Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:58:07 am

Author Topic: Mod A help please !  (Read 3329 times)

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
Mod A help please !
« on: October 14, 2019, 07:39:57 am »
Hi all,

For Mod A, say we get a question that says something about how your two prescribed texts converse.
I was taught to write paired paragraphs, and we were explicitly told not to write integrated, so mine would look like this:
Para 1: Keats poem
Para 2: Bright star film
Para 3: Keats poem
Para 4: Bright star film

But how would I answer a question along those lines, seeing as the conversation happens in the film and not the poetry (as in what would I write about in my first and third paragraphs)?? Thanks!

(I also dont want to write integrated paras or attempt to this close to the hsc) :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Mod A help please !
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 09:54:46 am »
+2
Hi all,

For Mod A, say we get a question that says something about how your two prescribed texts converse.
I was taught to write paired paragraphs, and we were explicitly told not to write integrated, so mine would look like this:
Para 1: Keats poem
Para 2: Bright star film
Para 3: Keats poem
Para 4: Bright star film

But how would I answer a question along those lines, seeing as the conversation happens in the film and not the poetry (as in what would I write about in my first and third paragraphs)?? Thanks!

(I also dont want to write integrated paras or attempt to this close to the hsc) :)

Hey, Emily!

Not a problem at all if you want to stick to individual texts for your paragraphs. It's wiser to do that if you're more confident with it than to attempt an integrated structure now. If you are going with paired paragraphs like you have there, my suggestion would be to argue about the textual conversations occurring two-way. This means that as much as Keats initiates conversation about one value and Campion continues to communicate it to us in her film, it also means that Campion's film invites us to revisit Keats in order to complete our understanding of their intertextual connections. To mirror this kind of argument, I would rearrange the structure as so;

Value/Theme 1
Para 1: Keats Poem 1
Para 2: Bright Star
Value/Theme 2
Para 3: Bright Star
Para 4: Keats Poem 2

At the end of your second and fourth paragraphs, you would use synthesis to link both texts together. Something like "While Keats' representations of mortality were indeed informed by Romantic aesthetics, Campion reimagines them in the film medium to project the relevance of the poet's ideas in a contemporary setting" would work for Para 2. On the other hand, something like "Thus, Bright Star not only continues Keats' conversation on beauty but also starts a new one, one of which urges audiences to revisit Keats' poetry wearing a new lens and enhances an appreciation for the natural world." This way, you can acknowledge that the texts are conversing with each other, as opposed to Keats just being the springboard or Campion's film just being a response to it as a result. Hope that makes sense and let me know if you have any other questions!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 10:33:08 am »
Hey, Emily!

Not a problem at all if you want to stick to individual texts for your paragraphs. It's wiser to do that if you're more confident with it than to attempt an integrated structure now. If you are going with paired paragraphs like you have there, my suggestion would be to argue about the textual conversations occurring two-way. This means that as much as Keats initiates conversation about one value and Campion continues to communicate it to us in her film, it also means that Campion's film invites us to revisit Keats in order to complete our understanding of their intertextual connections. To mirror this kind of argument, I would rearrange the structure as so;

Value/Theme 1
Para 1: Keats Poem 1
Para 2: Bright Star
Value/Theme 2
Para 3: Bright Star
Para 4: Keats Poem 2

At the end of your second and fourth paragraphs, you would use synthesis to link both texts together. Something like "While Keats' representations of mortality were indeed informed by Romantic aesthetics, Campion reimagines them in the film medium to project the relevance of the poet's ideas in a contemporary setting" would work for Para 2. On the other hand, something like "Thus, Bright Star not only continues Keats' conversation on beauty but also starts a new one, one of which urges audiences to revisit Keats' poetry wearing a new lens and enhances an appreciation for the natural world." This way, you can acknowledge that the texts are conversing with each other, as opposed to Keats just being the springboard or Campion's film just being a response to it as a result. Hope that makes sense and let me know if you have any other questions!

Angelina  ;D

Yes thank you that makes so much sense!!
Just another question on that, so would I talk about how Campion urges us to revisit Keats' poetry (as in the conversation is two-way) in my poetry paragraphs or in my film paragraphs, if that makes sense?

Thanks again :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 11:15:17 am »
Yes thank you that makes so much sense!!
Just another question on that, so would I talk about how Campion urges us to revisit Keats' poetry (as in the conversation is two-way) in my poetry paragraphs or in my film paragraphs, if that makes sense?

Thanks again :)

Hey, Emily!

You would talk about that point in the film paragraph and then use the poetry paragraph afterwards to confirm how that theme/value has been enhanced in meaning because of the film by analysing the poem. A final sentence in that poetry paragraph would be a nice way to wrap that point up and reaffirm that the conversation is happening two-way. Hopefully that clarifies that  :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

emilyyyyyyy

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 11:34:38 am »
Thanks! Just to see if I understand correctly, would my structure look a little like this (I'll use specific examples):
Para 1: Keats' To Autumn - immortality of nature and temporality of life
Para 2: Bright Star film - make clear links to the same values in Keats' To Autumn + two-way conversation
Para 3: Keats' Ode to a Nightingale - immorality of nature and existential ideas
Para 4: Bright Star film - make clear clears to the same values in Keat's Ode to a Nightingale + two-way conversation

Sorry for the multiple replies :)

romyss

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 02:25:13 pm »
Would we also be able to do this with The Tempest and Hag-seed?
For example
Value/Theme 1: Expression/evolution and manipulation of power
P1: The Tempest -> Shakespeare's exploration of this theme and the consequences
P2: Hag-seed -> re-imagination for contemporary setting
Value/Theme 2: Power of Theatre + Imprisonment
P3: Hag-seed -> how theatrical aspects of the text reveal multiple forms of imprisonment
P4: The Tempest -> how H/S representation of theme prompts responders to return to text with renewed knowledge and understanding
Thank you!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 02:42:12 pm »
+2
Thanks! Just to see if I understand correctly, would my structure look a little like this (I'll use specific examples):
Para 2: Bright Star film - make clear links to the same values in Keats' To Autumn + two-way conversation
Para 3: Keats' Ode to a Nightingale - immorality of nature and existential ideas
Para 4: Bright Star film - make clear clears to the same values in Keat's Ode to a Nightingale + two-way conversation

Sorry for the multiple replies :)

Hey, Emily!

Not a problem at all! I was looking more at something like this;

Para 3: Bright Star film - immorality of nature and existential ideas
Para 4: Keats' Ode to a Nightingale- make clear links to the same values in Bright Star + two-way conversation

This way, you can have a turning point in the essay with the topic sentence in Para 3 along the lines of "However, as Keats' poetry influenced Bright Star, so too does Bright Star's exploration of existentialism shed new light on Keats' original poems." What you've got there works too though so do what you feel is most comfortable. As long as you're engaging in the two-way conversation idea, you'll be set!

Would we also be able to do this with The Tempest and Hag-seed?
For example
Value/Theme 1: Expression/evolution and manipulation of power
P1: The Tempest -> Shakespeare's exploration of this theme and the consequences
P2: Hag-seed -> re-imagination for contemporary setting
Value/Theme 2: Power of Theatre + Imprisonment
P3: Hag-seed -> how theatrical aspects of the text reveal multiple forms of imprisonment
P4: The Tempest -> how H/S representation of theme prompts responders to return to text with renewed knowledge and understanding
Thank you!

And hey, romyss!

You could definitely apply this to The Tempest and Hag-seed pairing as well. How you've outlined it below demonstrates it perfectly  :) Love the themes you've chosen as well to explore so great work there! All the best to the both of you with Mod A, English the exams :D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-