Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 09:52:43 pm

Author Topic: Taking small steps to better look after myself  (Read 2645 times)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Taking small steps to better look after myself
« on: December 13, 2018, 02:01:27 pm »
+13
I need some help to make sure I'm looking after myself a-okay! :)

I've often found myself in the ever-repeating cycle of not eating/sleeping too little/leaving my hair unbrushed for a few weeks at a time and I really want to kick these habits!

In the past week, I've made sure to get at least 8 hours of zzz's (I got 10.5 hours the other night. 10/10 refreshed :D ), and today I've made sure to have breakfast (banana bread) and lunch (homemade chicken nuggets- cooked by my sister) and dad's making pasta for dinner (dinner is a family meal-time at home).
I also found the guts to brush my hair out this morning after a week. It was painful, but mostly successful- there's still a knot (in a rather annoying spot) that wouldn't budge after an hour's brushing though, so I'm going to have to get mum (queen of ridding knots) to help me out on that later oops!

I'll be tracking my progress here, and hopefully I kick these habits! :))
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: Taking small steps to better look after myself
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 02:06:54 pm »
+8
Love that you're putting attention into taking care of yourself - if we keep each other accountable I'm sure the journey will go swifter <3

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 12:56:09 pm »
+11
Update:
I've been doing pretty well, keeping myself looked after. However over Christmas and right up to yesterday I lapsed on the whole lack of sleep/not eating more than twice a day game again.

I'm still going to try to push myself to get back into the good habits, but it'll take a bit of hard work from me- heck I even had breakfast today and I'm currently cooking lunch after telling myself to stop being lazy, so hopefully I stay a little more on track from here on out! :)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 09:00:42 pm »
+13
Another update: admittedly, I've had a number of days recently where I haven't been sleeping/eating well, but I'm slowly improving on that- bit by bit! :)

Today I was up in Toolangi (I feel like I've said that a million times since about 6:30 this morning oops), and that required a real early wakeup. I did however end up having brekky, lunch and dinner- as well as morning and afternoon tea. And quite a few bottles of water (some of that water was consumed on my way home because I felt motion sick :( ). Which is a massive improvement as to what I've been doing!

I've also started to walk around more and appreciate the scenery I have around me and it actually really makes me happy- heck I even really enjoyed a walk down Royal Park, heading towards uni this morning; something that is usually a mundane task! :)

Hope y'all are well <3

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 01:37:02 pm »
+12
Just a quick update because I really have nothing much to say haha- I've been eating fairly regularly and sleeping 8-9h/night, which is a good sign. I've also taken every op I can atm to bond with my fam- whether it be a quick walk to the shops or a longer walk, which has been pretty cool ^-^

Goals for the next fortnight:
- Tidy my room (well my side at least- I share with one of my sisters and refuse to touch her side for the fear of my life haha) and desk
- Push my sleep schedule to be back in line with what I need for uni (I've been sleeping at 11/12 most nights recently, I need to get this back to 9:30/10 for Oweek as those are early starts for mentors like me haha)

Goals for the month:
- Track my spending because I'm really prone to buying stuff I really don't need
- Think more positively
- Keep regularly eating and drinking water

Hope y'all are going well <3

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
  • This is my text until I find another poetic quote
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 10:52:24 am »
+2
Just stumbled across your little blog here, you helped me heaps the other day with my journal and I intend on doing the same. just read through all your updates and you should be so proud of the progress you are already making with all of it. Good on you Insanipi! If you ever need a friendly hand, I am here xx

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2019, 09:16:40 pm »
+8
Time for an update!

For my fortnight goals, I said this:
Goals for the next fortnight:
- Tidy my room (well my side at least- I share with one of my sisters and refuse to touch her side for the fear of my life haha) and desk
- Push my sleep schedule to be back in line with what I need for uni (I've been sleeping at 11/12 most nights recently, I need to get this back to 9:30/10 for Oweek as those are early starts for mentors like me haha)

What really happened:
- I did tidy my room up, I even regained back my desk! (This was a tough job to motivate myself for, and the rubbish around my desk was becoming a fire hazard, so that's fixed!)
- I lost a whole night's worth of sleep last week. Oops. That was mainly due to me not being able to sleep/needing to be asleep early and not keeping track of time.

Goals for this fortnight:
- Bring myself back into the uni workflow
- Get my sleep cycles right!

Goals for the month:
- Track my spending because I'm really prone to buying stuff I really don't need
- Think more positively
- Keep regularly eating and drinking water
Progress thus far:
- I know where I'm spending too much money at- it seems to be food (i.e. Pies or Sushi where I could've relied on free food or food from home), and random purchases at whim (such as Zox bands. I mean they *are* pretty and cool though!)
- Positivity: I was really, really struggling with this, but I'm trying my hardest to think of a positive thought every time I have a negative.
- Water: That became an issue in the latter end of last week with the heat, which wasn't helpful as I went on a boat cruise/party on Friday.I woke up v dehydrated (and maybe slightly a little hungover oops)
- Food: well, we know I'm eating well (@Poet and @MB_ saw me eat today!) given the amount of food I've eaten (including vegie sausages. Those were a little dry but still edible.)

Stay amazing fam <3

(@Wolfqueen, that's so sweet, thanks! ^-^ )

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 10:29:23 pm »
+4
Bumping because I've gone into the bad habit of relying on (shortbread) cookies and/or carrot cake and/or sometimes just a hot choc/coffee for breakfast (at uni) and I kinda need to fix that because waiting until 10am (or later) to eat is bad.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2020, 11:09:31 pm »
+2
Bumping because I've gone into the bad habit of relying on (shortbread) cookies and/or carrot cake and/or sometimes just a hot choc/coffee for breakfast (at uni) and I kinda need to fix that because waiting until 10am (or later) to eat is bad.
I'm big on always having breakfast and am glad I'm in the habit of always having it - my go to are toast and/or porridge (plus obligatory cup of tea).

What do you think is the main reason behind you not eating breakfast? Is it time (like, having to rush to uni etc) or is it more you don't feel hungry/like eating in the morning? I know there's a lot of people that can't really eat first thing in the morning.