Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 01:23:38 pm

Author Topic: essay writing  (Read 1381 times)

feeah

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
essay writing
« on: June 25, 2016, 01:05:57 pm »
+1
hi guys, i know this is something we should be taught in previous years but i'm struggling with writing english essays- my last one only got 10/15. does anyone have any tips on structure or how to practice or how in depth each analysis should be (that's where i've been losing marks) or anything?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: essay writing
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 02:01:39 pm »
hi guys, i know this is something we should be taught in previous years but i'm struggling with writing english essays- my last one only got 10/15. does anyone have any tips on structure or how to practice or how in depth each analysis should be (that's where i've been losing marks) or anything?

Hey feeah! I definitely don't blame you, they don't really teach essay writing properly a lot of the time, they just assume you can do it, This sucks, because writing an essay is really tricky.

I'll start by linking you to this article I wrote on how to write a HSC essay for any subject. It goes through a lot of structural ideas that might help you!  ;D

In terms of practice, the best thing you can do is write lots of essays under exam conditions! Grab past Trial papers, half yearlies, HSC exams, whatever, and just write and see how you go! This is vital for building handwriting speed and practicing getting your ideas on paper quickly. Getting feedback on them is super important: You can even use our forums to get feedback! For an Area of Study essay, for example, you can post it here and get feedback for FREE! Just read the rules quickly before you do  ;D

For analysis, you want to (for every quote) go to TEA:

Technique: Identify the technique(s) the composer used in that quote
Explain: Explain WHY the composer chose to use that technique. What concept do they try to convey? What part of their context caused them to make the choice? Etc.
Audience Impact: What does the use of this technique give to the audience? What additional understanding do we gain about whatever concept you are discussing.

This should all take no more than two sentences, but should still be quite in depth. For example:

The composer's use of alliteration in the repetition of the phrase, "Damn Daniel," accentuates the contextual concerns of consumerism, as the audience comes to empathise with the protagonist through this clever use of motif.

Notice that I do the technique, why it was chosen, and the impact on the audience (obviously I did this for a viral video and so it is really completely stupid and incorrect, but you get the idea).

I hope this helps as a start. Be sure to practice lots and ask lots of questions and you will definitely improve! As long as you put in the effort  ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
Re: essay writing
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 04:46:08 pm »
+1

Jamon's response is spot on - but I will add the idea of the essay question. Sometimes an essay can be absolutely perfect in terms of analysis, but it really lacks in answering the question. Make sure that every single sentence, or pair of sentences, relates back to the essay question as a direct attack. By 'direct attack' I mean not just a rephrasing of the question, but a confidence to take on the question and potentially even disagree, or add, to the concept there.

Making a conscious effort to do this is sometimes tedious when you're writing, but it seriously gives an essay soooo much direction and a sense of confidence. :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!