Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:35:39 am

Author Topic: Writing an English Advanced Module A Essay  (Read 71566 times)

znaser

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Malek Fahd Islamic School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Writing an English Advanced Module A Essay
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 11:40:14 am »
Hi Jamon. I just read your module A essay and I noticed how you emphasised that your thesis has no reference to texts to establish that the essay is conceptually based. I'm just wondering why that's the case if the module addresses texts directly and how they are a product of their time? Thank you :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2016, 01:19:52 pm »
Hi Jamon. I just read your module A essay and I noticed how you emphasised that your thesis has no reference to texts to establish that the essay is conceptually based. I'm just wondering why that's the case if the module addresses texts directly and how they are a product of their time? Thank you :)

Hey there! Module A: Texts in Time was my module and elective as well (as you've gathered), and I agree that it seems a little strange to be approaching it so conceptually.

I'll start by saying a conceptual approach isn't the only approach, for any of the Modules. The only time when conceptual is really your only choice is in the Area of Study. That said, approaching the modules conceptually can be extremely powerful, and in my view is the best way to do it.

In this case, the module refers to (two paragraphs from the syllabus):

This module requires students to compare texts in order to explore them in relation to their contexts. It develops students’ understanding of the effects of context and questions of value.

Students examine ways in which social, cultural and historical context influences aspects of texts, or the ways in which changes in context lead to changed values being reflected in texts. This includes study and use of the language of texts, consideration of purposes and audiences, and analysis of the content, values and attitudes conveyed through a range of readings.

Yes, the module requires an examination of how texts are impacted by their context. However, that impact takes the form of conceptual differences, a juxtaposition of how values are presented by each composer is required.

The concepts are WHY we are comparing the texts in the first place.

For this reason, it is sensible to make those concepts the focus of the essay. The concept is the catalyst for the comparison, it is why we are bothering to write the essay at all, and so it (in my opinion) makes sense to make it the focus of the essay. This conceptual approach has a heap of extra benefits too, like:

- Helps you avoid slipping into textual retell, which is easy to do with a text focused response
- Ensures you are comparing the texts, because the focus is never on one exclusively
- Easier for integrated responses
- Audience links are easier to present in many cases

Hope this helps ;D

znaser

• Trailblazer
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2016, 01:45:02 pm »
Thank you that helped a lot! I just have one more question though. Several past questions go something like 'In considering parallels between ... a deeper understanding of the composer’s values emerges.' Is this because in comparing two texts, we see similar core values explored in a new light or from another perspective and thus, the responder receives a more deeper and 'whole' understanding?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2016, 03:09:44 pm »
Thank you that helped a lot! I just have one more question though. Several past questions go something like 'In considering parallels between ... a deeper understanding of the composer’s values emerges.' Is this because in comparing two texts, we see similar core values explored in a new light or from another perspective and thus, the responder receives a more deeper and 'whole' understanding?

Spot on! Thesis quality material right there, that's exactly right. It's kind of like hearing the same concept explained by two different teachers. You'll learn more from both of them together than you would individually, because the way they explore it will be slightly different, and will reveal new things about the others content, or make something that the other teacher said more clear ;D in the same way, looking at how two composers explore the same issues will ultimately give us a more wholistic understanding of said issue! ;D

znaser

• Trailblazer
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2016, 03:59:54 pm »
+1
Legend  ;D Thanks a lot!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2016, 04:00:40 pm »

This is my perspective, which supports Jamon's in a lot of ways. I'm kind of putting this in order from "most conceptual to least conceptual" in terms of a thesis statement.

AOS - You don't have a choice, the best essays are conceptual because this is a study on discovery, not a study on texts. They support the discovery, not drive it.
Module C - Here you are talking about the representation of the relationship between people and landscapes, or people and politics. In my opinion, a leading statement about the relationship between people and landscapes/politics, subsequently followed by a statement about the author's representation, works best. There are variations of this, but this particularly worked for me.
Module A - As you and Jamon have discussed. I agree with Jamon here - conceptual approach to Module A seems to be best. My thesis statement was as much as talking about how contemporary viewers may think Shakespeare is locked away in an inaccessible realm - WRONG. Then I introduce how context impacts a text and its reception.
Module B - This was my most oeuvre-direct thesis statement. The reason being, you are literally talking about a perspective and response to texts. You add themes to discuss (or the question directs them) as opposed to the module identifying them.

As Jamon said, there are so many ways to do each of these. The above is kind of my "most concept directed to least" list haha :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2016, 04:08:03 pm »
Legend  ;D Thanks a lot!

No worries! As Elyse hints at, my approach is just one of many. My writing style is definitely extremely conceptual, but it seemed to serve me pretty well :)

znaser

• Trailblazer
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2016, 04:17:35 pm »
+1
Thanks guys! You really helped put a lot of things into perspective  ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2016, 05:08:57 pm »
+1
Thanks guys! You really helped put a lot of things into perspective  ;D

If you're ever unsure of how to approach an argument, post your thesis statement here and identify the module, and we can give opinions :)

znaser

• Trailblazer
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2016, 02:25:10 pm »
Thanks Elise! Well this is my intro. It's a bit long though but do u reckon I'm on the right track?

Society’s cyclical struggle against threats to its humanity entails interchangeable perspectives toward perennial human values, remodelled over time in response to prevailing contextual affairs. This impels composers to catastrophise looming socio-political matters to dissent archetypal values of their epochs and in essence, politicise their contemporaries. Fritz Lang’s film Metropolis (1927) and George Orwell’s novel Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949) epitomise this through their depiction of dystopian societies extrapolated from totalitarian regimes that hegemonised post world war one and two populaces respectively. In explicating the parallels between both texts, and ultimately evolution of the composers’ faiths in humanity’s future, universal responders are confronted with their human frailty in alternative lights. This necessitates a more wholistic interpretation of Lang and Orwell’s respective perspectives where the correlations between their contexts and values become more apparent.

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2016, 09:46:39 pm »
Thanks Elise! Well this is my intro. It's a bit long though but do u reckon I'm on the right track?

Society’s cyclical struggle against threats to its humanity entails interchangeable interchangeable is the only word that I'm not 100% sold on. I love your use of "perennial" as opposed to talking about the human condition. But right now, interchangeable seems to just not be doing it for me? perspectives toward perennial human values, remodelled over time in response to prevailing I think this word is unnecessary - there are a lot of words in this sentence, so taking any unnecessary ones out is important. contextual affairs. Excellent thesis statement! Seriously good. You've taken a really good spin on what is essentially saying "society changes, human values remain." You've taken it a step above which is really cool, and you've perfectly managed to detail the module in a sentence!This impels composers to catastrophise looming socio-political matters to dissent archetypal values of their epochs and in essence, politicise their contemporaries. Fritz Lang’s film Metropolis (1927) and George Orwell’s novel Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949) epitomise this through their depiction of dystopian societies extrapolated from totalitarian regimes that hegemonised post world war one and two populaces respectively. In explicating the parallels between both texts, and ultimately evolution of the composers’ faiths in humanity’s future, universal responders are confronted with their perhaps, "confronted by the alarming human frailty." I think that "their human frailty" assumes that they will in fact feel that humans are frail at the end, whereas I tend to think that it isn't the only (or prevailing) response a responder might have. So the "their" brings the reader into it a little too much, it assumes too much of them. human frailty in alternative lights. This necessitates a more wholistic interpretation of Lang and Orwell’s respective perspectives where the correlations between their contexts and values become more apparent.

Awesome! You've done exactly as Jamon and I have suggested above, and with some style as well! I think this will really work for you! There are a lot of words in your introductory sentence, which works here because your idea is clear. But, if you did want to add anything to that original sentence, I suggest you split it in half to make sure that the ideas don't blend into each other too much. But right now, it works a charm! :)

znaser

• Trailblazer
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2016, 03:58:03 pm »
+1
Thanks Elise!  ;D

jonkhalil99

• Adventurer
  • School: Moorebank High School
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2016, 09:51:23 pm »
Hey guys I am so out of whack atm and not sure if this intro works for this module or even has a strong thesis?!?! I read the whole forum all about the conceptual approach, can someone please show me how I can make mine more conceptual?!?!

An exploration of intertextual connections between a pair of texts offers new insights and in turn, enhances our understanding of values, purpose and contexts. A comparative study of Shakespeare’s historical play-text, ‘Richard III’ (1592) and Al Pacino’s docudrama, ‘Looking for Richard’ (1996) undoubtedly illuminate the values of the rightful use of power, and of truth and integrity. The implicit and explicit relationships between the texts powerfully convey that as ways of thinking are regularly modified, the milieu of the contemporary text will inevitably shape and reshape the meaning of the older text we interpret, adapt and transform. The sustenance of content and common preoccupations in Pacino’s docudrama fundamentally displays that the values reflected in Shakespeare’s play-text remain relevant to a post modern society, although the texts were produced centuries apart, Pacino’s experimentation with form is essentially what makes the text accessible and relatable to a modern audience. Both playwright and director effectively employ acts of representations such as, figuration, rhetorical devices and cinematography, in order to … (elements of question).

Also, how do we write topic sentences for this module? HAHA

Thanks heaps  :) :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 10:11:02 pm by jonkhalil99 »

Emerald99

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2016, 08:54:13 pm »
For an integrated essay is it okay to just do 2  body paragraphs?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2016, 09:19:31 pm »
Hey guys I am so out of whack atm and not sure if this intro works for this module or even has a strong thesis?!?! I read the whole forum all about the conceptual approach, can someone please show me how I can make mine more conceptual?!?!

Also, how do we write topic sentences for this module? HAHA

Thanks heaps  :) :)

Hey! Some quick feedback:

Spoiler
An exploration of intertextual connections between a pair of texts offers new insights and in turn, enhances our understanding of values, purpose and contexts. Good links to the Module! A comparative study of Shakespeare’s historical play-text, ‘Richard III’ (1592) and Al Pacino’s docudrama, ‘Looking for Richard’ (1996) undoubtedly illuminate the values of the rightful use of power, and of truth and integrity. I'd like some more detail HERE, on these concepts, perhaps start with something that ties these together, then say that a comparative study enhances our understanding of THESE things? The implicit and explicit relationships between the texts powerfully convey that as ways of thinking are regularly modified, the milieu of the contemporary text will inevitably shape and reshape the meaning of the older text we interpret, adapt and transform. Beautiful. The sustenance of content and common preoccupations in Pacino’s docudrama fundamentally displays that the values reflected in Shakespeare’s play-text remain relevant to a post modern society, although the texts were produced centuries apart, Pacino’s experimentation with form is essentially what makes the text accessible and relatable to a modern audience. Fabulous.Both playwright and director effectively employ acts of representations such as, figuration, rhetorical devices and cinematography, in order to … (elements of question).

Without seeing the question, I'd read this and go, "Yeah, this person is probably going to get a Band 6 range mark for this essay." You clearly understand the module really well! ;D I'd only say to add some detail to the START that relates to the ideas of power, truth and integrity; perhaps link them all together somehow and make your first sentence focusing on this?

To see what I mean (and for your topic sentences question), check out my Module A exemplar, you can download it here :) it might give you some ideas!!