Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:23:49 pm

Author Topic: HSC Biology Question Thread  (Read 341415 times)  Share 

KT Nyunt

• MOTM: MAY 18
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
Re: HSC Biology Question Thread
« Reply #1305 on: February 11, 2019, 12:01:22 am »
Hi, I graduated last year but I've had a look at the new Biology syllabus and I'm a little confused: are there option topics anymore (like communication or genetics in the old syllabus) or does everyone have to do the same 4 modules?

Is this the same for other sciences like chemistry?
HSC 2018:
Biology | Chemistry | English Advanced | Math Ext. 1 | Math Ext. 2

Atar: 97.40
Chem - acidic environment
And more...

KT Nyunt

• MOTM: MAY 18
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #1306 on: February 11, 2019, 12:15:08 am »
+1
Hello everyone :)

My biology teacher has been getting us to learn a lot about the history of Mendel's experiments with his garden peas and the steps he took to obtain his results (F1- monohybrid cross produced offspring that took on the characteristics/phenotype of only one parent, F2 produced offspring in ratio 3:1 etc.) In terms of the new syllabus, how significant do you think the context of Mendel's experiments are to the syllabus content because I feel as though I am wasting time learning content that potentially may not be tested in the HSC exam for the new curriculum.

Do you guys have any opinions?

Thank you and have a good night :))  ;D

I think it's always safe to listen to your teacher seeing that they're marking you on your internal exams thus determining 50% of your HSC mark. Also understanding Mendel's work does help us understand the principles of dominant and recessive genes and how alleles are passed on to offspring which are the foundations of Module 5: Heredity. So in my opinion, it's worth learning it. But I'm also aware that the new syllabus is removing a lot of historical aspects. So understand his experiment and why he got particular results, but learning why his work wasn't immediately recognised as significant (which was in the old syllabus) may not be as critical in the new syllabus. Keep in mind, even if his name is not in the syllabus anymore, a question can still be asked about him in the HSC as his work is very relevant to the heredity module.

Hope this helps  :)
HSC 2018:
Biology | Chemistry | English Advanced | Math Ext. 1 | Math Ext. 2

Atar: 97.40
Chem - acidic environment
And more...

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #1307 on: February 18, 2019, 05:24:07 pm »
Hi guys,

I am just about to start writing up my biology depth study based on genetic diseases and technologies.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice/tips on how to write the best depth study eg. what to include where, how to start and end it, how to use diagrams and references within the essay, important things to include...??

Thanks!!

annabeljxde

• Forum Regular
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #1308 on: February 19, 2019, 09:38:41 pm »
I think it's always safe to listen to your teacher seeing that they're marking you on your internal exams thus determining 50% of your HSC mark. Also understanding Mendel's work does help us understand the principles of dominant and recessive genes and how alleles are passed on to offspring which are the foundations of Module 5: Heredity. So in my opinion, it's worth learning it. But I'm also aware that the new syllabus is removing a lot of historical aspects. So understand his experiment and why he got particular results, but learning why his work wasn't immediately recognised as significant (which was in the old syllabus) may not be as critical in the new syllabus. Keep in mind, even if his name is not in the syllabus anymore, a question can still be asked about him in the HSC as his work is very relevant to the heredity module.

Hope this helps  :)

Thank you so much!
HSC 2018: Studies of Religion 1
HSC 2019: English Advanced | Biology | Chemistry | Mathematics | Mathematics Ext.1

my hsc studygram: @orenji.study

annabeljxde

• Forum Regular
  • 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗹𝗮𝘇𝘆 𝗲𝗴𝗴
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #1309 on: February 19, 2019, 09:41:35 pm »
Hey guys!

Can anyone help me out with this question:

So I have to discuss the advantages and issues with cross-breeding humans.

So far I have:
- Advantages: may reduce the chance of inheriting a congenital disorder, hybrid vigour (healthier offspring)
- Issues: (i'm having trouble with this)

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you~
HSC 2018: Studies of Religion 1
HSC 2019: English Advanced | Biology | Chemistry | Mathematics | Mathematics Ext.1

my hsc studygram: @orenji.study

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #1310 on: March 09, 2019, 09:32:25 pm »
Hi,

I'm in year 11 doing the Preliminary Course and was just wondering what the best resources or advice there is out there/ suggestions. Anything is much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Coolmate  :D
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

Kombmail

• Forum Obsessive
  • When you realise Kpop exists... the world is good.
  • Respect: -4
« Reply #1311 on: April 23, 2019, 02:46:04 pm »
+1
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!
I needed to update notes on module 5 cuz i have basically one ( technically) and i really need ur help!
anyone willing to share module 5 notes please:)
-KgkG-

RichardEadie

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1312 on: April 24, 2019, 09:02:28 pm »
I attended the biology lecture at uts today.
I was wondering if someone can tell me where I can find the powerpoints from these lectures.
If someone can direct me then that would be awesome  ;D

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #1313 on: April 24, 2019, 09:24:20 pm »
+1
I was wondering if someone can tell me where I can find the powerpoints from these lectures.

