Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 11:47:10 pm

Author Topic: The VCE journey of a hums student  (Read 30467 times)

crawlingvines

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
Re: The VCE journey of a hums student
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2018, 07:40:44 pm »
+1
Update #17: 5/11/2018

I’m also still incredibly pissed that I lost my rank 1 for lit, just due to a freaking TRIAL exam.

Lit is my biggest worry. For Section A we only get one prompt – so we don’t even get a choice! If the prompt contains some fancy word that I don’t know the meaning to, then I’m legitimately screwed. This has happened to students before, who knows, maybe this year it’ll be me.

Predictions on exam topics
Come back to this post in 2 weeks to see how wrong I've been about everything.
Lit
SECTION A – Mendacity / entrapment / family / flaw of character / American Dream (?)

SECTION B – The Nose / The Overcoat / Nevsky Prospekt / Shponka / Diary of a Madman
Overcoat and Diary of a Madman definitely won't appear together. I'm 100% sure that The Nose will be on this year's exam though.
The dream combo would be Nose + Overcoat + Nevsky Prospekt.
If I get an Ukrainian story, I’ll actually shoot myself.
History
GREECE Source Analysis – Predicting either Sparta, or the end of tyranny in Athens. Hopefully it’s NOT Sparta, though my teacher seems pretty confident that it is.

GREECE Essay – I’m predicting that the key figure essay would be on Alcibiades, however I think EVERYONE in the state is expecting Alcibiades so VCAA might just throw a curveball. The other essay will hopefully be on their political systems.

ROME Source Analysis – Punic Wars. I’m almost 100% certain. Not sure exactly which one though.

ROME Essay – Like Greece, EVERYONE is expecting Julius Caesar for this year’s key figure. I’m hoping for Caesar too. VCAA better not let me down.

Well, gotta go and memorise some quotes now. My predictions are probably miles off anyway.

Best of luck everyone!! Hope you've all been acing those pesky exams ;D

The next time I update my exams would be done! Even just thinking about it feels mildly liberating.

Woah woah woah — since when did school trial exams hold any influence over your ranking? I thought it was only SACs that were responsible for this??

crawlingvines

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2018, 08:23:35 pm »
+1
Theoretically it's only SACs that can influence rankings, but I was outperformed on the trial exam, and the teacher predicts that the same would happen on the actual exam hence he gave someone else rank 1 instead. Unfortunate, but there's not much I can do. :-\ It's within the teacher's powers to rank his students (within reason) however he wants to.

Yikes :/ I'm hoping that the same doesn't apply to my school, or maybe it already has and I've just been living under a rock. My whole lit class bombed the end of year trial exam after acing the midyear one (warranting a scathing lecture from our teacher) so if that disaster unleashed its wrath on our rankings, then... RIP.

Best wishes for the rest of your exams! I'm writing about Cat as well for lit perspectives so hopefully VCAA blesses us with the comfort of an American Dream based prompt ;)

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2018, 08:11:12 pm »
+10
Update #18: 09/11/2018

10 days. Just 10 more days.

Two subjects down, three more to go.

Methods 1: That was not an exam. That was butchery.
Our rank 1 walked out in tears. I think the rest of us had grown accustomed to depression.
I had done every VCAA exam from 2003 till 2018 NHT but nothing - I repeat - nothing could have prepared me for that absolute monstrosity that was Question 9. When I flipped the page and saw something that looked more like a bloody Infrared Spectrum than a circular function, I resigned to my fate.
Quote from: Also, remember when I said this:
For tech free, I'll be working on the probability/statistics questions first (literally the only topics I can understand)
Well that went down the drain, as the complete absence of statistics was an utter disgrace.

Methods 2: Exam 2 was slightly better, though not by a lot. I’m fairly certain that I got all the probability/statistics questions right, but oh dear lord the amount of ’find the value of a’ questions made me want to neck myself. I kind of gave up in the end and wrote ‘5’ for every a I was told to find.

Predicted study score for methods: 32~35

History: I don’t know how to feel about this one, to be honest. I’m fairly confident I did well on the Greece Part B and Rome Part A, but the other two I completely messed up.
Let’s look at how off my predictions were:
Quote from: Predictions
GREECE Source Analysis – Sparta OR End of tyranny in Athens

GREECE Essay – Alcibiades + Political systems.

ROME Source Analysis – Punic Wars.

ROME Essay – Julius Caesar + [blank].
GREECE Source Analysis - very off. It was the reforms of Cleisthenes, which honestly I forgot existed. I wasn't too far off about Sparta though, as question c) was on comparing Cleisthenes's reforms in Athens with Sparta.

