens, teachers shift but the content remains relatively the same... so if there is some interest in whats being taught, maybe this is a good sign.

Definitely wait until Y12 subject selection and then if you're still feeling this way, consider the move.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile