Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:32:29 pm

Author Topic: P's Drive Test  (Read 3183 times)  Share 

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
P's Drive Test
« on: July 30, 2020, 06:03:04 pm »
+6
I'm going for my P's drive test tomorrow and I'm so scared! I literally am more stressed about this then any other test I have ever done.
I hate driving in silence and every time I think about it all I can hear is the robot voice that the testers do when they tell you where to go!

What are everyone's tips?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:00:09 pm by J_Rho »
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
Re: P's Drive Test
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 07:07:06 pm »
+12
Hey,
I also really hate driving in silence-I always need to have the radio on!!

Here are some of my tips:

-  Make your head checks super obvious at each turn or if your at the start of the lights (as they turn green).
-  A lot more emphasis on the actual drive than the manoeuvres.
- Try to be calm, take your time, don’t rush anything!
-  If you make a mistake don’t freak out! About halfway through my test, I accidentally did a kerbside stop when she asked for a reverse parallel park. She clarified, I got to fix it up and it still went well.
- The test only takes about 25-35ish minutes.
- The test officer will tell you exactly where to go and what lane to turn to, very similar to a GPS.
- Don’t be put off if you see them writing. It doesn’t mean your going badly, most of the time they were just checking off boxes.

Hope this helps! Good luck for tomorrow! :D
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 07:38:14 pm »
+14
I'm going for my P's drive test tomorrow and I'm so scared! I hate driving in silence and everytime I thin about it is the robot voice that the testers do when they tell you where to go!

What is everyone's tips?
My assessor was completely formal and only gave me directions without saying anything else.

The following may not be too helpful since your test is tomorrow but hopefully it will show you what you should expect.

If you haven't already make sure you really familiar with the car you are going to use. At the start, they give you a bunch of instructions such as using the wipers, changing gears, turning the lights on, use the demisters, headlights etc.

When starting the car make sure both you and the assessor have their seatbelts on. You really don't want to forget this.

The first 10-15 minutes of the test will usually be you driving around small suburban streets if they are available. In this section they are really checking to see whether you can control the car safely before letting you off in the highway. In this section make sure to signal every time, stop at the STOP sign for 3 seconds (all 4 wheels need to be completely stopped). When changing lanes exaggerate your head checks. At the end of this section, your assessor will tell you to complete a 3 point turn or reverse park.

For the 3 point turn make sure you check in front and behind before making the initial turn. You can use the start of a driveway but don't go into the driveway on private property. When reversing again you need to show that you are checking both sides before making the reverse turn.

For the reverse park, you will be given a car to stop alongside and park behind it. Make sure you don't hit the curb. It is ok to leave a bit of space between your car and the curb initially. You are allowed to go back and forth to straighten your car and get it within 30cm of the curb twice I believe.

For the second 15 minutes, it is all about driving in busier areas with multiple lanes. You will be asked to change lanes a heap of times. Each time make the signal for a few seconds -> headcheck -> change lanes.

Make sure you never mount the curb at any point of the test, don't stop in a pedestrian crossing or drive too slowly.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/your-ps/get-your-ps/the-drive-test

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 08:37:11 pm »
+9
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 10:07:17 pm »
+9
Seconding the exaggerated head checks lol.
Another big one is they may ask you to "change lanes when safe to do so" but it might not actually be safe so just because they've said the instruction, use your judgement as to whether it's actually safe to change lanes or not.

Another one is travel ~5km below the speed limit so there's no risk of the assessor seeing your speedo and thinking you've hit over the speedo, because going over is an instant fail.

Good luck for the test, I'm sure you'll nail it!! It's really not that bad :) Are you doing it with your driving instructor present as well?

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 10:26:57 pm »
+6
It's quite long but I found this test criterion very worthwhile to read.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/-/media/files/formsandpublications/licences/driving_instructors_drive_test_criteria.ashx

Make sure you never mount the curb at any point of the test, don't stop in a pedestrian crossing or drive too slowly.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licences/your-ps/get-your-ps/the-drive-test
Hope this helps! Good luck for tomorrow! :D
Good luck for the test, I'm sure you'll nail it!! It's really not that bad :) Are you doing it with your driving instructor present as well?
Thank you all for the advice!! Fingers crossed all goes well!
I'm not going with my instructor, should I worry about that haha?
— VCE —

— University —

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 12:50:02 am »
+8
Thank you all for the advice!! Fingers crossed all goes well!
I'm not going with my instructor, should I worry about that haha?

Nah - some people feel less stressed by having them there, but they're not allowed to help you while doing the test anyway. I know plenty of people (myself included) who did the test without their instructor that passed

Also, nobody's said it, but don't feel bad if you don't pass - it's more common than you'd think, particularly if you're feeling nervous. I actually have a friend who was super glad that they failed, because they were then so relaxed the second time that they took the test that they passed with flying colours. Anxiety isn't easy to overcome, but do remember that you'll get a second chance at this one, and you're definitely not alone in terms of anxiety or whether you pass or fail

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 09:50:26 am »
+19
I passed!!! Thank you all for the advice!
— VCE —

— University —

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 09:52:09 am »
+4

Fantastic - congratulations. :) How did you find it?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

J_Rho

• Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2020, 10:01:05 am »
+8
Fantastic - congratulations. :) How did you find it?

It was alright, it got better the longer we were driving around but it was stressful everytime she told me to go somewhere. I was so scared I wasn't checking my mirrors enough though! I got one error but that was because my tires were touching the white line at traffic lights :)
— VCE —

— University —

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2020, 10:13:06 am »
+5
Oooh congratulations!! Enjoy the freedom of having your license!! :D

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2020, 11:21:20 am »
+4
congratulations!

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2020, 11:26:33 am »
+3
CONGRATULATIONS, J_Rho! 🎉

angrybiscuit

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +204
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2020, 04:22:53 pm »
Is it worth knowing the route beforehand? I am petrified of the prospect of being directed as a drive, I get really stressed if the instructor says "turn left" and then I missed it because they say it too late or something. I feel like if I run through the possible route I'll be less stressed... Any advice is appreciated :)
somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.
carl sagan

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 04:24:25 pm »
+1
Is it worth knowing the route beforehand? I am petrified of the prospect of being directed as a drive, I get really stressed if the instructor says "turn left" and then I missed it because they say it too late or something. I feel like if I run through the possible route I'll be less stressed... Any advice is appreciated :)

My experience was that the instructor gave as much time as they could, but if they say "turn left!" super, super late, the safest thing might be to not take the turn.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.