Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:06:22 pm

Author Topic: Maya's Vce Journal  (Read 14494 times)

Maya24

• MOTM: OCT 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +114
Re: Maya's Vce Journal
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 08:38:57 pm »
+7
So its been over 2 weeks since I last updated.
I'm glad to say that I survived the past 2 weeks. It was rough and didn't seem like it would end but it finally did.It was a week of tears and slamming fits for a lot of people. It was a week full of internal and external breakdowns during the sacs. It was extremely stressful but i somehow managed to survive.

We had no sacs for english but had devastating news instead. Due to the other class being unhappy with the way the teachers marked, all of our sacs for english now have to be marked again by an independent marker. I was disappointed  considering that it took a long time  for the first sac to be marked and that the fact that my results will change.

For chemistry we had our sac on equilibrium. I found it to be not that difficult however it was mentally draining since we just had
 sacs on previous days so a lot of people focused on other subjects a lot more. We got our results and despite it not being too amazing it was my highest sac mark for chemistry. I feel like everyone expected their low scores.

Methods came and killed. Every paper felt like a battle. There were 6 of them all together and it finally ended this Monday.  The questions were difficult. The only relieve is that now its over. I just hope I do well enough in methods to stay in the subject. For unit 4 I plan to have a fresh start for methods working continuosly. I feel like its one of those subjects where it is really easy to neglect and the work keeps piling on and on.

For Biology we had our poster sac on testing the antibacterial properties of spice. It would have been a fun prac except for the lack of organisation in the layout of the sac which resulted in additional stress. It was also going to be the last time I did a poster for school ever again which despite being sad I was kind of glad, as I prefer tests to posters.

Over the weekend I had a career change and I'm now shifting towards the optometrist field.
Next week is a chill week being only a 2 day week and the gat.
I only have the English Language analysis sac left and a test for methods before i'm done for the term which i'm excited for. Term 2 has been long and draining.The holidays will provide me with a good chance to catch up as well as take a break from all the studying.

I hope everyone has a good week!

Maya24

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2018, 06:40:34 pm »
+4
June is almost over and its been a long while since I last updated.

I released I haven't posted about my exam timetable yet so here it is:

English
Wednesday
31 October   
9.00am – 12.15pm

Biology
Friday
2 November   
9.00am – 11.45am

Mathematical Methods
Examination 1
Wednesday
7 November   
9.00am – 10.15am

Mathematical Methods
Examination 2
Thursday
8 November
3.00pm – 5.15pm

Chemistry
Tuesday
13 November
9.00am – 11.45am

I am really happy with the way it turned out in particular enjoying the break between methods and chemistry.

I'm officially on holidays now and it's a good time for me to catch up.I plan on going to the library at least 4 times a week. I will also be attending a couple lectures including the Atarnotes one.

The last week of school went by pretty quickly. We got our methods sac results back and I was disappointed but it gave me motivation to do better. I also had a methods test as well despite studying really hard for it, I didn't do that well on it either. I plan on getting a tutor to help out.

We had our English language analysis sac and it went well but I felt like there wasn't enough time to finish it properly.

Not much happened for biology or chemistry this week.

On another note, I started watching the kdrama Whats Wrong With Secretary Kim and it feel nice to get back into kdramas after a long break. I also binged watch Grownish in a day. I found it to be extremely relatable.

I hope everyone has a good week !

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2018, 08:18:53 am »
I plan on getting a tutor to help out.
This is my thinking too lmao.

On another note, I started watching the kdrama Whats Wrong With Secretary Kim and it feel nice to get back into kdramas after a long break. I also binged watch Grownish in a day. I found it to be extremely relatable.
What's Grownish about? Would you recommend? I'm waiting for the next episode of What's Wrong with Secretary Kim too... the wait is too loonnggg :((

Have a good week!!

[/quote]
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

Maya24

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2018, 12:41:36 pm »
+1
Grownish is about an African American as she struggles through college.Its one those 20 minute shows that you can easily watch.  I suggest you give it ago. I can't wait for the next episode of WWWSK, it's addicting.

Maya24

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2018, 11:22:22 pm »
+9
Today I had an eye opening realisation. In vce I find that too often we forget to take care of ourselves and neglect our own personal health. The holidays for some it's a time to relax and enjoy, to take a break from school but for many other like myself we push ourselves too hard.

For me personally these holidays I spent nearly everyday at the library studying at least 4 hours a day with limited break. Something that I had never done even during school time.  Teacher would love this. My chemistry teacher even recommended this . I think that for the people including  who haven't been doing well in the past 6 month, we see this as our last chance but it's not. These holidays instead of a break have become fuelled by stress and having a methods sac first day back made it a million times worse.

Everyone handles the stress of vce in different ways.  For me it was the "it's not going to effect my future" or the "I will still end up getting into uni" way.  My friends didn't like it when I had this attitude but for me this was the best way to handle year 12.  So find a way to manage your stress, no matter what anyone think of the method.

