Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 05:39:26 am

Author Topic: Read textbook or not?  (Read 1986 times)  Share 

Wota

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Read textbook or not?
« on: July 11, 2018, 05:31:02 pm »
To those who scored well (above 45+) in psychology with the new study design, did you guys read the textbook (Jacaranda) throughly or just used summary books and notes? Because idk how much info that the textbook provides is actually relevant but am also worried that the notes such as A+ notes and Atarnotes do not contain enough content.

Thanks! 

howey

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +77
Re: Read textbook or not?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 05:39:48 pm »
+7
Hey Wota,,

I definitely read the textbook a fair bit during Year 12! However, there definitely is some surplus info in there so you also need to use the study design to try and reduce how much irrelevant stuff you try and learn (I was also lucky that I had a fantastic teacher who was able to direct me in this as well).

I can't speak for A+ notes, as I never used them, but I'm happy to vouch for the ATAR Notes ones, they should contain everything you need ;) I'd probably still read the textbook as well though, it always helps to read things written in more than one way!

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" - Babe Ruth

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 07:03:09 pm »
+5
I read the textbook & used this to guide ny notes but I used the study design to guide my reading as there is a LOT of uneeded info in there, especially for unit 4

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:31:54 pm »
+3
To those who scored well (above 45+) in psychology with the new study design, did you guys read the textbook (Jacaranda) throughly or just used summary books and notes? Because idk how much info that the textbook provides is actually relevant but am also worried that the notes such as A+ notes and Atarnotes do not contain enough content.

Thanks!
hey Wota,
Just to jump in here, study notes and summaries are typically for use in conjunction with the textbook and teacher advice you’re given, meaning it would be unwise to solely rely on notes even if they relate to the study design.
I use A+ notes as well as ATAR Notes ones for a couple subjects, and I can actually vouch for both of them. A+ tend to try and crowd a lot of info/examples into a compact space, but altogether they and ATAR Notes ones are very similar. Both relate directly to the Study Design or what the authors believe relevant.
My personal favourite is ATAR Notes though, would definitely recommend. ;)
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

Wota

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 09:53:45 pm »
Thanks guys. So how do I know what info from the textbook is revelavant and irrelevant? Is it possible for you to pass on some of the pages or areas that you skipped from the textbook because it’s not relevant? Because the study design is kinda broad so it just feels like every detail from the textbook is important, idk.

Cheers

peter.g15

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +29
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2018, 10:23:43 pm »
Thanks guys. So how do I know what info from the textbook is revelavant and irrelevant? Is it possible for you to pass on some of the pages or areas that you skipped from the textbook because it’s not relevant? Because the study design is kinda broad so it just feels like every detail from the textbook is important, idk.

Cheers

Hi! I personally didn't really use the textbook as my primary resource during the year - mostly because my teacher's powerpoints were pretty in depth and well done. Having said that though, the textbook can be really good to brush up on a 'bigger picture' of concepts and can help to link things together since it is written as paragraphs rather than dotpoints (for me at least).

Normally the important/required information is the normal body paragraphs, and then the extra stuff is located within boxes (Jacaranda). However, the best way to check is by comparing it with the VCAA study design and your teachers since they will be the ones marking the SACs and should have a pretty solid idea of what VCAA wants from you :) Hope that all helped
2019 - 23: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash University

Wota

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2018, 10:58:33 pm »
Thank you!