Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:41:37 pm

Author Topic: How to Write a Module C Essay  (Read 54647 times)

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
  • School: NGS
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: How to Write a Module C Essay
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2016, 04:47:00 pm »
for people and politics, how could i respond to the section of the rubric where it says , 'they consider they ways in which texts represent the shared, individual, or competing political ideas, events or situations'. i don't think i fully understand the idea about the shared individual or competing perspectives.
Thanks!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2016, 07:14:20 pm »
for people and politics, how could i respond to the section of the rubric where it says , 'they consider they ways in which texts represent the shared, individual, or competing political ideas, events or situations'. i don't think i fully understand the idea about the shared individual or competing perspectives.
Thanks!

Great question! It's talking about how there is often discourse in political beliefs - not everyone shares the same beliefs. There could be individuals who have shared or competing perspectives, or there could be entire towns, countries or continents that have shared or competing political perspectives. It's not asking you to talk about all of the above, but it's directing you towards considering how any of the above is represented in your own texts :) Does that make sense? :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Sssssrr

• Forum Regular
  • School: NGS
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2016, 07:35:22 pm »
Great question! It's talking about how there is often discourse in political beliefs - not everyone shares the same beliefs. There could be individuals who have shared or competing perspectives, or there could be entire towns, countries or continents that have shared or competing political perspectives. It's not asking you to talk about all of the above, but it's directing you towards considering how any of the above is represented in your own texts :) Does that make sense? :)

yeah that makes complete sense, thanks! so do you think i should incorporate that aspect of the rubric into my main thesis ?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2016, 07:47:23 pm »
yeah that makes complete sense, thanks! so do you think i should incorporate that aspect of the rubric into my main thesis ?

I mean, you don't have to, but it is a good option. They could actually ask it of you in the exam anyway, so you'd be embedding it anyway. if it isn't your main thesis, it'll work nicely as a mini concept statement that directs a paragraph - only if you find that it is relevant to your texts! :)

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2016, 08:21:45 pm »
For a mod C essay, is four body paragraphs exploring two main ideas okay? Following a structure like this:

Intro
P1: Idea 1 in set text
P2: Idea 1 in ORT
P3: Idea 2 in set text
P4: Idea 2 in ORT
Conclusion

Thank you! :)
HSC 2016: Adv. English [83] Adv. Maths [89] Physics [80] Chemistry [85] Ancient History [94]
ATAR - 92.70

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2016, 11:36:42 pm »
For a mod C essay, is four body paragraphs exploring two main ideas okay? Following a structure like this:

Intro
P1: Idea 1 in set text
P2: Idea 1 in ORT
P3: Idea 2 in set text
P4: Idea 2 in ORT
Conclusion

Thank you! :)

Hey Beth! This definitely works and is done commonly, the block-style response is probably what more people do. Your paragraphs can be a little shorter as a result, definitely a-okay! :)

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2016, 09:27:20 am »
Okay thank you! If it asks for two related texts, would it be most logical to do each of P2 and P4 on a different rt?
HSC 2016: Adv. English [83] Adv. Maths [89] Physics [80] Chemistry [85] Ancient History [94]
ATAR - 92.70

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2016, 09:37:28 am »
Okay thank you! If it asks for two related texts, would it be most logical to do each of P2 and P4 on a different rt?

If it did - then I'd say yes. Or, you could just deal with the two related texts concurrently in P2 and P4 - but I definitely think this has potential to limit your depth of analysis. If they asked for two related texts (which would be ghastly) then I think you're on the money with putting them in different paragraphs :)

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2016, 11:25:24 am »
Awesome thank you! Haha, yes, I am desperately hoping they don't throw that at us.
ATAR - 92.70

ailsa

• Fresh Poster
  • perpetually tired
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2016, 02:18:12 pm »
Hi! Does anyone have any knowledge on the elective 'Representing people and landscapes'? I haven't managed to find anything on here about it yet. I feel we didn't quite learn the module and our prescribed text as wholistically as we should have in class, so I was hoping someone may have some tips for what to include in an essay for this, as well as any pointers for Alain de Botton's 'The Art of Travel' - is anyone else struggling with this text?
Adv Eng, Maths Gen, Vis Arts, Society, Legal, Modern

bethjomay

• Trendsetter
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2016, 02:38:09 pm »
+1
Hi! Does anyone have any knowledge on the elective 'Representing people and landscapes'? I haven't managed to find anything on here about it yet. I feel we didn't quite learn the module and our prescribed text as wholistically as we should have in class, so I was hoping someone may have some tips for what to include in an essay for this, as well as any pointers for Alain de Botton's 'The Art of Travel' - is anyone else struggling with this text?

Hey there! I'm doing this module as well! I think for this book it can be helpful to break it down into chapters and what techniques/ideas are used in each as he deals with such a range of philosophical ideas. As a starting point I made notes outlining each chapter in terms of: a quick summary, a list 3 or 4 ideas conveyed about people and landscapes conveyed in that chapter (e.g. "Our experience of landscapes is intrinsically linked to personal context"), and then quotes/techniques used to show this! From there you can pick and choose ideas that work well with your ORT and turn them into essay points. In the list of ideas for each chapter don't worry about having the same idea in multiple chapters - that actually gives you a great range of evidence to back your idea up! Hope that's helpful! :)

This is a good link for a starting point as well: http://dc.edu.au/the-art-of-travel-detailed-summary/
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 02:40:19 pm by bethjomay »
ATAR - 92.70

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2016, 04:12:30 pm »

Beth has given you great insight above ^ But, if you are looking for a People and Landscapes essay, I have my own one from 2015 in the "notes" tab - if you search Module C you should be able to find it. It might give you some ideas for formatting!

marynguyen18

• Trendsetter
  • School: Cerdon College
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2016, 05:35:54 pm »
in mod C do we provide context for our text and ORT?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2016, 05:41:25 pm »
in mod C do we provide context for our text and ORT?

Hey Mary! Context can help you develop an understanding of the purpose behind the representations in Module C, but it isn't a primary concern like it is in Module A :) but ultimately, representations are presented to contextual audiences, so you definitely can! :)

Emerald99

« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2016, 10:29:56 pm »
can you use a prescribed text from another module as your related text for module c?