Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:08:37 pm

Author Topic: technodisney's journey into Live Theatre  (Read 7580 times)

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 03:59:39 pm »
+1
The Chase, y'reckon? Will be keen to hear what the interview is like. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2019, 09:33:11 pm »
+2
The Chase, y'reckon? Will be keen to hear what the interview is like. :)

Didn’t go well...
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 09:58:35 am »
Didn’t go well...

That sucks. What happened?

technodisney

• Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 09:36:24 am »
+9
That sucks. What happened?

I ended up stumbling and stuttering so much and answered questions wrong by accident even though I knew the answers.
The pressure is real.

Meanwhile back at Uni.........

I completely forgot to update this last week. So I guess I will update you on the past two weeks of classes. It has all been going pretty well and I am really enjoying everything besides OHS and Comms. We are really getting into the hands on aspects of it all and every class we are now doing something practical.

Everyone in my class simply gets along and respects everyone else. We have a group chat with heaps of fun banter and I am now feeling quite comfortable in the classroom.
My Grandpa is finally going to be out of Hospital sometime this week!!!! 6 Months and he will finally be back home!! Not as healthy as he was as he has almost no small bowel. But he is not going to rely on hospital support to keep plodding along. Although I am incredibly happy he gets to go home that also means that I will need to find something else to do too in my breaks. My class has been hanging out together as a big group and I think I am going to join them. If not I'll probably fall asleep in a park somewhere in my breaks.

OHS
Didn't have a class last week because public holiday. YAY!!
But that doesn't make it anymore fun. We are 3/4 through the content and I can't wait for the time when this class is no longer scheduled.

Comms
Today we are going to start working on our group presentation. Which i AM NOT looking forward too as I hate working in groups. I will see how I go but I feel like I will enjoy researching a topic but I will not be a good contributor to the group and actively participating as a group member. I am going to end up just agreeing with what everyone else in the group says and being too scared to contribute anything of my own. I will see how I go and I may end up pushing myself. But it doesn't seem likely at this point.

Vision
I seem to be understanding AND enjoying this content really well. It is probably my favourite class at this point. For this class we split into two groups so we have classes of around 10 which makes it much easier to learn the content and actually get a go with the equipment. Alot of the stuff is stuff I already know but I am learning all these technical elements of it which keeps surprising me, I am learning how the stuff I have always used actually work and all these little bits of information from my hours of youtube watching are coming together to form a bigger picture of everything.

Audio
We are meant to be reading a book for this class about Audio Engineering, we have been supplied with an ebook version but because I haven't been motivated to read it I borrowed the copy in the library and have it sitting in my bedroom taunting me so I would actually be motivated to read the physical copy of it.
Classes are kind of interesting in regard to the content but the problem is there are 20 of us all huddled around a sound desk and it is a bit tricky to learn with that many people around. It also means the classes aren't as engaging as only one person can be behind the audio desk at a time.
It is also very cahotic when 20 of us set up and pack down the PA system every class.

Repair and Maintain
I have finished my 4 soldering tasks. I now feel very confident in soldering both mic leads and guitar leads. And it has been quite challenging yet enjoyable going through the 4 soldering tasks. Because I just sat there and foccused on it and wasn't being social with others around me I have done these 4 tasks in 3 lessons. So next week I get Thursday off. YAY!!
We have some broken cables at home that I want to practice fixing, it's good just focussing on it and completing the challenge.

Lighting
This class has also been fun the past two weeks. On Friday we got some hands on experience with a simple analogue desk and played around with mixing different colours. Most the class we were sitting around and watching others create colours but the teacher was very good at explaining how to make different environments with different colours and it was very interesting.
It feels powerful to be sitting at a desk and have control over the sliders which will completely change the mood and atmosphere of the room.

In other news I have decided that a need a new hobby that is tangible and is not LEGO or Puzzles as they both get money and get quite pricey.
So I have decided, thanks to a comment Nina made last year about how I should give drawing a go that has been dwelling in my mind, that I am going to see if I can try out drawing things, my goal is to be able to draw something and not have it look crap. It will give me a tangible hobby to do, that doesn't cost anything and is also something tangible, and not something computer based like coding.
Any tips on getting started with drawing will be greatly appreciated. I just want something to do for when I am feeling overwhelmed with life so I have something to distract me that is also kinda productive as I will be developing a skill.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 09:38:31 am by technodisney »

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 06:46:31 pm »
+3
Quote from: technodisney
I am really enjoying everything besides OHS and Comms
I don't think anybody gets excited at the thought of OHS theory. The amount of times i've been trained/refreshed in it.... blah.

It's great to hear you're enjoying your course. Hopefully all works out and you get to experience some big events (perhaps events is not the best word.. I cannot think of it at the moment) to work in.

Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

technodisney

• Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 10:14:52 am »
+1
I don't think anybody gets excited at the thought of OHS theory. The amount of times i've been trained/refreshed in it.... blah.

It's great to hear you're enjoying your course. Hopefully all works out and you get to experience some big events (perhaps events is not the best word.. I cannot think of it at the moment) to work in.

I would call it events.
I mean I am going to have to start with experience at event type scenarios before I can get into theatre.

technodisney

• Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2019, 08:28:53 pm »
+12
YEET.

YAY ASSSINGMENTS AND WORK. 🤕🔫

This week at Uni has been fairly meh.
Outside of Uni I caught up with a friend whom I haven't seen for a while and that was a fun time.

I DID GET A JOB OFFER THOUGH!!!! That was exciting. I am going to be teaching the older people in the community to use smartphones, tablets etc...
The only problem is I can't attend my first shift due to a Uni assingment. I hope that will be ok. I have told the person who sent me the job offer this and I haven't heard back yet. :/ So it may go to someone else because of that. Especially because it is just a 6 week casual job.

Anyway, my classes:

OHS
Still boring as heck but we are approaching the end and that day when we finish that boring booklet I am going to celebrate and have a PARTAY.

Comms
I am in a group with the 2 oldest people in the class. One of which is very bossy and set in her ways. ::)
We need to prepare a group presentation that is due in 2 weeks. The good thing is that as soon as this assingment is done. NO MORE COMMS CLASS AND I GET MONDAY FREE!!!!!!!!!

Vision
Just that second I remembered I need to complete a quick online assessment. brb, it's nearly due  and I don't wanna miss the deadline. And I am back 2 hours later, that assessment only took me like 5 minutes and was a super simple quiz but then I had Dinner and got meself ready for tomorrow.
But vision has been going well, every class we set up the system and talk about how all of the elements link together and how to operate the switchers.
We have a practical assessment next week and this week I don't have this class.

Audio
Class was eh this week. Once again we just set up the analogue system and then all just sat around listening to how all of the different effects and equalisers plug into the system and looked at the signal flow through the desk.

Repair and Maintain
I didn't have this class last week. YAY!
The saddest part is that we are done with the soldering. :( It's not going to be as practical now.

Lighting
I expected this class to be more exciting then it actually was. We looked at how this room is all patched up with both DMX and power. I loved it but then all of a sudden she had explained how it all works. And it ended up being a million times easier than I expected it too be. Then we looked at adjusting the zoom and focus on lights, I was a bit of an idiot and sat there without getting my hands dirty. I was too nervous to speak up that I hadn't actually done anything yet.

Goals
From this week forward going to give myself goals every week.
Next week I will give an overview of how I went with each of them and set some goals for the following week. I am doing this because if I don't write them down here I will never have the motivation to get it all done in a timely manner and I will stress myself out.
My goals for next week:
- Read the small Audio Engineering Handbook
- Organise all my due dates and important dates in some form of timetable/organised way
- Complete planning for Vision assesment
- Have at least 75% of my Comms presentation complete
- Make sure I participate and get my hands dirty
- Not spend more than $30 on food this week. (I have been averaging more than $50 and I really need to properly budget so I am saving some money)
- Complete the next section of my Informatics SAT Guide

Long term goals:
- Don't leave anything to the last minute
- Get more sleep
- Joyfully spend more time with my family on my own accord

technodisney out!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 08:30:48 pm by technodisney »

CalebG

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2019, 02:54:32 pm »
+6
Interesting to see the Cert side of Live Theatre, I am heavily involved with the Audio Visual production side of my high school, in fact, we finished up a largeish scale one night Music Festival just last week and will be starting pre-production on a Musical next term! Too bad it won't help contribute to my study scores this year but I enjoy it nevertheless.

I particularly enjoy the audio side and I can't stress enough how important EQ and effects are for live sound, I suggest looking up some videos on sound theory to supplement your class work if you want to dive a bit deeper.

Keep the updates coming! Would love to hear more.

technodisney

• Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2019, 09:21:18 pm »
+7
Not doing a full entry this week.
I might do one mid week but if not I will do a full one by next Monday.

But I am going to keep myself accountable with the goals.

Goals
Last weeks goals:
- Read the small Audio Engineering Handbook
- Organise all my due dates and important dates in some form of timetable/organised way
- Complete planning for Vision assesment
- Have at least 75% of my Comms presentation complete (got around 25% done, F)
- Make sure I participate and get my hands dirty (Did when I could but I got barely any opportunity)
- Not spend more than $30 on food this week. (I have been averaging more than $50 and I really need to properly budget so I am saving some money) (spent extra money on useless junk though whoops)
- Complete the next section of my Informatics SAT Guide
Score 3/7 43%

Goals for next week:
- Read the small Audio Engineering Handbook (Week 2)
- Organise all my due dates and important dates in some form of timetable/organised way(Week 2)
- $30 max budget for anything
- Finish my Comms assignment, working as a team member
- Complete the next section of my Informatics SAT Guide (Week 2)
- Complete my online Lighting Assesment

Ongoing goals:
- Make sure I participate and get my hands dirty (1/1)

Long term goals:
- Get more sleep
- Get Fit

technodisney

• Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 10:28:58 pm »
+7
Interesting to see the Cert side of Live Theatre, I am heavily involved with the Audio Visual production side of my high school, in fact, we finished up a largeish scale one night Music Festival just last week and will be starting pre-production on a Musical next term! Too bad it won't help contribute to my study scores this year but I enjoy it nevertheless.

I particularly enjoy the audio side and I can't stress enough how important EQ and effects are for live sound, I suggest looking up some videos on sound theory to supplement your class work if you want to dive a bit deeper.

Keep the updates coming! Would love to hear more.

Sorry I didn't get back to you last week.

But I will definitely check out videos on the you tubes to do with live sound production. The way we are being taught is very dry and there is stuff that I should be interested in but I simply can't due to the way that the class is done.

OHS
DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am getting my white card in the mail in a few weeks and I have now passed the THREE units bundled in this class.

Comms
Group presentation on Monday that I still have a bunch of work to do beforehand, it looks like it is going to be a busy weekend for me. But then after the presentation is done on Monday I am DONE! with this class as well.

Vision
YEET, assessment went well. We probably could have been more prepared but we did it in an adequate amount of time and it's not graded so I got an S and I am happy.

Audio
Eh........ It honestly couldn't be taught in a less engaging way, in the vision, light and repair classes we have been doing a week of theory then 2-3 weeks of pracs based on the theory we have gone over. But in sound it is all taught as a prac class and we are not actually taught how it all works we are just being told "this does this, you will work it out". I honestly feel like I am getting nothing out of attending this class and could probably just sign the roll at the start and then leave early.
We spend an hour of the three hour class with too many cooks in the kitchen setting up pretty much the same sound system, we have a 20 minute break (so the teacher can have a smoko), then we listen to the teacher for around an hour going over the SAME stuff he has been doing the past 3 weeks and then by that point we have to spend 20 minutes pack up the system and leave.
There isn't even any chance for us too take notes as the class is in a theatre and we are all standing around a tiny space all cramped.
RANT OVER!

Repair and Maintain
I think we have two more weeks of this and then we are done. Which is kind of sad because I have been interested in how all the circuitry we have been learning about works and I was looking forward to going more in depth then we are.
This weeks class we tested the circuits we soldered a few weeks ago. Mine worked. So I'm happy 'bout that.
It did finish very early though.

Lighting
OMIGOISHHHHH
TODAYS CLASSS WAS AMAMAMAAMAAMAAZZZIZNZIZNINNGGGGNGNGNGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We worked in groups of 4 to set up simple light systems and then play around programming them. My group was full of people who either 1. were too overwhelmed or 2. had no interest in lighting. Then there was me who was supepeppeprrr dudppepeprrr excited that I got a chance to play around with the lighting desk. Because of my IT skills I found it really easy and spent an hour really trying to work out how the intricate things it can do work. Keep in mind the only lighting desk I had used before this has been a suuuuuuper simple analogue desk which you can do pretty much nothing on besides light on/light off. This desk had all these complicated patterns and things that you could configure and I LOVVED experimenting with it!!!!!!!
Next I want a chance to play around with movers and how to configure them. As with them they have a million different more complicated things you can do with them compared to the simple LED Parcans and dimmable Fresnel fixtures we used today.

Goals audit will be coming Sunday night.
I am going to try and use the weekend to knuckle down on a few!!!!!

technodisney

• Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 09:28:00 am »
+7

Goals
Last weeks goals:
- Read the small Audio Engineering Handbook (Week 2)
- Organise all my due dates and important dates in some form of timetable/organised way(Week 2)
- $30 max budget for anything SUCCESS
- Finish my Comms assignment, working as a team member I'm gonna say done. I am meeting up with my group at 11:30am today to finalise it all but I have done all I need to do
- Complete the next section of my Informatics SAT Guide (Week 2)
- Complete my online Lighting Assessment DONE (even though I did do it an hour after the deadline :-\)

Goals for next week:
- Read the small Audio Engineering Handbook (Week 3)
- Organise all my due dates and important dates in some form of timetable/organised way(Week 3)
- $25 Budget for the week
- Complete the next section of my Informatics SAT Guide (Week 3)
- Start preparing for my upcoming sound assessment

Ongoing goals:
- Make sure I participate and get my hands dirty (2/2)

Long term goals:
- Get more sleep
- Get Fit

Also, I have found myself a goal of something to save up for.
Next year I would LOVE to work at Disney World in Florida for 6 months on their exchange program and take a gap year from Uni before completing my Diploma in 2021.
Once I am there I will earn enough money to cover living costs but I need to have flights there and back, accommodation for a night or 2 before the program starts and around $600 USD in program admin costs.
That is now my goal of what I am putting all the money I earn towards.
Applications just opened and I have started going through the application process. But I don't think interviews are till like September.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:39:25 am by technodisney »

technodisney

• Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 03:07:06 pm »
+6
Oops, completely forgot to update this. And this morning I was sitting around bored with nothing to do

Comms
Presentation is DONE!
Class is DONE!
I probably didn't put as much effort into this as I should have but it's done, I have passed and I am happeeeee!!!!

Vision
We looked at cameras which I really enjoyed. Well not really cameras but moreso balancing out the different whites and blacks in different cameras and using different tools to do that.
We also looked at the signal flow through the bio box and how the video and audio signals are all connected to each other and how to patch them.
I found it really interesting.

Audio
WE DID THE SAME THING AGAIN!!!!
The signal flow stuff so many are struggling with. I actually fell asleep before our 15 minute break and in the break I jjust walked out because it was nothing new just going over the signal flow again and again and again and again and again and again. I mean I know it's important but from my perspective I instantly understood how it works and I am sick of it.

Repair and Maintain
We looked at how you would normally go about troubleshooting a broken piece of equipment. Again it was fairly basic and alot of common sense stuff. But I was actually good at taking notes this week so I guess that is a good thing.

Lighting
AWMWMWMWWMMMAAAAAZIZZINZINZINZNGGGGGG AGIIININIANIANINANNNN!!!!!
My group was assigned a Martin M1 desk (a big fat old complicated digital desk) and it was super confusing but I found it super fun patching it all and then again I spent a good hour playing around with it and seeing what I can do with it.
In saying that the reason the rest of my group weren't touching it was because they were drawing the diagrams that I never got around too. :/ But I did end up doing them out of class.

Goals
Last weeks goals:
- Read the small Audio Engineering Handbook (Week 3)
- Organise all my due dates and important dates in some form of timetable/organised way(Week 3)
- $25 Budget for the week I spent barely anything lol. (thanks to two minute noodles and stealing food from the pantry at home)
- Complete the next section of my Informatics SAT Guide (Week 3)
- Start preparing for my upcoming sound assessment I never got around to it. I will make sure I have a look at it this week

Goals for next week:
- Read the small Audio Engineering Handbook (Week 4)
- Organise all my due dates and important dates in some form of timetable/organised way(Week 4)
- $20 Budget for the week (besides Endgame tickets lol)
- Complete the next section of my Informatics SAT Guide (Week 4)
- Start preparing for my upcoming sound assessment (week 2)
- finish some web design work for mum

Ongoing goals:
- Make sure I participate and get my hands dirty (3/3)

Long term goals:
- Get more sleep
- Get Fit

SOMEONE PLEASE YELL AT ME FOR PROCRASTINATING STUFF FOR FOUR WEEKS!!

After this week I have mid semester break YAY!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2019, 03:26:46 pm »
+1
Any plans for mid-sem? :)

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2019, 05:28:23 pm »
+2
Hey techno,  you know not having read the handbook is stressing you out and the sooner you get it done the better.  You've had 4 weeks and haven't read it,  so by Wednesday/tomorrow I expect you to have read 5 pages. 

Get. On.  It

marking scheme for you
A: read 10+ pages
B: read 5 pages + read or skimmed more
C: read 5 pages
D: skimmed 5 pages
E: less than 5 pages but more than 0
UG: did not read or skim at all

technodisney

• Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2019, 05:41:42 pm »
+2
Hey techno,  you know not having read the handbook is stressing you out and the sooner you get it done the better.  You've had 4 weeks and haven't read it,  so by Wednesday/tomorrow I expect you to have read 5 pages. 

Get. On.  It

marking scheme for you
A: read 10+ pages
B: read 5 pages + read or skimmed more
C: read 5 pages
D: skimmed 5 pages
E: less than 5 pages but more than 0
UG: did not read or skim at all

😡 FINE!

I will grade myself each day.

p.s. I am actually really thankful.

Any plans for mid-sem? :)
Work and procrastinate doing work. By work I mean stuff for my mums business and my casual job.

Oh aaaaand Endgame!!!