Spoiler
Click on notes then type in Biology and search and they should come up at the start.

Edit: Maybe not. I just tried and I couldn't find the recent ones, maybe they're not up yet?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 09:27:50 pm by Owlbird83 »
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #1314 on: April 24, 2019, 09:36:43 pm »
+2
They'll be in the notes section as owlbird said, but they're generally not uploaded until the end of the lecture series. Assuming it's the same as for vic, you'll probably also get an email with the link and the link will be posted on ANs social media.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

KC181

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #1315 on: April 28, 2019, 10:01:48 pm »
+1
Hi guys,

This is a bit of a general question but I am currently finishing off my bio depth study, and am approx. 500 words over the word count...

Does anyone have advice on things I could do to cut it down (I have already removed almost all of the adjectives)? I'm a bit concerned that cutting down will mean losing content...

Thanks!!

Hi there! I know you posted this a while ago but just for future reference. My advice to decrease word count is using SST’s, in my school SST’s are Subject Specific Terminology. These are like fancy words used throughout a subject (e.g. for biology = polypeptide synthesis, RNA, meiosis, crossing over, Human Genome Bank etc).
My advice is to find and use words that sound scientific and sophisticated in bio, a lot of times these words encompass the entire concept/idea which will help to lower the word count.

E.G.
‘GM crops can possibly lead to humans only cultivating a single crop in a certain area’
                      Compare this to:
‘GM crops can possibly lead to monocultures’

In this case the SST I used was ‘monocultures’. Even though in the second sentence I’ve removed 10 words the idea I’m arguing is still the same, it’s just that I’ve used a fancier word that encompasses that entire idea of cultivating a single crop. Besides lessening the word count, SST’s also makes your responses sound more concise and sophisticated.

So I would say, go back over your response and think, is there any place where I’m explaining a concept or idea (especially since explaining can take up a couple of words). And then, is there a possible word I have or can find that conveys that exact same idea?

Hope this helps for the future!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 10:04:24 pm by KC181 »

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #1316 on: April 29, 2019, 06:47:12 pm »
Hi, I graduated last year but I've had a look at the new Biology syllabus and I'm a little confused: are there option topics anymore (like communication or genetics in the old syllabus) or does everyone have to do the same 4 modules?

Is this the same for other sciences like chemistry?

Sorry super late reply but no, there are no option topics for Bio anymore - everyone does the same four modules just schools can choose what order to study them in. As for Chemistry I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same deal.
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

jen10

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #1317 on: April 30, 2019, 05:33:34 pm »
Hello!
Can anyone provide some tips on writing an introduction and discussion for a depth study - what to include etc?
Thanks!

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #1318 on: May 01, 2019, 10:03:35 pm »
Hello!
Can anyone provide some tips on writing an introduction and discussion for a depth study - what to include etc?
Thanks!

Hey !! Here's what I'd include:

Introduction :
Depending on your topic of study this could be a variety of things. My year 11 and year 12 depth studies were super different but it could include things such as:
  • Info about your independent variable (e.g. UV light)
  • Applications of your depth study in real world contexts (e.g. food preservation)
  • Other studies on your topic area/ scientific journals on it/ previous experiments
  • Info on your controlled variables e.g. type of bacteria being tested on
  • What you intend to do in your experiment
  • Processes + explanations for them
  • Basically any info you want them to have going into the experiment - any assumed knowledge e.g. this organism is a bacteria which means that...

Discussion is a bit more clear cut. You should comment on:
  • Reliability
  • Validity
  • Accuracy
  • Explaining results
  • Problems/ challenges while conducting your experiment
  • Future directions/ future hypothesis

Hope this helps!

-Gracie
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D

InnererSchweinehund

• MOTM: JUNE 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +18
« Reply #1319 on: May 12, 2019, 08:02:07 pm »
Hi,

I'm in year 11 doing the Preliminary Course and was just wondering what the best resources or advice there is out there/ suggestions. Anything is much appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Coolmate  :D

Hi Coolmate!

This response is quite a while after you first posted your question, but I hope it can still help you.

Firstly, get on top of your notes + key concepts ASAP!! Biology is quite content heavy so if you can grasp the concepts and practice them from the very start until the very end, you will find it very useful. Make sure you ask your teacher to go over any concepts you don't understand, and pay attention to any feedback they give you on assignments/exams.

I found the ATAR Notes biology course notes super helpful, and if you can, try and attend some ATAR Notes biology lectures because they recap the previous topics, and prepare you for what's coming up - this definitely gives you an advantage over all your peers who haven't attended!! You should also look at the previous lecture slides and use them to your advantage when making study notes!!

Finally, find out what study techniques work for you. It's better to do this while you are in year 11, so you can set yourself up well for year 12.

Best of luck and have fun!! 
 :)