GREECE Essay - very off on both of them. The key figure wasn't Alcibiades - it was bloody Pericles, the one person I wished wouldn't be on the exam. I guess this only means that the 2019 Ancient History exam would definitely have Alcibiades on it.
The other essay wasn't on political systems either, it was on the Peace of Nicias, which again I forgot existed.

ROME Source Analysis - Spot on. Punic Wars. I did a silent cheer when I saw this.

ROME Essay - Spot on. Julius Caesar was indeed the key figure. HOWEVER I did not expect the topic to be so narrow. The prompt was something along the lines of "Discuss how the Gallic Wars led to Julius Caesar becoming dictator". When I first saw Caesar I thought YES! but then I saw 'Gallic Wars' and just went *nope*.
Seriously VCAA? Despite all the stuff Caesar actually did IN ROME, you decided to go with something he did in bloody France??
The other essay was unexpected. I didn't write it in my predictions for some reason, but I predicted Marius and Sulla. But NOPE NOPE NOPE VCAA decided to put the Second Triumvirate on the exam instead, EVEN THOUGH THEY'VE ALREADY BEEN ON THE EXAM ONCE AND MARIUS AND SULLA HAVEN'T!

Predicted study score for history: 39~43
(I'm still hoping desperately for a 45+, but after today, I think I'll have to expect less).

My two most stressful subjects are out of the way. WOOHOO! Next week I've got lit (Monday) and chem (Tuesday), then finally global the week after. And then I'm throwing everything into a bonfire and will honestly never touch another textbook for as long as I live.

Hope everyone's been smashing their exams so far ;D All the best for the rest of the exam period.
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #78 on: November 19, 2018, 04:13:20 pm »
+19
Update #19: 19/11/2018

Two hours ago, I walked out of my last exam.

Exams

Lit
Ok, I don’t want to sound too overconfident, but lit was AMAZING.

SECTION A: Spot on with the topic –family values. Managed to finish in 55 minutes as planned. Regrettably due to the focus on family I couldn’t bring in my analysis on the reverend and the spiritual corruption of 1950s US, which was my strongest point. Other than that it was great.

SECTION B: Once again, spot on! The Nose, Diary of a Madman, and Shponka. (It wasn’t my dream combo, but who cares). I was worried about Shponka at first, as I’m not familiar with his Ukrainian stories, but I got lucky. That passage was the only Ukrainian passage I ever wrote an analysis for. I’m not even religious, but that seemed like a miracle.

All in all, I managed to write 15 pages in 2 hours. Of course, it’s not about the quantity, but I reckon the content were top-notch too. At least to me, they were the best essays I’ve ever written.
Predicting a study score of 39~42.

Chem
Flunked it.

To be honest, I didn’t find it to be that difficult. I was expecting something on par with 2018 NHT but nothing really shocked me.

HOWEVER, I MADE SO. MANY. STUPID. MISTAKES. The questioned asked for skeletal structure and I drew structural. Question asked for the recharge but I worked out discharge. Question asked for the answer to be in grams and I wrote kilograms. Question stated hours and I wrote minutes. R=8.31 and I wrote 3.81. There were four solar panels and I only worked out one.

There were probably more, but those were the ones I remember. I wouldn’t be that pissed if I genuinely didn’t know how to do the question – but losing marks over silly mistakes like not reading the question properly?! ARGH!

Prediction: 39~42

My chem teacher has told me that, if I get 40+, I get to be on first name basis with him for the rest of my life. I was so confident I straight-up replied “Cool, Jazza!”

After the exam though, not as confident.

Global
To be honest, after chemistry my brain went on holiday mode. After all, global is destined to be in my bottom two – an improvement from 20 to 30 raw would only add 1 extra point to my total aggregate, so why bother studying? Coming out of chem was like finally finding my way out of a confusing parking lot, and the global exam was a tiny, insignificant speed bump I had to drive over.

The actual exam turned out quite well, actually. Maybe it was because I wasn’t stressed, but I was able to remember everything I revised for. I also did a bit of improvising during the exam – at school we learnt about terrorism + armed conflict (the other options were economic instability + climate change). When I saw the questions I realised that I had no idea what to talk about for terrorism in relation to global cooperation (at least, not without sounding like an opinionated and cynical little twat) so I decided to take a risk and write about climate change instead. I did no VCE-related preparation for this – all my knowledge came from watching the news – so I really hope that I made the right choice, because now thinking about it, that was really risky.

I actually did quite a lot of bullsh**ting throughout the exam – BS’ed about Australia’s foreign policy, about migrant workers, about women’s rights in Saudi Arabia, about Joseph Kony, and about the Arab Spring uprisings. In the end I was pretty much summoning my inner news reporter.

I finished the exam right as the lady announced that we had five minutes left – that gave me more than enough time to check. All in all, I thought it was a pretty good exam.

So… What now?

It’s a weird feeling, coming out of an exam knowing that I’ll never to anything related to that subject ever again. I won’t ever differentiate another function, or find the calibration factor. In 6 months I would’ve probably forgotten everything I learnt in methods and chem this year.

It’s also weird to think that my study scores and ATAR are now set, and nothing I do will be able to change what I see when I open the VTAC website on ATAR day.

Tonight I’m going to a bonfire, about half the year level will be there, all of us chucking worksheets and SACs and essays and past exams in. Methods and chem are going straight into that pit of flames. It’ll be the most liberating feeling, throwing my bundle of 21 chem exams into that fire and watching it disintegrate before my eyes.
(I’m keeping everything for lit, history, and global though, figured they might come in handy in uni.)

My VCE journey is certainly not over. There’s still December 14th to look forward to, and after that, uni offers. Meanwhile, I’m not staying idle. I’ve been looking forward to this for SO LONG and when I look back on this time, ‘bored’ will NOT be one of the words to come to mind.

December will be my ‘chill’ month. In January I have to start planning for uni – mainly moving out. I have ZERO plans at the moment – I won’t start working on that until after I know for sure which uni I’ll be heading too. I’ll have to find a job too, though that can wait as well.

Lsjnzy’s Post-VCE Bucket List
- Throw a surprise dinner for parents
- Learn to play the clarinet
- Overcome the fear of contact lenses and ditch glasses once and for all
- Learn to speak Estonian.
- Go to an all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ place
- Start playing piano again
- Start cubing again
- Start ballet again
- Start running marathons again
- Start reading books for my own enjoyment again

Funny how half of that list is just stuff I used to do but not anymore because VCE crushed my soul.

Finally, I thought I’d end this post on some good old self-depreciation. While cleaning out my stuff I stumbled upon some rather *questionable* pieces of homework I did throughout my VCE journey – so I’m gonna publicly embarrass myself to let all of you in year 11 (or below) know that no matter how much you screw up (like I did in the examples you’ll soon see), you’ll make it through school.

Acing my prac reports

By the way, this was my practical investigation poster for an actual SAC that could possibly impact my ATAR (Unit 4 AOS 3). I did not notice the mistake until afterwards.

I’m not TECHNICALLY wrong with this

Evidence of the abuse I suffer at the hands of my methods teacher

Though to be fair, writing 4 x 3 = 43 definitely warrants abuse.

This isn’t even homework. It’s just stupid.
Teacher asked some VCE students to give advice to year 10s on subject selections. I got my own subjects mixed up.

(This was a draft. It got fixed before they printed it lol.)
Though my advice on subject selection stands – if you’re uncertain about picking a subject because you think it might be too hard, just go for it!!

The time I got Greece and Italy mixed up

And the time I got McCarthy-era America and Tsarist Russia mixed up

The stressful exams are well and truly over. There will still be two more updates coming – one on the dreaded ATAR day (might update late as I’ll be overseas) and uni offers – whenever that may be.

Hope everyone all smashed their exams, and to those who still have more to go, all the best for them! Thanks so much for sticking with me and my mindless rants throughout the year - I'm so glad I found this community.

Hope you all have a wonderful and relaxing holiday. See you all in December. :)

Poet

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Love. ~she/they
  • Respect: +2790
« Reply #79 on: November 19, 2018, 04:22:28 pm »
+4
Congrats, man! That is fantastic. Look after yourself. :)) <3
Thoughts are only thoughts.
They are not you. You do belong to yourself,
even when your thoughts don't.

Dealing with Year 12 - Put Your Mental Health at the Forefront
A Little Guide to Healthy Eating

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2018, 04:23:14 pm »
+5
Congrats on finishing! ;D

Your homework screwups definitely made me laugh
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2018, 05:04:52 pm »
+1
Loving those homework errors... :D

Chem
Flunked it.
Prediction: 39~42

My chem teacher has told me that, if I get 40+, I get to be on first name basis with him for the rest of my life. I was so confident I straight-up replied “Cool, Jazza!”

