Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 05:38:32 pm

Author Topic: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ  (Read 76877 times)

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
Re: The CASual Journey to the End | Ashmi's VCE journal アシュ
« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2020, 08:12:11 am »
+6
Hey Ashmi. Yay, another update!!  ;D

It's really great that you're enjoying Physics! It's great that you have a subject like that where you want to keep doing it forever!
That's great about Methods! I can relate, doing extended response without CAS, would be a nightmare. Can't even imagine it.
It's really great you Physics and PDT sac you went well!

Spoiler
First of all, it's really great that you're writing down these raw thoughts because it makes you aware of them, and it's really great that you're not just ignoring them and hoping for the best. Also, I know you feel like you are a 'failure', but you are not. The real failures are the ones who don't get back up after not meeting their goals, but you're resilient, strong and determined, and so you got back up. You're trying to achieve your goals rather than giving up and not trying anymore. It's terrible to read about this but we should just do the best we can. I know this is very cliche and commonplace, but that's all we can ever do and sometimes we reach our goals and sometimes we don't, even though we felt like we did the best we could. Keep fighting and I know you're going to smash those goals and do amazingly fantastic in your subjects this year! You're a very hard working person and I know that you can achieve what you want! Also, about your teachers, they really shouldn't be doing that, and you should just ignore them and focus on your goals. Don't let them get you down.
I feel this way all the time and it majorly sucks. I feel like no matter how much effort I put in, I'm always going to get horrendous scores, and never improve. You're not alone! But, we need to keep trying even though we think we're not going to do well, because that's really the only chance we'll ever get. If we don't try, then it's impossible we're going to achieve our goals. YOU GOT THIS, ASHMI!! I'll be cheering you on the whole way!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:51:56 am by Evolio »

ArtyDreams

• MOTM: Jan 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Fly against the wind. Not with it.
  • Respect: +599
« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2020, 08:51:29 am »
+6
Yay its another update from ashmi!!!!

So awesome (and very inspiring) seeing that physics is going well for you! Its such a great subject!

***sending lots of artistic inspiration for your folio***
I'm so positive you will overcome artblock and completely ace your folio! Can't wait to see it done! Trust me, its such a relief when a folio is finished, but such a rewarding feeling!

Spoiler
Just adding on to everyone else, DO NOT doubt YOUR abilities based on the way your teachers are acting towards you. You are much more than that, and your abilities cannot be defined by simple number.  I absolutely love reading about your VCE adventures, because you're so inspirational and positive, and I truly thank you for that. The amount of practise exams you do doesn't define your abilities either, anything can happen on the day! I'm sure you will get over this soon, and its totally okay for feeling like this though, its totally normal! And you'll come out of this hole stronger and more determined to do well! Go ashmi!!

Hope you have an amazing week back at school!!  ;D

ashmi

• MOTM: June 20
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
  • Respect: +660
« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2020, 07:45:02 pm »
+10
Hey whys, TigerMum, Geoo, Sine, CM, Evolio and ArtyDreams! Thank you for your positivity and your logical/emotional support❤️. I barely know any of you, but here you are taking the time to read one of the messiest journals on AN and still type up a response and I really can't thank you all enough.

whys🦁:
Hello whys!
Welcome back to this mess of a journal where I expose my vulnerable thoughts to the anonymous people of the internet.
I love the board game analogy you used! I just wished that I could play for the sake of learning and lose without getting stepped on by those who shove their expectation onto me...
I just wished I could enjoy learning with no strings attached, is that too much to ask? (Maybe this is why I like Physics, cause there is no catch)
I try to ignore certain teachers, but it can be very hard when your locker is right next to the Further office (Thankfully my locker is getting moved due to corona spacing issues; a miracle has happened yay)

Thank you for the straightforward and supportive words whys and I hope you have a great week when you go back to school!
TigerMum🐅:
First off my bro TigerMum, why on earth were you awake at that hour of the night? Teach me your ways.

Definitely going to miss the sleeping in and the amount of extra time available! The main thing I'm looking forward too, is giving my eyes a break from looking at the computer screen too much and the science experiments.

Thank you so much for your supportive words and the offer to chat. 🥺🥺🥺It's reassuring to hear that someone else has similar issues with comparing (man I thought it was just another one of my whack thoughts).
Hope you have a lovely week TigerMum and have fun at school!
Geoo🎂:
Yo yo yo it's my tech buddy Geoo!!😃

When I say handing it in, it means finishing off what we call the first 3 criteria's out of 10! Usually criteria 5 - 9 will be making the product and the criteria's before and after is theory for it. I think my official folio handing in date where everything has to be done is the first week of September?

Geoo, we must be living parallel lives or something. I actually did think I was alone in my train of thought till I read your story, and I've got to say, I think we may be the same person but in different dimensions. You are so inspirational Geoo with your dedication to your subjects that I'm starting to feel motivated?? Either way, thank you for sharing your perspective of your story and good luck for the first week back!
Sine💿:
Hi Sine!
I honestly feel much better after reading your comment, its a logical approach and perspective, something that I needed to hear. I really did think this thought process would go away a long time ago, and I'm just really frustrated that it's still with me in May, the middle of the year...

Eitherway, thank you so much for taking the time to write your reply up!😊
Choco 🍫:
Hey hey Choco!😃

I think I need to whip out an Uno Reverse Card here cause I gotta say YOU were so inspirational to me when you popped up on AN! I feel 10000000% more motivated now after reading what you had to say. Thank you for understanding Choco and I'll try to pick up some hobbies again.🥺 (Yes having a folio due in two weeks is a struggle as it will probably smash me to bits but not without me smashing it first 🤣)

Thank you so so much Choco and have a fab week!
Evolio 🐘:
Hey Evolio! Thank you for stopping by to this chaotic mess.

Also, thank you for sharing your own feelings of the same issue. It really does suck to feel all down and all, but they way you put it makes it seem more bearable? You are so hardworking yourself and a total inspiration to me. 😭(I will be the one with the pom poms cheering you on!)
Thank you Evolio for taking the time to write up a reply and have a great week!
ArtyDreams🐨:
Yay it's ma Physics buddy Arty!

I hope your folio is going well Arty and that you have been doing great yourself!
I think you may have just summed up my whole problem in a nutshell... I've never thought about it in that way till you have mentioned it. You are definitely right with the 'doubt' bit and it's something that I don't think I've been able to fix this year. Thank you Arty for the kind words and I shall somehow get out of the hole! (Well assuming my escape velocity doesn't exceed the speed of light)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #213 on: May 26, 2020, 11:06:48 am »
+7
Hey whys, TigerMum, Geoo, Sine, CM, Evolio and ArtyDreams! Thank you for your positivity and your logical/emotional support❤️. I barely know any of you, but here you are taking the time to read one of the messiest journals on AN and still type up a response and I really can't thank you all enough.

whys🦁:
Hello whys!
Welcome back to this mess of a journal where I expose my vulnerable thoughts to the anonymous people of the internet.
I love the board game analogy you used! I just wished that I could play for the sake of learning and lose without getting stepped on by those who shove their expectation onto me...
I just wished I could enjoy learning with no strings attached, is that too much to ask? (Maybe this is why I like Physics, cause there is no catch)
I try to ignore certain teachers, but it can be very hard when your locker is right next to the Further office (Thankfully my locker is getting moved due to corona spacing issues; a miracle has happened yay)

Thank you for the straightforward and supportive words whys and I hope you have a great week when you go back to school!
TigerMum🐅:
First off my bro TigerMum, why on earth were you awake at that hour of the night? Teach me your ways.

Definitely going to miss the sleeping in and the amount of extra time available! The main thing I'm looking forward too, is giving my eyes a break from looking at the computer screen too much and the science experiments.

Thank you so much for your supportive words and the offer to chat. 🥺🥺🥺It's reassuring to hear that someone else has similar issues with comparing (man I thought it was just another one of my whack thoughts).
Hope you have a lovely week TigerMum and have fun at school!
Geoo🎂:
Yo yo yo it's my tech buddy Geoo!!😃

When I say handing it in, it means finishing off what we call the first 3 criteria's out of 10! Usually criteria 5 - 9 will be making the product and the criteria's before and after is theory for it. I think my official folio handing in date where everything has to be done is the first week of September?

Geoo, we must be living parallel lives or something. I actually did think I was alone in my train of thought till I read your story, and I've got to say, I think we may be the same person but in different dimensions. You are so inspirational Geoo with your dedication to your subjects that I'm starting to feel motivated?? Either way, thank you for sharing your perspective of your story and good luck for the first week back!
Sine💿:
Hi Sine!
I honestly feel much better after reading your comment, its a logical approach and perspective, something that I needed to hear. I really did think this thought process would go away a long time ago, and I'm just really frustrated that it's still with me in May, the middle of the year...

Eitherway, thank you so much for taking the time to write your reply up!😊
Choco 🍫:
Hey hey Choco!😃

I think I need to whip out an Uno Reverse Card here cause I gotta say YOU were so inspirational to me when you popped up on AN! I feel 10000000% more motivated now after reading what you had to say. Thank you for understanding Choco and I'll try to pick up some hobbies again.🥺 (Yes having a folio due in two weeks is a struggle as it will probably smash me to bits but not without me smashing it first 🤣)

Thank you so so much Choco and have a fab week!
Evolio 🐘:
Hey Evolio! Thank you for stopping by to this chaotic mess.

Also, thank you for sharing your own feelings of the same issue. It really does suck to feel all down and all, but they way you put it makes it seem more bearable? You are so hardworking yourself and a total inspiration to me. 😭(I will be the one with the pom poms cheering you on!)
Thank you Evolio for taking the time to write up a reply and have a great week!
ArtyDreams🐨:
Yay it's ma Physics buddy Arty!

I hope your folio is going well Arty and that you have been doing great yourself!
I think you may have just summed up my whole problem in a nutshell... I've never thought about it in that way till you have mentioned it. You are definitely right with the 'doubt' bit and it's something that I don't think I've been able to fix this year. Thank you Arty for the kind words and I shall somehow get out of the hole! (Well assuming my escape velocity doesn't exceed the speed of light)

I know I'm tuning in late but:

my reply

Perception is a tricky thing, especially when it comes to subjective things like glares. I'm not there so I don't know what's going on, but it's possible that for some of the teachers (especially after initially having bad reactions) you have been more avoidant around those teachers and more tense and they're picking up on that vibe which is why they're acting "off". It's also easy to see people as judging you about something when you're self-conscious about it. Your teachers might not be judging you as much as you think.

Something I've learnt is that it's easy to attribute others' behaviours to ourselves even when that's not the case. Someone might not talk to you because they're annoyed at you, or because they don't know what to say, or because they feel self-conscious, or because they're busy, or because they have so much going on in their head in that moment processing another person is hard.

Maybe they are judging you for further but it could be easy to think that even if they weren't.

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #214 on: June 08, 2020, 08:15:40 pm »
+14
✰Update: 8/06✰

Hey AN! I think this is the first time I haven't gone on AN in two weeks... (Catching up with the amazing journals on here has been super hard). Life has gotten in the way and I've been overwhelmed by everything but I'm back with another journal update!  8)

Songs of this journal update goes to:
I couldn't decide on one🤣

✰I live in my school's Physics room✰
So on the first day back at school, the very first place I went to was the Physics room. That's right, I bypassed food and my locker for the physics room. 100% worth it.
We have been learning electromagnetism and induction (AOS 2) and there was something I got really fascinated about. Mother nature doesn't like change and creates a "force" (not exactly a force but for simplicity) to oppose changes in magnetic flux, so I thought, hmmmm how can I use this to my advantage? Well after seeing an experiment with a metal ring go flying because of this idea I was like, YO LET'S MAKE SOMETHING THAT SHOOTS SOMETHING. (My inner gamer coming out here)

And thus, for the past two weeks of my life, I've been trying to construct this device that whenever I change something, I can project something metallic. It wasn't until last Friday where my Physics teacher explained that it looked like I was trying to make a railgun...
So yeah, long story short I've been trying to make a small scaled railgun and shoot random things with it.

Other than that, I've gone completely off topic with the VCE course and was like" I wanna learn rotational mechanics" so that's where I've been.... I know what I'm about to say sounds really lame, but now I can spin a bicycle wheel and tell you what's going on.😂
We have a SAC next term on electrical power which is a big relief (less to worry about) and so far so good!

✰Chemy Chemy Chem Chem✰
Had a SAC afterschool last Thursday. Didn't go as well as I wanted but I'm glad it's over and that means moving onto the Scientific Investigation! I'm relieved to finally have that SAC off my mind and move onto other more important things and hopefully improve in the future! Someone remind me why I picked this subject again? I needed Spesh maths more than this...

✰CAS has entered the chat✰
HELLO MY LITTLE CAS BABY WHAT'S UP?
So our official Methods SAC has been moved?? To next term??? WHAT?
We have just been having tests here and there but nothing official. I really have no clue what's going on but will update when I know something. There is one thing I do know though and that is the fact I have another Methods Test in 2 weeks. Fun times! Other than that, things seem to be going smoothly.

✰Drawing? What's that? PDT✰
Hahahahaha.... Hey mate. Long time no see.
So let's start with that 70 mark SAC I had the other day. Ya girl over here somehow managed to get full marks and I still don't know how but WOOHOOO I'll take it! So yes, after my mini celebration I got back onto drawing design options. My folio got checked last week and so far was so good! Now, I just have to finalise everything so I can start on working drawings soon.

Spoiler

Some drawings I've been working on recently. One of them may actually be the real thing I make UwU

✰Yo Rear Window English✰
I'm not going to even comment on this subject cause nothing is happening. I'm not joking this subject is so boring and I can't even engage with it. I want it to disappear ASAP but then again I know I need to do well or I'm screwed. I'm really hoping I can bring up my average after that A.A SAC so at least I can stand a chance at end of year exams.

Life/Goals and you name it mini-update:
So a lot has happened since I've been off AN. Let's talk positive though.
I think the first big thing is that now, I now firmly know what I wanna do in 2021. I want to study electrical engineering, and that is final. Turns out that my Physics teacher is an E.E and after talking to him, something sort of "clicked" in me, something felt "right". I can't describe this feeling but after feeling lost for a long time, this is it, I have finally found it. I have a goal and my lord it feels good to know there is something to chase after.

So YAS that's the good bits. Moving onto the more shocking realisation bits. Hahaha... I just looked at the VTAC statistics for the courses I'm considering, and both look quite...daunting?

I mean looking at the UniMelb Bachelor Sci/Masters Eng was already terrifying enough with its median being 98.15 but then I looked at the BSci and median 91.85... I'm scared, it looks tough.
Other than that, I've finally gotten back onto my feet after what seems forever and I'm ready to tackle the challenge once again. I need to keep going forward and that's exactly what I'm gonna do! I am not looking back now and I've got my eyes staring straight ahead. I'm going to drag myself over to my goal even if it kills me. I am getting there slowly and I'm trying but I WILL get there. I AM GOING TO MAKE IT...somehow Ok that sounds so cheesy
Spoiler
*Make way negative Ashmi coming through*

Personal life-wise, everything has been a bloody mess, especially in the past few weeks.

I think the one thing I can talk about which isn't dark in this journal though, is the idea that for the past few days, my parents have been trying to stop me from studying something STEM-related? They know I hate finance and business yet no matter how much I say no, they are very... persistent. Yeah, that's the best word for this scenario. Persistent.
I've tried reasoning with them multiple times, but it seems they don't want to accept what I'm saying? I'm paying for my course anyway so I don't know why you guys are angry? I think I sort of got the idea with what they were saying when it comes to 'good paying', but I'm not really all about the money? I more about the enjoyment and being happy concept? I think it will go away with a bit of time and they are going to have to accept it anyway cause these science/maths subjects makes me happy.

This journal itself has also become my "recovery mechanism". It holds no other purpose than to stop me from going insane, and so far, it has stopped me countless times from falling too deep. I'm grateful that somewhere on the internet, I can write and write and write without no one ever finding out who I really am. Maybe it's the idea that on here, I don't need to be an illusionist. One day, this journal might help someone out, but in the meantime, it's here to talk about the weird, wonderful and the wild stuff.

OKI DOKI LEMME MOVE ON BRO.
Something good happened today, I got another tutoring job for Further! I'm really happy to be teaching as it forces me to be social and actually communicate which is a plus! There is something I love about teaching others... not sure what it is though. Might find that out in the future.

Goals for now:
> Get into at least BSci at MelbUni (and be the first person on my Dad's side to have a tertiary education whoop whoop! Even better the BSci + Masters Eng)
> Smash some Physics Unit 3 exams
> Get PDT together and mass print folio out.
> Go to Muji and treat myself for once.
> Start studying like wildfire to make sure PDT doesn't swallow me whole for my other subjects.
> Just hope that I've done enough to get me to that next step in life.
That's it for today's update! I have started sewing some costumes and I'm hoping to do some more crafty stuff this weekend (Might show a pic of the product when it's done too) ;D

J_Rho

• MOTM: MARCH 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +756
« Reply #215 on: June 08, 2020, 08:33:51 pm »
+5
✰Update: 8/06✰
YAYYYYYYYYYYYY an update! I'm glad you are getting back into the swing of things and figured out what you want to do with your life, you will not only make it but smash it too ash!
I understand the pressures of 'persistent' parents, and although I'm not having the same issue as you, I get it and I promise they will come around, they just have to realise that STEM is what truly makes you happy ♡
— VCE —
English 30, Further Maths 33, Biology 33, Legal Studies 27, Psychology 32

— University —
Bachelor of Nursing @ Monash
Bachelor of Counselling & Psychological Science @ ACAP

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #216 on: June 08, 2020, 08:44:35 pm »
+6
Yay Ash I am so excited that you have updated your journal! One of my fav's here on AN!

I am so proud of all your efforts and I know you can smash your next SACs (full marks for PDT is incred!) 🥰

I completely understand your issue, but remember this is your life and I know you can smash VCE and get into your desired course ❤️😆
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

Chocolatemilkshake

• MOTM: JAN 21
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +371
« Reply #217 on: June 08, 2020, 09:59:14 pm »
+6
100% on PDT THAT'S AMAZING! Congratulations I'm so proud and you so deserve it - I hope you're celebrating!  ;D

It's great to see you've gotten back on your feet again Ash. Your passion for physics and desire to become an electric engineer is so cool and super inspiring! You know it already but keep at the STEM subjects and keep doing what you love. I hope that your parents come round eventually and realise what an incredible hard-working child they have; that it doesn't matter what field you go into, as long as you love it and are giving it your all (which you are  ;))

Good job on all the sacs and all the best for the ones to come. Loving the drawings  ;D
2021-2025: BMedSci/M.D @ Monash

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #218 on: June 09, 2020, 07:16:49 pm »
+5
Congratulations on your PDT marks, I'm so happy for you! It's so inspiring to see your passions for engineering through this journal, I'm absolutely positive you'll be able to reach your uni goals! Keep smashing it and you'll do amazing things.
I understand the struggle with your parents, but I'm hoping they'll come around as they see how you are so passionate about this.

Can't wait to see more from you, really keen to see some art!!!!  ;D

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #219 on: June 09, 2020, 10:10:18 pm »
+8
J_Rho🦋
OMG is that J_Rho?! I feel so honoured!
Thank you for stopping by to this mess and a huge thank you for your positivity! I'm hoping the 'persistent' nature goes away soon and hopefully they do come around.
Your words mean a lot and I know I keep repeating myself but thank you🥺.

Hope you have a fab week J_Rho!
Eloisegrace🌤
It's El!🥰
Hello and welcome back! (Btw, I love your journal so much I can't even begin to tell you how much of a fav it is)
The amount of encouragement in this is woah too much for me. Thank you so much for taking the time to write up a reply and you have defs made my day!

Enjoy the rest of the week El!
Choco🍫
NOW HERE IS MY FAV BUDDY CHOCO! (I love you so much that words cannot even describe it).

First of all, yes, I have celebrated with a whole pack of sweets! Honestly, I don't know where this passion has come from but hopefully it stays for a while. Thank YOU for being the lovely and encouraging person you are and you have seriously made me feel 100% better. (Might I add, at this point of reading your comment and the previous ones I've been crying)

Have a wonderful week Choco!
Jeydanaazli💫
Oh would you look here? It's MY ANIME BRO!
Hey Jeyda welcome to this bottomless mess filled with anime galore! (yes, my fav Haikyuu boi is Oikawa)

At this point of reading everyone else's comments, I was already crying, but your comment just set that rate to rapid crying. Thank you thank you thank you for your kind words and I hope you find it somewhat entertaining to see what's going on in this mucked up life of mine! I'm really hoping that come around in the future but for now I guess I'll keep on at it!

