Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 04:16:26 pm

Author Topic: School Didn't Let Me Do Methods - How Can I Get Into Bsc?  (Read 1792 times)  Share 

kath_b

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
School Didn't Let Me Do Methods - How Can I Get Into Bsc?
« on: January 08, 2020, 01:56:36 pm »
Hi,

I'm asking this on behalf of my friend since he doesn't have an account here yet. So basically his year 10 teacher was super annoying and didn't recommend 90% of his year 10 pre-methods (middle stream maths at his school) to do Methods 1/2.

He had a General 1/2 class during orientation week in early December and it was boringly easy for him, yet the school said it was too late to transfer into Methods 1/2 (despite it being during the middle of orientation week). He wanted to do the Bachelor of Science at Melbourne but now he can't without a bridging course. Melbourne says these are all of the options:

* Take the Calculus and Probability Online course, which is the equivalent of VCE Mathematical Methods 3/4. This subject will cover similar material to the VCE subject and will give you a firm foundation for tertiary maths study.
* Take the Senior Mathematics course via UniLearn.
* Take the subject MAST10012 Introduction to Mathematics through the Community Access Program (CAP), which lets you take single subjects.
Commence a Bachelor of Arts and complete the subject MAST10012: Introduction to Mathematics and then apply to transfer to the Bachelor of Science. Transfer is subject to academic grades.
* Commence a Bachelor of Science at another university and complete a subject that’s equivalent to MAST0012: Introduction to Mathematics, then apply to transfer. When you apply to transfer, we’ll take into account all of your academic study
* Do an adult VCE program.

What would be the best option and is there a way he could do the CAP during year 11 or 12 before applying for Melbourne / while doing his VCE studies?
Is there anything he can do in regards to the school not letting him transfer subjects?

Thanks

KatherineGale

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +92
Re: School Didn't Let Me Do Methods - How Can I Get Into Bsc?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 02:13:34 pm »
Hi kath_b,

I don't know about any of the other things, so hopefully someone else on here can help, but if he hasn't started year 11 or 12, it might be worth looking into Virtual School Victoria. If he is dedicated and finds maths reasonable, he could pick up maths methods online and do his other studies with his current school still.

Hope this helps :)

kath_b

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 02:15:24 pm »
Thanks, I'll tell him to look into that

jazzie1999

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 01:11:06 pm »
+1
I did Calculus and Probability Online. Not a super hard course but does require some study. Can do it during year 12, just after year 12 exams (so can still enter semester 1) or after year 12 and apply for bsc later (which is what I did) I think you could do it in year 11 but I would double check this with the uni.  Definitely recommend this course, worked super well for me.