After the exam though, not as confident.
My Eco teacher said that if I got a 40 he'd buy me a bottle of Green Label... ('cause I always joke about the amount h drinks on weekends to get relief from our class...)

- Start ballet again

:o :o :o :o  ;DGood luck!
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2018, 11:49:43 pm »
+3
Congrats, man! That is fantastic. Look after yourself. :)) <3
Congrats on finishing! ;D

Your homework screwups definitely made me laugh
Thanks guys ;D Hope you're all enjoying your breaks!

Loving those homework errors... :D
My Eco teacher said that if I got a 40 he'd buy me a bottle of Green Label... ('cause I always joke about the amount h drinks on weekends to get relief from our class...)

:o :o :o :o  ;DGood luck!

Now *that* is the true definition of a good teacher.

Re: ballet - don't judge ;D I was forcibly dragged to ballet classes as a kid (being the only dude in a class of 10 girls in pink tutus was HELL) but after a couple of years developed stockholm syndrome towards it lol.

Just came back from the bonfire, we had to finish early because neighbours complained lol. Spent all that time making sure that we were abiding by council regulations and never once did we think of the *neighbours*. Still managed to burn all the stuff, so that's all I need.
Here's a visual representation of how much stuff went into that fire from one person:
Spoiler
Yes, I threw my scientific calculator in there too. It's about 10 years old anyway, so it's time to retire.
Also, if you know where that reference is from, I like you. ;D

THE FREEDOM IS ALREADY FEELING GREAT!!!!!!

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2018, 09:56:32 pm »
+13
Update #20: 04/12/2018

10 more days until *that* day.

Long time no see! Took a break from AN for a week and I came back to find three pages of unread posts lol.

The post-exams feeling is phenomenal. I’ve surprisingly been productive. I had cleaned out all VCE-related stuff within the first two days, sold / burnt / gave away everything I didn’t have an emotional attachment to (i.e. everything except my history books), and now my desk looks so empty it’s downright unsettling. My habit of waking up at 6am hasn’t died (which is annoying because I despise waking up early.) One morning I instinctively reached for my school shirt before remembering that I’ve graduated already.

Valedictory was last week, possibly the last time we were together as a cohort. My sister, along with another student, was made the 2018 Valedictorian, she had to made a speech and I felt like a proud mum. I managed to get a photo with every teacher, principal included, which was legendary.

We also got our last ever yearbooks – and got pranked by the school. In  previous years year 12s have always been organised alphabetically by surnames. So my sister and I planned out our yearbook quotes – hers would say “I’m only 4 minutes younger” and mine would say “Best 4 minutes of my life” (totally original idea ;)). The yearbook team, however, decided to dog us out and organise everyone first names instead. [insert the laughing / crying emoji here]

Another update-worthy news is that I’ve started preparations on tutoring. I was at school a few days ago doing some advertising, and already 2 students have said that they’re interested in getting tutored by me for lit. I’ve tried expanding towards history and chem, but with rather limited success.

Looking ahead

By this time tomorrow I would be on a plane to Iraq with my history teacher and classmates. We're staying in Iraq for 10 days, after that I'll be flying directly to Europe, then China, where I'll stay until February.

I’m also working on guides for lit and history. Highly doubt people will read it (especially history, god that board is a ghost town) but I enjoying writing them. I’m actually already 90% done with the history guide, though there’s still some stuff I need to look over. Lit will take me a while to finish. I’ve realised too late that I’ve thrown away more than I should have, as I took quite a lot of useful lit notes throughout the year that would be good for the guide, except I can't find them anymore.
Moral of story – do NOT throw away your notes/essays impulsively.

My god, the next update will be on my ATAR. What will everyone be looking at first? I’ll probably check ATAR before study scores. Think that puts me out of my misery quicker lessens the suspense. My prediction was a 97 but I feel like I’ve overestimated by about 10 marks. I hope I have enough SEAS to carry me (never found out whether my SEAS application was approved).

That’s it for this update. I’ll be mostly inactive until February, when I get back, however I’ll try to make an update when results come out (if I don’t update and never come back on AN ever again, then you’ll know that I bombed it ;D.)

See you all soon, and to the class of 2018 - and anyone else doing a 3/4 - good luck! I hope all of us get the results we wish for.

