Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 08:23:18 pm

Author Topic: Better memorisation of content  (Read 1318 times)  Share 

Elayg6

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Better memorisation of content
« on: February 07, 2017, 05:47:59 pm »
Hi everyone!
I am starting my first unit 3/4 as busman and want to know better or smarter ways when it comes to memorising subjects that contain lots of content. I have organised my notes so far in a very readable and colour coded manner which has had an impact but I still have trouble memorising some specific information. Is there anything else I can do?
Thanks!!

Glasses

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Disclaimer: I wear contact lenses now.
  • Respect: +186
Re: Better memorisation of content
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 09:15:38 pm »
+1
Hi everyone!
I am starting my first unit 3/4 as busman and want to know better or smarter ways when it comes to memorising subjects that contain lots of content. I have organised my notes so far in a very readable and colour coded manner which has had an impact but I still have trouble memorising some specific information. Is there anything else I can do?
Thanks!!

I found acronyms to be really helpful for business! Applying the information to examples and questions (even open book) can also be extremely beneficial when it comes to understanding (and thus, remembering) content :)
2015 - 2016 (VCE): Psychology, Religion & Society, Legal Studies, Business Management, Literature and English
2017 - Present: Bachelor of Laws (Honours)/Arts (Criminology & Psychology) @ Monash University

Aug 2016 - Sep 2018: VIC State Moderator

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: Better memorisation of content
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 07:13:36 pm »
Hey, Elayg6! :D

If it's any consolation (which it may not be), I think a lot of people will be in similar circumstances, so I guess that's a plus! BusMan truly is a content-heavy subject and, therefore, requires a bit of time and effort.

I agree with Glasses; mnemonics really helped me, too. But more than that, personalised mnemonics really helped me. It's one thing to have a bunch of mnemonics essentially summarising the content, but at the end of the day, you still need to remember those mnemonics. I tried to make all of my mnemonics personal, insofar as I made them relevant to what I liked. For me, that was cricket and footy, so I'd have all of my Business Management mnemonics about cricketers and footballers, and (importantly) liking that mnemonic back to the main concept. (Tell me if this bit didn't make sense; I find it difficult to explain fully sometimes.)

Otherwise, I'm a pretty big fan of the hard work approach. I know you're not "meant" to, but I rote learnt definitions. Did it take ages? Yeah. Did it work? Also yeah. I also convinced family members and friends to test me all the time. I found it great trying to talk through definitions and concepts; either, I did really well and became super confident with it ("Boo yah! I can do this!"), or I could tell precisely where I needed to improve ("... and... yeah, okay, I need to work more on this bit - could you go onto the next?").

Is there any content specifically you're struggling to keep in? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.