So to everyone, I hope you take this time and enjoy these holidays. Take a break from studying. Spend sometime with your friends. Just enjoy life. Sometimes we need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

Let me finish this post off with a common saying: Where there is will, there is a way.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:03:35 pm by Maya24 »

Maya24

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 10:26:49 pm »
+3
Term 3 its on it way now with the second week now being almost over.

Today we had our last ever high school excursion. We went to Latrobe uni for chemistry to learn about spectroscopy. We ended the day with nandos which was nice. We also got back our official sac marks for english for our text response and creatives. I did average but I'm a tad disappointed in the creative, since I enjoy creative writing and I expected that to be higher than my text response. The comments showed that I really struggle with spelling, grammar and punctuation, so if you have any tips for that please leave a comment down below.

The method sac was brutal which was no surprise but I gave it my best shot. Even if I do get worse than last time, I don't think I will be that disappointed. I'm also finally getting a tutor for methods. At this point I feel like it's a bit late but better now than never. 

For english we have our oral next week and I'm planning to smash that. My topic is to do with online privacy.

This term my plan is to give everything my best shot so I have no regrets. I'm still undecided on what to study but currently it's either between a bachelor of science at monash or biomedicine at deakin.

AngelWings

• Victorian Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2018, 07:24:35 pm »
+2
The comments showed that I really struggle with spelling, grammar and punctuation, so if you have any tips for that please leave a comment down below.
Some tips:
- read whenever you have spare time.
- use a dictionary. Pretty self-explanatory.
- force yourself to learn grammar, punctuation and spelling from a textbook or something similar.
- write some practise pieces, give it to your teacher to correct and ask for feedback on what your most common mistakes are. 
- get a spell-checking program (Grammarly is the one I see the most advertised) to help you out. Use it a lot.

This term my plan is to give everything my best shot so I have no regrets.
Sounds like a plan! :)

I'm still undecided on what to study but currently it's either between a bachelor of science at monash or biomedicine at deakin.
Both are good choices! Then again...I might just be a little biased. Would highly recommend that you check out the Open Days late this month and next month. 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

Maya24

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 07:27:23 pm »
Thank you so much  :)

Maya24

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2018, 07:55:43 pm »
+3
Another update. This weeks been a killer. There's good news and bad news. This week happened to be one of the hardest weeks so far this year. I wasn't expecting what happened to happen.

Let's start of with the bad news first.
We got our methods marks for our sac back.  Despite studying so hard and giving it my all it wasn't enough.My mark was horrible, to the point where my methods journey ends.I'm not going to like, I was disappointed.I wasn't expecting it all.

Here are my past and present thoughts of methods in a somewhat creative format.
I want to write a success story .How I came from an 18 predicted study score to a 30 in methods. My story will start like this. Only passing once in year 11. Failing unit 3.  Failing the sac but then I will make my story change.  I will study not only for the tests and quizzes but for the bigger picture, the sacs and the exam. I will make sure that  I am  up to date no matter how far behind I am. I will make sure that I will catch up that I will do questions that will not help me only for test's but rather the sac.  This time I will change.  I will work harder and stronger and faster so I can eventually start passing.  Passing a few times consistently passing then I will aim go go further work harder so I can get that 30 study score so I can become another success story.

Let me write the end of the story. It goes like this. My store ends right here today  on 3rd August 2018.  I will no longer be completing methods.  There will be no success story.  The story ends with  a message, sometimes no matter how hard you try, life will not be in your favour. It was destined that I will not be completing methods. Who knows maybe it was for the better.  So the methods drop kick becomes the methods drop out.

Onto the good news now. We had our last ever oral for english.I don't want to sound to confident but I felt like I smashed it. The teacher said it was beyond her expectations. So now I'm just going to wait for the results. We also got our Language Analysis sac marked. I did well. My highest ever mark in English yet. I was pleased with the results.

For chemistry and biology, there is not much updates besides the fact that I have my chemistry sac on Monday. I didn't do to well on the quiz so I'm hoping I do better on the sac.

Career wise, there hasn't been much change but rather more detail. I want to do Science at Monash ideally majoring in pharmacology and doing electives in communication or journalism. I've also thought of the idea of studying public health, since I loved studying Health and Human development last year, so I'm keeping that an option.

Over the next couple of weeks,I plan to attend the open day for Monash, Melbourne and Deakin. I want to get a feel of the universities.

I'm going to end this with another quote:What is meant for you, will reach you even if it is beneath two mountains. What isn't meant for you, won't reach you even if it is between your two lips.

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 08:12:03 pm »
+1
Here are my past and present thoughts of methods in a somewhat creative format.
I want to write a success story .How I came from an 18 predicted study score to a 30 in methods. My story will start like this. Only passing once in year 11. Failing unit 3.  Failing the sac but then I will make my story change.  I will study not only for the tests and quizzes but for the bigger picture, the sacs and the exam. I will make sure that  I am  up to date no matter how far behind I am. I will make sure that I will catch up that I will do questions that will not help me only for test's but rather the sac.  This time I will change.  I will work harder and stronger and faster so I can eventually start passing.  Passing a few times consistently passing then I will aim go go further work harder so I can get that 30 study score so I can become another success story.

Let me write the end of the story. It goes like this. My store ends right here today  on 3rd August 2018.  I will no longer be completing methods.  There will be no success story.  The story ends with  a message, sometimes no matter how hard you try, life will not be in your favour. It was destined that I will not be completing methods. Who knows maybe it was for the better.  So the methods drop kick becomes the methods drop out.

I'm going to end this with another quote:What is meant for you, will reach you even if it is beneath two mountains. What isn't meant for you, won't reach you even if it is between your two lips.

That really sucks about Methods... :'(
I almost (within 3%) did the same in my 3/4 last year, and that was a VET subject!

Hope ya can keep the dream alive with your remaining subjects! :)

The comments showed that I really struggle with spelling, grammar and punctuation, so if you have any tips for that please leave a comment down below.
I find this really interesting, because this is generally a hallmark of someone who doesn't read a lot. From your opening post, you are an avid reader of novels, but which novels? I would recommend moving more towards classics, because modern YA is all BS, 99.9% of the words used in them would be known by a capable 8 y/o...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 08:23:01 pm by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

Maya24

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2018, 09:19:04 pm »
That really sucks about Methods... :'(
I almost (within 3%) did the same in my 3/4 last year, and that was a VET subject!

Hope ya can keep the dream alive with your remaining subjects! :)
I find this really interesting, because this is generally a hallmark of someone who doesn't read a lot. From your opening post, you are an avid reader of novels, but which novels? I would recommend moving more towards classics, because modern YA is all BS, 99.9% of the words used in them would be known by a capable 8 y/o...

Firstly ,thank you.
When I was younger I used to read a lot.It got to the point where I would do nothing but read all day. I usually tried to read anything I could get my hands on, from history textbooks to murder mysteries. I also write a lot but when I do write, I usually don't focus on my spelling and grammar.  I think now that I have dropped methods, I can focus more time on perfecting stuff like that.

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2018, 09:31:43 pm »
+1
Firstly ,thank you.
When I was younger I used to read a lot.It got to the point where I would do nothing but read all day. I usually tried to read anything I could get my hands on, from history textbooks to murder mysteries. I also write a lot but when I do write, I usually don't focus on my spelling and grammar.  I think now that I have dropped methods, I can focus more time on perfecting stuff like that.
Anytime.. :D
That's exactly what I was like as a kid! Random Q, but what is your top ten books? (I prolly couldn't answer this one btw... :D ) or Top ten Authors?

That's the spirit. Every cloud has a silver lining (but the one's which hurt the most to get to are golden.. ;)
Carpe Vinum

Maya24

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2018, 04:34:05 pm »
That's exactly what I was like as a kid! Random Q, but what is your top ten books? (I prolly couldn't answer this one btw... :D ) or Top ten Authors?

I don't have a top 10 favourite book, but I do have books that have shaped my life.

For me the Harry Potter series, shaped my childhood and it got me into reading and writing. Similarly, I really enjoyed the Percy Jackson when I was younger. Currently, It's really hard to choose a book to be my favourite. Every book has effected me in somewhat way. Also, I don't read that much since when I start reading, I do nothing but read until I finish the book which prevents me from studying. 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 05:44:53 pm »
+3
It sucks when you've been determined to have a particular outcome and things don't turn out that way; I hope that chemistry turns out nicer for you and is more in line with your great English result :)

On that note, if you're wanting to improve your grammar and spelling in your classwork it may be beneficial to use these conventions even online just so that they become your automatic response (eg in your past few posts there are some instances of non-standard grammar, which is completely fine for here but it may be beneficial to adjust your habits anyway).

I hope you have a great experience at all of your open days and that they're valuable and interesting for you :)

S200

• Part of the furniture
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 09:19:03 pm »
+1
I don't have a top 10 favourite book, but I do have books that have shaped my life.

For me the Harry Potter series, shaped my childhood and it got me into reading and writing. Similarly, I really enjoyed the Percy Jackson when I was younger. Currently, It's really hard to choose a book to be my favourite. Every book has effected me in somewhat way. Also, I don't read that much since when I start reading, I do nothing but read until I finish the book which prevents me from studying. 
I never got into the Harry potter thing, which I'm kinda thankful for! ;)

But I would actually recommend reading. Sometimes when you just can't concentrate, a book is your best friend... :)
Carpe Vinum