Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 05:24:03 pm

Author Topic: Taking things piece by piece- a little story.  (Read 953 times)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
Taking things piece by piece- a little story.
« on: October 03, 2018, 10:27:19 am »
+14
Story time:
A few days ago my 6 year old sister opened a 100 piece jigsaw puzzle that a friend gave her for her birthday. She was really excited to get started and got a few pieces together and then got a little stuck and she came up to me. She told me "I can't do it". I told her she could and asked if she wanted some help (which she was happy about because y'know little siblings crave time with older siblings aha). We separated the leftover border pieces from  the inside pieces and started building the border, piece by piece. She got really excited that we were making really good progress. Eventually, we got to the inside pieces, and again she told me "she couldn't do it", my response to her was to take it piece by piece until it is finished. Again, helping her, we got there and she was pretty chuffed with the result and she got there with a little help and hard work.

Nice story Lou, but what's this got to do with me?
1. It's okay to take study/a project/assignments etc bit by bit- similar to taking it piece by piece in a jigsaw puzzle.
2. It's always okay to ask for help- especially if you're stuck.
3. You can always do it! Even if you currently don't think so- in the end you'll be surprised with your ability to persevere!
4. Celebrate the small successes- it keeps you 'on a roll' and motivates you to keep going.
5. Hard work and determination will always pay off in the long run.

Hopefully this brings a little motivation to y'all! You've all got this! :) <3
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
Re: Taking things piece by piece- a little story.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 10:42:26 am »
+8
As someone who has done many jigsaw puzzles I think that is a good way to think about everything.

I have compared doing puzzles to doing school work and I have a few things to add.

The best part of doing a puzzle is when you have been working on it for a while you just take a step back to look at the progress you made. When working on anything you usually don't realise just how much of it you have accomplished until you take a step back and look at just how much has been done which then acts as a motivating factor to keep going and finishing off the puzzle. We can't let ourselves just stress out about having so much to do before the exams and at least for me it helps to remember all the work which has already been completed in my schooling in the past
This could apply to the current year 12s, the past 13 years we have been slowly plodding along getting each small thing completed 1 by 1 and we are now on the last little section of the puzzle where everything just comes together. That day when we finish the last exam the 'puzzle' of high school will be finished.

Starting from today I have an idea for myself, I'm gonna count the amount of pieces left in my puzzle I am currently working on and divide that by 46, every day between now and the exams I am going to put that many pieces of the puzzle together.
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney