Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 04:38:53 am

Author Topic: "Nine rail lines to close for three weeks in major train disruption"  (Read 1902 times)  Share 

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
+3
Well this is going to make getting to work a trifle bit more difficult...

"Nine rail lines will be closed for more than three weeks in April affecting more than 1.5 million Melbourne commuters.

The lines will be closed from April 1 to 23, with buses replacing trains on the Cranbourne, Pakenham, Frankston, Sandringham, Glen Waverley, Mernda, Gippsland and Geelong/Warrnambool lines.

The lines will all close during the construction blitz for the South Yarra entrance to the Metro Tunnel."

More here. Thoughts? I wonder if those with a Myki Pass will be compensated.

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
Re: "Nine rail lines to close for three weeks in major train disruption"
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 11:09:47 am »
+3
;-;

As someone who uses the Cranbourne/Pakenham lines to get to uni - ripperinos.

Can't seem to find any info on the PTV website yet though? (You'd think we'd find this out from them first...)
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 11:11:02 am »
+5
Well this is going to make getting to work a trifle bit more difficult...

More here. Thoughts? I wonder if those with a Myki Pass will be compensated.

Why in God's name would the Geelong line be closed so they can build in South Yarra? It terminates at Southern Cross and only goes through the west.

General thoughts are that this is going to be absolute chaos, because of the amount of traffic that will be shifted onto the roads. So although they talk about 1.5 million train customers, everyone in the eastern suburbs will suffer because of the increased traffic on the roads. Amazing that they think they can actually find the bus stock to service replacement coaches along all of those lines too. Replacement buses are generally ok along short distances, but they'll be particularly challenging for the Geelong line, as they'll have to go up the Westgate. With significant increases in traffic along that freeway due to the rail closures, the journey from Geelong will likely double-triple.

In any case, I'm one of the lucky few who can get to uni by tram or train, so it will probably only see me have to stand instead of sit, which I can deal with. A pity for those with no other option though.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 11:16:58 am »
Why in God's name would the Geelong line be closed so they can build in South Yarra? It terminates at Southern Cross and only goes through the west.

My thoughts exactly. :(

VanillaRice

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +278
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 07:36:19 pm »
+1
Can't seem to find any info on the PTV website yet though? (You'd think we'd find this out from them first...)

Update: There's info elsewhere on the website (obviously, not under 'Disruptions')
https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/news-and-events/news/2019/02/20/autumn-construction-blitz/
VCE 2015-16
2017-20: BSc (Stats)/BBiomedSc [Monash]

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
"Nine rail lines to close for three weeks in major train disruption"
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 07:21:47 am »
I believe the Geelong line closure is due to an unrelated major upgrade that simply coincides with the metro upgrades. I think they’re removing some railway crossings.

They’re also upgrading the Ballarat line by adding another set of train tracks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 07:24:28 am by Lear »
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

InnocentKid

• Adventurer
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 07:40:38 pm »
I feel sorry for y'all

u got my sympathy and prayers

rip train lines  😂

#vicgoverment

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 07:57:11 pm »
Looks like the government won't create dedicated bus lanes for the buses during the closures, despite the fact that they have in the past. That'll definitely create a lot of pressure on the PT system and probably shift more people to less efficient transport (i.e. cars).

The lines are not all going to be closed together for the most part, so that will mitigate some of the effects of the closure. They're all reasonably short too, which again will mitigate the effect.
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

InnocentKid

• Adventurer
  • Respect: -1
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 08:04:49 pm »
Looks like the government won't create dedicated bus lanes for the buses during the closures, despite the fact that they have in the past. That'll definitely create a lot of pressure on the PT system and probably shift more people to less efficient transport (i.e. cars).

The lines are not all going to be closed together for the most part, so that will mitigate some of the effects of the closure. They're all reasonably short too, which again will mitigate the effect.

tbh as much disruption this may cause it is beneficial for the residents of those residing areas, once all the construction is finished. It is crucial to develop this country for many other generations other Australia will just be behind :-\.

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 09:18:50 am »
+1
Not directly related to OP, but it took me twice as long to get to work this morning as it usually would.

#itbegins