I shall post more art soon don't worry. Thank you for stopping by Jeyda and have a beautiful week!

✰Super Mini-Update: 9/06✰

This isn't anything major, but I just wanted to share with you guys some weird pics of what the back of the Physics room at my school looks like thanks to me playing around...
Very irrelevant update so feel free to skip past this. Might be good for those that might want to study Physics or just wanna know what goes on in this rabbit hole.
Spoiler
Spoiler
First off is me playing around with a bar magnet (red one) and trying to strengthen the magnetic field with the two magnets attached perpendicular to the bar magnet. I think the two magnets on the side are possibly neodymium magnets? (Might be a bit weaker than that though) I also played around with wrapping the coil around multiple times and when you rotate it in a magnetic field, it's able to turn the light in the corner on. (Both DC and AC). Summary = Rotate = change = let there be LIGHT. I must say though, trying to separate those magnets nearly made me loose a finger...

Spoiler
On the right hand side here was the 'thing' I was talking about when it comes to shooting metallic objects. Yeah... This was the railgun thingy I was trying to make on a more 'larger' scale.
If you guys do Chem, think of it as equilibrium or L.C.P, when I try to push the metal ring down, the 'device' tries to create a 'force' up to counteract this change. Nature does not like change, hates it with a passion actually.
It's not on in this pic, but if it was, that metal ring would go FLYING, well, assuming that it's a closed circuit. As soon as there is a slit it will no longer work as a current can't be passed through. I can't really go too far as no one will understand what on earth I'm saying but it's got to do with magnetic forces and induced currents. (For my physics friends it's always good to wear a bracelet into the exam)

Spoiler
And last but not least, the super sexy oscilloscope. It looks surprisingly new considering how old it is. I have been mesmerised by the amount of sinusoidal waves recently and there is something in particular I like about this handy device. I would totally love to have something like this but these things are pricey! For this mini demo, it was connected to AC and then we had someone with a bike pedal. The faster you pedal , the higher the amp and the shorter the period. This particular graph is showing the time vs voltage or for you Physics bois at home, the emf. I was sort of just playing around with the idea of how quickly I could change magnetic flux and this happened.

I'm so sorry for rambling on that long but MY LORD this topic is soooooooo good! I absolutely love this electromagnetic induction going on and there is so much to play with. I might of had a near miss with electrocuting myself today or crushing my hand with some super strong magnets hidden in the back of the Physics room but I'm ready to see the next adventure waiting for me! (As you can see, this work area is a MESS)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 10:14:13 pm by ashmi »

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #220 on: June 20, 2020, 10:03:17 am »
+7
✰Update: 20/06✰

Hey AN! For those familiar with my journal welcome back and to those that are new welcome abroad to one of the messiest, out of control journals on here. So this month is going super quick, a little too quick but that's good in a way as that means the holidays are coming soon. Oki now onto the juicy update you guys are probably keen for:

Song of the week goes to:

✰Physics✰
I don't actually have much to say for this subject other than the fact it's going great! Our SAC is like Methods, the first week back of next term on Induction. I'm not feeling super prepared right now so my aim this week is to finish off some exam-style questions and then try to fully understand the concepts and how they are applicable in real life. I've also started a few weeks ago my big Unit 3 exam booklet which I'm hoping to get done by the end of the holidays.

I feel like I'm gambling every time I do this subject. Sometimes the stuff you put in comes out with great rewards whereas other times you put things in it gives you nothing. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with this subject and although I know I'm not ranked well in the class (probably somewhere in the middle) I'm just hoping I can do well enough in exams so my score is good enough for what I want to do in the future.

✰PDT✰
On Tuesday, I handed in one of the biggest folios I've ever made in my life. I think just for the first 3 criteria I had over 45 pages and that doesn't seem like a lot till you look at the folio. I am super happy that is done. That mini-thesis has been on my mind for a good 6 months and it feels so nice for it to leave. Next week, we are working on working drawings and production planning so we can start making our product next term! I've also started doing exam revision for this subject because content-heavy stuff like this is my biggest weakness and will definitely be a subject I need to put a decent amount of effort into.

✰Methods✰
Methods is going GUCCI!
We have our SAC first week back of next term, and I think this is one of those subjects I have under control for once. I'm just going to finish off some exam questions and try finding some harder extended response questions. I might also make my own mini prac SAC to see if I really understand what I'm doing.

✰Chemy✰
I have officially accepted at this point that this subject is going to be a 10% increment.
Chem is going pretty decently for a subject that I don't even need. (If I could go back in time, someone make me do Spesh. At least I know I'll enjoy it in uni)
We did our practical investigation the other day and bless it for being a data analysis task cause I got full marks! After my mini celebration (sad it's only worth a bit) I went back to the organic chem.

I'm not expecting anything from this subject and I do have a few regrets picking it, but as they say, you got to ride the wave!

✰English✰
I'm trying. I'm seriously trying with everything I have but this subject doesn't want to budge. Our text response SAC is next term thankfully and it gives me time to hopefully reflect on my current methods and see if I can improve. (really wished I changed to Englang now...)
I am absolutely terrified of this subject and this is definitely going to drag my whole ATAR down at the rate it's going. Even at my best, it's not going to cut it for this subject. Feedback is super hard to get from my teacher as she has such a long delay in getting an essay back so this means I probably should get some done before next week so I've got time to get feedback and improve!
I am not giving up just yet but let me say I've slowly started to accept that I'm not getting into my first preference. I am going to get better at this subject, but I do wonder at what cost?

Study Scores:
(I'm copying this from Choco's, whys' and El's journey journal so thank you for the idea! Completely forgot about type of stuff)

Subject likely raw scores at the rate things are going:

English: 35 (This is a tad bit unrealistic)
PDT: 44 if the exam is hard
Chemy: 35
Fizixs: 35-39
Methods: 35-39

Likely ATAR based on this: 92.20 - 94.25

With my current life circumstances I'm in, I would be pretty happy with this as it would get me into my second preference! (It also means I would be the first person to have a tertiary education from one side of the family and honestly, I think that would be one of my biggest achievements)
(See 'Uni thoughts' for more :D )
My Dream Scores and ATAR that I will cry over:

English: 37 I will probably need to perform a demonic ritual to achieve this.
PDT: 45+
Chemy: 38?
Fizixs: 44? This would take a miracle and a sacrifice to VCAA.
Methods: 40 Again, another sacrifice, this time my CAS and Bound Reference

Likely ATAR based on this: 96.45+

University thoughts:
So at our school, we had the big tertiary talk. First thing off the bat we were told to do was to take the time to explore our options for the future which essentially is looking at uni courses. With this in mind, I sort of wandered around everywhere online to look at realistic courses that I may be interested in and sort out some preferences. I've started accumulating a list of courses, however, the more I look into this type of stuff, the further away it looks?

What preferences are currently looking like

I'm just really hoping for No.2 BSci @ Melbuni at this point. I'm finding it really hard to fill up the 8 slots and probably will just leave it at 6 till I can figure something else out.  :-\

The big question I have is, 'How does transferring from one uni to another work?'. I'm just a little bit confused if its easier or harder than VCE and does the uni you attend before you transfer have any significant impact to you if you decide to transfer elsewhere? (E.g. Going from RMIT to MelbUni vs Monash to MelbUni).

I'm struggling to plan out pathways just in case I don't get into BSci @MelbUni (which is one of my dream courses) and I'm not too sure what to do? I've tried talking to my careers counsellor but she sorts of shrugs me off and says I'm most likely going to get the scores I need for the course, but anything can happen. I can't find any threads on AN about this type of stuff and most of the journey journals that I've read previously get into their first preference so I was wondering if anyone might know maybe a link to something or have first-hand advice about this?

Also, some good news. After the news that came out today about uni fees changing (Engineering going down 20% and commerce going up 28%), my parents have come around super quickly and now are not as furious with me wanting to do something science-related. (Yay it's a miracle! You won't believe how happy I am).

I've also decided after the Physics exam (24th Nov), I am shredding everything relating to VCE (unless I can sell it or someone wants it) and starting FRESH. I plan to get rid of nearly everything I own and just start with an empty room which has no more than a bed and a desk. I'm planning for a massive Kmart/IKEA run and just thinking about it makes me excited... Right now, I crave freedom so badly. It's just taking such an emotional/physical toll, I'm just ready to get out of VCE and finally start my life over again. I would like to have a massive reset and that is something that I'm looking forward to when the day comes.
That's it for today's journal entry! See you all next time ;D

blueycan

• MOTM: AUG 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #221 on: June 20, 2020, 05:51:47 pm »
+3
ashmi!! always so good to see your updates!
PDT sounds so exciting!!! 45 pages of a portfolio seems like so much to me, I'm so proud of you for smashing through it! really can't wait to see everything you come up with next term  ;D

regarding uni - if your careers counsellor isn't that helpful I'm guessing that the unis themselves could help you with your questions about pathways. from what I've seen, RMIT are pretty supportive with pathways and their online help service could possibly answer some of your questions. maybe try reaching out to Melbourne's student support as well? also, I'm sure asking around in the uni chat here on AN could help a lot.

I've also decided after the Physics exam (24th Nov), I am shredding everything relating to VCE (unless I can sell it or someone wants it) and starting FRESH.
i've already started the countdown for you lmao. i bet that first night's sleep after everything is cleared and clean will be the best you've had ahahah can't wait to do the same thing next year tbh

holidays is so soon, make sure you enjoy your well deserved break! <3

eloisegrace

• MOTM: April 20
  • Forum Obsessive
  • she/her ~ class of 2021
  • Respect: +264
« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2020, 07:14:25 pm »
+3
✰Physics✰
I don't actually have much to say for this subject other than the fact it's going great! Our SAC is like Methods, the first week back of next term on Induction. I'm not feeling super prepared right now so my aim this week is to finish off some exam-style questions and then try to fully understand the concepts and how they are applicable in real life. I've also started a few weeks ago my big Unit 3 exam booklet which I'm hoping to get done by the end of the holidays.
Yay! I am so happy that this subject is going well for you! Your love for physics definitely shines through this journey and I know you will do so well!

✰PDT✰
On Tuesday, I handed in one of the biggest folios I've ever made in my life. I think just for the first 3 criteria I had over 45 pages and that doesn't seem like a lot till you look at the folio. I am super happy that is done. That mini-thesis has been on my mind for a good 6 months and it feels so nice for it to leave. Next week, we are working on working drawings and production planning so we can start making our product next term! I've also started doing exam revision for this subject because content-heavy stuff like this is my biggest weakness and will definitely be a subject I need to put a decent amount of effort into.
A folio of 45 pages! That is so much omg! Legit so proud ash🥰🥰

✰Methods✰
Methods is going GUCCI!
We have our SAC first week back of next term, and I think this is one of those subjects I have under control for once. I'm just going to finish off some exam questions and try finding some harder extended response questions. I might also make my own mini prac SAC to see if I really understand what I'm doing.
YAY WE LOVE WHEN METHODS GOES WELL hahahahaha. Good luck for your SAC, I know you can do it and making your own SAC is so dedicated and I didn't even think or that (I wouldn't have been bothered to either haha I'm so lazy)

Spoiler
I know VCE is hard, but I am so certain that you will achieve what you want! Even if you don't get them (which isn't going to happen because you are so damn smart and hardworking, there is always other options and I am sure that you will get to where you want to study.
Random, but I am also heavily considering a bachelor of science with grad pack at Melb Uni so twinnies😆 *prays for anywhere near the 98 atar for physio that ain't gonna happen lmao
Also, I completely get what you mean by wanting a fresh start after VCE. VCE is tough, very tough, and I know you can do it. Having the excitement of a massive shopping spree could legit get me through anything and I pretty sure you feel the same  ;)
Have a great week Ash!
2020 - mathematical methods [42] | further mathematics [45]
2021 - english language [45] | chemistry [36] | french [33] | physical education [44]
ATAR - 98.75
my vce journey !
2022 - bachelor of commerce and bachelor of politics, philosophy and economics @ the australian national university

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #223 on: June 21, 2020, 08:03:19 pm »
+8
ashmi!! always so good to see your updates!
PDT sounds so exciting!!! 45 pages of a portfolio seems like so much to me, I'm so proud of you for smashing through it! really can't wait to see everything you come up with next term  ;D

regarding uni - if your careers counsellor isn't that helpful I'm guessing that the unis themselves could help you with your questions about pathways. from what I've seen, RMIT are pretty supportive with pathways and their online help service could possibly answer some of your questions. maybe try reaching out to Melbourne's student support as well? also, I'm sure asking around in the uni chat here on AN could help a lot.
i've already started the countdown for you lmao. i bet that first night's sleep after everything is cleared and clean will be the best you've had ahahah can't wait to do the same thing next year tbh

holidays is so soon, make sure you enjoy your well deserved break! <3

OMG IT'S JEYDA!🥰 ;D (I'm honoured you are even reading this journal)

Thank you very much for your kind words on PDT! I'm hoping there will be some more action soon and hopefully I finish my product soon. I also completely forgot that there were online help services (my mind is so used to covid closing everything. Obviously hasn't adjusted yet) and I think that probably will be my next point of call! I'm very excited for 155 days to go by so I can finally be free and give my room the well deserved clean it desires.

Enjoy your last week of school Jeyda ;D

Yay! I am so happy that this subject is going well for you! Your love for physics definitely shines through this journey and I know you will do so well!
A folio of 45 pages! That is so much omg! Legit so proud ash🥰🥰
YAY WE LOVE WHEN METHODS GOES WELL hahahahaha. Good luck for your SAC, I know you can do it and making your own SAC is so dedicated and I didn't even think or that (I wouldn't have been bothered to either haha I'm so lazy)

Spoiler
I know VCE is hard, but I am so certain that you will achieve what you want! Even if you don't get them (which isn't going to happen because you are so damn smart and hardworking, there is always other options and I am sure that you will get to where you want to study.
Random, but I am also heavily considering a bachelor of science with grad pack at Melb Uni so twinnies😆 *prays for anywhere near the 98 atar for physio that ain't gonna happen lmao
Also, I completely get what you mean by wanting a fresh start after VCE. VCE is tough, very tough, and I know you can do it. Having the excitement of a massive shopping spree could legit get me through anything and I pretty sure you feel the same  ;)
Have a great week Ash!

Hey El!🥰

Ahhh thank you thank youuuu. Absolutely agree with you that we love the feeling when Methods IS ACTUALLY GOING WELL🤣.

Spoiler
Ummm bro, just because I'm hardworking doesn't mean I'm going to get in🤣. We gotta plan out those pathways just in case something down the track goes horribly wrong (you never know but hopefully it doesn't become a reality).

First of all, I 100% believe that you are going to get that 98 hands down. (Melb Uni TWINZIESSS *High fives*). The grad packs are very nice to look at and woah Physio sounds really good! (I would love to hear more about the Physio in your next journal update whenever that comes around). I'm ready to do a massive shopping spree at my fav stores and I'm going to have a shopping spree like there is no tomorrow (especially at Ikea).
Have a lovely week El!

ashmi

• Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Living an illusion
« Reply #224 on: June 27, 2020, 10:07:19 pm »
+8
✰Update: 27/06✰

Hello hello AN! Welcome back to another journal entry where I have no clue what's going on or what I'm doing with my life but that's fine! I will attempt to try and describe my messy life story but in the meantime, sit back and get some popcorn ready cause this is going to be one interesting update. (Not really but you get what I mean)

Song of the week goes to:
Emotions of the week summed up into one piece: Minami's "Hollowness"
✰Physics/Fizixs✰
Accomplishments/fun-facts since the last journal update:
✧ I may have electrocuted myself again. Yay. My relationship with this subject is quite electrifying..... Ok I will stop.
✧ I've just learnt my Physics teacher literally made the 2014 VCAA Physics exam. Like not just vetted the exam (which he usually does), he legit made that particular paper from scratch. I have always wondered why the 2014 Grade Distribution for the A+ cut-off was so low compared to other years🤣.
Spoiler
✧Adding onto the previous point, I've also learnt he went to Harvard at some point in his education. Oh yeah he also made "things" (I really don't know how to describe it but its BIG and has wires EVERYWHERE) for CERN too. Moral of the story, I feel extremely dumb as a student and these holidays I'm going to work my butt off to make sure I'm not that much of a disappointment.

Overall Physics:
I really really really really really really really like you~~~
Physics has been going really well and I'm loving the content that is coming straight out of it. It's engaging, fun and actually pretty useful compared to some of the other stuff I learn. 10/10 would recommend this subject.

Spoiler

The transformer goes sparky sparky. Gotta say I love this topic of electricity and it's way too much fun. I've lost track of how many times I come to the Physics room at my school now. I just really like making things randomly explode out of nowhere and just seeing how the Physics behind it works.

✰PDT✰
✧Successfully acquired a hatred to my drawing tablet
✧Still cannot draw a straight line. Definitely going to get 100% for end of year exams now surely. ::)
✧Production? Yeah that's non-existent. I might get to that later.

Let's just say for this subject crunch time begins starting from Monday morning.

✰Chemy for the STEMY bois✰
✧ Still a 10% subject. Nothing is changing the fact it is anymore.
✧ Organic Chem? Please stay away from me you reincarnated demon. Give me back Redox I don't want to do this.
✧I have tried boiling up some water for my coffee using a bunsen burner. My teacher wouldn't let me have the coffee *RIP Ashmi's beloved coffee* :'(

Chemy = Ashmi doesn't like you.
I'm trying my best right now but this subject is a big no. I need that massive red NO button from Officeworks specifically for this class. The one thing I've learnt this year is that I absolutely hate memorising things, and this subject sadly is one where I'm forced to do so (I wish you were like Physics... Why can't I just understand rather than remember all these weird things for no reason). Definitely not pursuing anything Chem related in uni that's for sure.

✰Methods✰
✧ Ya girl is getting along with her CAS very nicely. It's going to be our 3 year anniversary soon.
✧ I have received 100 digital exams dating back to the dark ages of 1996 VCE. Someone save me from this subject I'm scared. Please get me out of here before my teacher or her bottles of cordial drown me. :-X
✧ Waiting eagerly for probability to save my butt for end of year exams.

This subject is definitely my most chill subject besides English and I find the content very enjoyable and much easier than Year 11? (weird).
I really like you too Methods. You are very chill with me and the content is GREAT.

✰English✰
✧Class party on Friday filled with coffee and fairy bread
✧ I have written and done many planned prompts for Rear Window
✧ Still my worst subject but we are getting there

I swear, if I need to look at Rear Window frame by frame one more time I'm just going to book myself the next plane ticket out of Melb.

✰Holiday Homework:✰
Spoiler
PDT: Study for SAC 3rd week back (Fix Workbook/Textbook/mistakes log)
   • Working Drawings
   • Production Plan
   • Risk assessment
   • Construction skirt
   • Construction Prop
   • Exam prep cause we are on our last SAC.

Physics: SAC first week back
   • Rewrite examiners report mistakes into my mistakes log
   • Checkpoints: Finish off Transmission of electricity
   • Unit 3 Exam Booklet (15 exams)
   • TSSM Practise exams (9 exams)
   • Triple check study design to make sure anything I've learnt for Unit 4 beforehand is still relevant
   • Get mentally prepared to start cracking trial exams in another month or two

Methods: SAC first week back
   • Finish bound reference
   • Checkpoints: Finish Extended Response
   • Practise SACs (4)
   • Finish a quarter of exam booklet (6 exams)
   • Start on the 100 digital exams cause and pray I can get through enough.
   • Review and add to mistakes log.

Chem: 4th week back SAC
   • Review mistakes log and study design
   • Finish organic Chem
   • Checkpoints O-Chem
   • Prac Exams (6)
   • Unit 3 Prac exams (4)

English: 2nd Week back SAC
   • Essay prompt deconstruction (5 minimum)
   • Essay fully completed (min 3)
   • Reread comparative texts (2 books)
   • Do some Argument Analysis prep.
A few days ago, we got these massive exam revision booklets and I have no clue how to survive. I probs won't even get half of this done but I may as well try!
Thanks for reading and have a great weekend everyone! ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:11:54 pm by ashmi »