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
« Reply #84 on: December 17, 2018, 07:42:26 pm »
+22
Update #21 - 17/12/2018

Good evening ladies and gents, and welcome to the final episode of the hums student’s VCE Journey Journal, the show where a particular AN user mindlessly rants about his various first world problems once a fortnight. In tonight’s disappointing finale, you will see first hand the four digit number that allegedly "does not define you", as well as various other two digit numbers which he will continuously rant about for the next couple of paragraphs.

So pull up a chair, pour yourself a mug of hot chocolate, and let’s dive right in.

Hello AN, greetings from Fulda, Germany! Apologies for the late update, I’m aware that results are becoming kind of irrelevant now. Also I’m typing this from my phone and this is hard lmao, but who brings a laptop overseas?

Iraq
I thought I’d briefly talk about my trip. Iraq is simply amazing. It’s a beautiful country and it’s such a shame that the political instability in the region is eroding away its stunning history. We visited the Great Ziggurat of Ur, which we studied in Unit 1, and seeing it in person was phenomenal. The structure is absolutely majestic and none of the photos we saw in our history textbooks did it justice.

Anyway, I should cut out the chatter and get to the *juicy stuff*.

So, results. The four digit number that I’ve spent the past eleven years of my life working towards shall henceforth define me for the rest of my life.

I actually found out my history study score the day before results were officially released. I was, and still am, beyond disappointed. I initially thought was that my teacher must have been playing some cruel prank on me. It was much, much lower than my prediction. My teacher was disappointed too, he kept saying all those sugarcoating crap like "It’s hard to score high in history", but sugarcoating words never work. I was devastated by my result and his words only succeeded in confirming the fact that I did badly. I was so ashamed of my score. I had made it so, so clear - both on AN and in real life, that history is my passion and it that it was bound to be my best subject, yet I flunked it.

The wait for ATAR release was, to put it simply, pure agony. My group pulled an all nighter, and passed the time by playing ‘the floor is lava’ in our hotel room and having a planking contest. Who would’ve thought that a planking contest just made time go by even slower? Just before 3am hit (7am AEST), the hotel internet decided to throw a tantrum and we had to wait for another hour and a half before the app finally loaded, and I was greeted with that dreaded 4-digit number before I could even mentally prepare myself for it.

My ATAR ended up being much higher than anything I could’ve ever hoped for. In fact, I thought I was seeing someone else’s result at first. The first thought to race through my head was ‘Did I log into the right account?’

Before I could even recover from my shock, I had seen my scaled lit study score right below my ATAR, and I did have an audible reaction, as it was beyond my wildest dreams. I quickly scrolled through the rest of my scaled scores but none of the other numbers seemed to make sense to me. It took me about two minutes to finally register my ATAR, and to open study scores.

Despite already knowing my scaled lit score, I still did a double take when I saw the raw score, as it confirmed the fact that I was definitely not dreaming. Global and methods made me laugh out loud - despite being the subjects I gave up on, they were not bad at all (at least, not by my standards). However, chem was like a slap in the face. It was so, so close to my goal, but I just fell short, and it significantly ruined the joy I felt from seeing my ATAR.

Overall, the two subjects I had the highest hopes for - history and chem - ended up being the most disappointing. Instead, it was literature that saved my ATAR. Unexpected, definitely. I am over the moon with my ATAR, however slightly disappointed with study scores. I mean, lit and my 2 bludge ended up doing well... but history and chem! My best subjects! The subjects I cared about the most! How in the world did I flunk them so badly?

Anyway, my results:
Literature: 40+
History: 40+
Chemistry: 39
Global: 39
Methods: 34

(Won't be giving specific scores for literature and history for privacy)

ATAR: about 10 points higher than expected

My history teacher had expected nothing less than a 47 from me. As for chem, the teacher have said that as long as I perform NORMALLY on the exam I am guaranteed a 40 at the very least. Instead, I screwed up both big time. I feel that I had not just let myself down but my teachers and peers too. Especially history. If I hadn’t choked on the exam, maybe my entire cohort’s SACs would’ve went up more.
(At least that’s how I think it works.)

also...
Quote from: my young and naïve pre-results self
My teacher said that if I get above 40 for chem I get to be on first name basis with him for the rest of my life.
Well, guess I have to go back to calling him ‘sir’.

I am also kind of pissed that two of my subjects got 39... so, so close to that glorified raw 40 everybody dream of (especially chem!! Argh! I had a chance and I screwed it!) It doesn’t even matter that much considering I didn’t give permission to be on the 40+ honour roll anyway, but still.

Ultimately, I’ve got the ATAR needed for my course - which is what matters.

Looking ahead, our celebration evening (awards night) is on the night I land back at Melbourne. I’m excited to go, having went to the one for the 2017 cohort. It was at Melbourne Town Hall and was absolutely grand. I’m looking forward to seeing all my classmates again.

It is now time to start preparing for 2019. I’ll be moving out, hopefully to somewhere just outside the Melbourne CBD so that getting to uni won’t take too long. My sister won’t be living with me - she did much better on the SATs and is moving to the US for ""college"", which starts in the latter half of 2019. My parents will be leaving Australia in exactly two months from today, so for the very first time in my life, I’ll be all by myself. (There’s friends, but it’ll be weird not having any family around.)

I also need to get a job, I actually applied for a job at a tutoring place near me, but with my 39 chem score that just went down the drain. I still need to sort out Youth Allowance and all that crap. (Urgh adult life is hitting me and I’m not even legal yet). I also need to learn how to parallel park - there’s still a while to go before I can get Ps, but I should learn how before the parentals leave in which case I’ll have to spend money on a driving instructor.
I’m just ranting now, aren’t I?

There’s more to come from me on AN too! I’ve nearly finished the history guide, that will hopefully be posted before the new year. I can promise that it will be useful as I had my history teacher look over the whole thing and he also gave his own tips and comments. I also consulted a friend at another school who got a raw 46 (5th in VIC!), so I reckon it’ll be pretty good!
Lit guide is in progress! It’s actually written by both me and another AN user (hint hint, they got a 50 in literature... in year 11!) and it should be posted in January. It will be from their account (@Colline) so please be on the lookout for it!

I think I might also start a university journey journal.
All in all, I’ve got that 95+ ATAR needed to guarantee me into my first preference, and I guess in the end that’s what counts. I do have some slight regrets, but at the end of the day I’m just glad that I have guaranteed entry into my course, and that I can finally call myself a Bachelor of Arts student!

University of Melbourne, here I come!!

This marks the final chapter of my VCE journey. Certainly a roller coaster of a ride, there were definitely more bumps than I had expected when I first entered Year 12 (teacher changes, fire drills during SACs, getting audited for global, ranking scandals, loads more I never wrote about... you name it). But hey - I survived. And I think AN played a big part in that. In January I had made an account to download lecture slides, and ended up getting so much more. Thank you all for accompanying me through this hectic year of my life, and offering me so much support, help, and advice along the way. AN is truly a remarkable community, and now that I’ve finally graduated, I can’t wait to help the next cohort of VCE students!

Thanks guys, so much.

Signing off,
The hums student.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 12:27:30 am by hums_student »

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #85 on: December 17, 2018, 08:38:53 pm »
+9
It’s been excellent reading your journal and Lsjnzy13 and seeing you on these forums this year.

Well done in your excellent score and I hope you enjoy your well early holidays.

I just wanted to point out a very big lesson that is to be learned from your results. Often students sort of throw away one or two subjects by immediately deciding it will be their ‘bottom two’ and won’t count as much as their other beloved subjects. I strongly, strongly advise any future students reading to not do this. Anything can happen and you do not want to have a regret at the end of the year about not trying in your other subject which actually turned out to be one of your best. Give all subjects your best shot and leave chance to decide which one ended up being your bottom subject.

Sorry for hijacking your journal but this was a perfect opportunity to convey my point!
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

sarangiya

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • 好きこそものの上手なれ ☆ What one likes, one will do well
  • Respect: +383
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2018, 04:36:57 pm »
+8
Kade, congratulations on your amazing results!
I hope you had a great time overseas and sorry that you had to come home to all these changes, responsibilities, youth allowance, driving... blurgh haha
I'm so happy you got into your dream course at UniMelb! I'm sure you'll love it. Looking forward to your uni journal if you plan on writing one!!
Sometimes you make choices, and sometimes choices make you.

♡ Subjects ♡
2015: Japanese SL [42]
2016: Psychology [43] Philosophy [36] Japanese SL [50] [Premier's Award]
2017: UMEP Further Advanced Japanese [4.5]
2018: Methods [24] English Language [41] Chemistry [31] Psychology [41] Cert III in Allied Health Assistance [4.3]
ATAR: 97.45
2019-2024: Bachelor of Medical Science/Doctor of Medicine @ UNSW

Sarangiya's 사랑하는 VCE Journal
Is Repeating a VCE Subject Worth It?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2018, 11:28:06 pm »
+4
Have absolutely loved reading your journal :)
Can't wait to hear what you get up to at uni next year ;)

Also, I finally know how to spell your username lol
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra