Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 18, 2024, 12:47:42 pm

Author Topic: Worlds of Upheaval Practice Questions  (Read 9014 times)  Share 

Partinus

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Worlds of Upheaval Practice Questions
« on: July 06, 2019, 06:35:29 pm »
Hey guys,

In preparation for Trials, I was wondering if anyone had a list of practice essay questions for Worlds of Upheaval, as it's very difficult to find questions online given that it's a new syllabus. Preferably some with quote stimuli as well.

Thanks!  :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Worlds of Upheaval Practice Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 11:10:39 pm »
+2
Hey, Partinus!

This is an excellent idea of a longer resource for this thread  :) I'll definitely look into creating a more extensive list  8) You can easily devise some using your rubric (it's one big essay question generator)! The questions you'll get in the HSC may be tricky and conceptual but if you can identify which rubric points are being addressed, you can plan and write your response accordingly. I've got a few practice questions derived from the syllabus for you to use as of current. Hope they help with revision!

Worlds of Upheaval Practice Questions

"The upheaval of our world and the upheaval of our consciousness are one and the same." (Carl Jung) To what extent does this statement align with your understanding of Worlds of Upheaval? Refer to two prescribed texts and two related texts of your own choosing.

"I believe the power of literature is stronger than the power of tyranny."
(Ma Jian) Assess how the form of your text has influenced constructions of literary worlds facing upheaval.  Refer to two prescribed texts and two related texts of your own choosing.

From change emerges upheaval. From upheaval emerges change. How does this statement reflect your understanding of the social, political and scientific developments represented in the literary worlds of your study?  Refer to two prescribed texts and two related texts of your own choosing.

"All good literature rests primarily on insight." (George Henry Lewes) How do two prescribed texts and two related texts of your own choosing provide insight into literary worlds experiencing social and political upheaval?

Tension is at the heart of upheaval. Literature seeks to resolve it. To what extent has conflict contributed to the worlds of upheaval in two of your prescribed texts and two related texts of your own choosing?

"A mind stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions." (Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.) To what extent has your study of Worlds of Upheaval provoked changes in thought, attitude and/or perspective? Refer to two prescribed texts and two related texts of your own choosing.

"It is a grand thing to rise in the world. The ambition to do so is the very salt of the earth. It is the parent of all enterprise and the cause of all improvement." (Anthony Trollope) To what extent have the actions of individuals and communities represented in worlds of upheaval activated change? Refer to two prescribed texts and two related texts of your own choosing.

I'll add some more as we go! Thanks for inspiring a potential new resource for me to work on  :D

Angelina  ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:24:47 pm by angewina_naguen »
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

AnatolyYeltsin

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 06:55:33 pm »
+1
1) Events are the seamstresses that thread our lives together.
To what extent do the texts that you have studied explore this idea in different ways?
IN your response, refer to TWO prescribed texts and at least ONE related text of your own choosing.

2) ‘Part of what confuses people in times of upheaval is that you’re getting so many different points of view and directions and so and so, how to do this and do that. And a lot of it is written in a language that honestly most people cannot understand ’ ALICE WALKER
Using your understanding of texts from a range of contexts compose an argument that expresses your point of view.
You may choose the form in which you write, for example a persuasive letter, a speech, an opinion article or a personal essay.
In your response, refer to TWO prescribed texts and at least ONE related text of your own choosing.

elania2171

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 07:46:58 pm »
Any questions for Literary Mindscapes... or even Literary Worlds...?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 08:02:03 pm »
+1
Any questions for Literary Mindscapes... or even Literary Worlds...?

Hey, elania2171!

You can have a look at the ones I wrote up for Mindscapes here! Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music