Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:56:12 am

Author Topic: whys' VCE journal  (Read 79738 times)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
whys' VCE journal
« on: February 16, 2019, 10:56:43 pm »
+28
✳  DIFFICULT DOES NOT MEAN IMPOSSIBLE  ✳

Hey, it's whys! I'm graduating as part of the class of 2020 (this year is all about learning to focus on your vision and look ahead! haha get it? sorry I'll stop now). I've changed the name of my journal and the contents of this first post since 2019 to better reflect who I am and who I want to be (well, also the formatting on this was a tad bit cringey and I wanted to make the name of my journal shorter haha). My overall goals haven't changed from last year - I still want to get into medicine (how original!), aim for a 99+ ATAR and do well on the UCAT (95+ percentile, i'm looking at you). In year 11, I did 3/4 psych and food studies, which gave me a pretty good insight on how VCE works and what I should be doing to do well in year twelve, the big year. I'm super nervous for chem and english the most, since you have no choice but to do well in english, and chem is a whole other story (basically, I suck at chem). I was slightly disappointed with my performance in year 11 as I felt I did poorly in food studies, however I've moved on from that I want to do the best that I can in year 12 - no slacking off like year 11! I'd like to document my journey on here so I have somewhere to look back and reflect on my personal VCE journey and what I went through (we stan highschool nostalgia, amiright) and somewhere to put my goals so I feel motivated to drive through and pursue them.

year 11, 2019
In year 11, I completed two 3/4s - psychology and food studies. At the beginning of the year, I set myself a goal of achieving in the high 40s for both of these subjects. However, due to my neglect and lack of dedication, I only achieved a 42 in food studies. Psychology was a better outcome, in which I got a raw 50. I know now that having no motivation, slacking off in studies and procrastinating can lead to detrimental outcomes. I feel better prepared to tackle year 12 with an unwavering mindset of determination.

2020 goals~
(these are just the overall ones, I have a whole page of small and big goals on my table that I wrote on the 1st of jan)
1. 99+ ATAR
2. 95+ percentile UCAT
3. 50 hours of volunteering for St John
4. Exercise everyday and eat healthy (we all know this isn't happening anyways LOL)
5. 120 hours on L's

I hope you guys achieve your goals for this year - I hope I do and I'm super pumped for the journey yet to come.
Make 2020 YOUR year!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 03:59:12 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
Re: The Adventures of VCE | whys' journal
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 11:15:52 pm »
+6
Hey! I look forward to reading your journal :)

And setting goals for your study via your last post is a pretty studious "procrastination" activity (and its a Saturday night) so don't be too hard on yourself. You're only starting your 3/4 'journey' now and it'll take some adjusting.. doing 1 or 2 3/4 subjects in year 11 is a really great learning experience IMO, regardless of what scores you achieve, and (for me at least) will make next year a lot less daunting.. so make the most of it! (And don't put too much pressure on yourself!!)
I studied pretty similar subjects to you but something I didn't get exposed to much was food studies. Do you have a passion/talent in cooking? What's the subject like?
Also, what interests you about med? It's great that you're aiming high.

Anyway, best of luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask :D
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 08:28:18 am »
+5
Hey!

Why med?
Do you have any extracurricular activities, work etc?

Seriously wouldn't stress about some mild procrastinate this early in the year. It took me a while to get into the rigorous study I had by the end of year 11 (and I still scored within your goals for this year).
On a sidenote: I like the creative way you've styled your quote :)

Anyway, best of luck for this year and your VCE journey - it'll surely have its ups and downs and I hope you weather them well :)

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 11:12:03 am »
+5
I studied pretty similar subjects to you but something I didn't get exposed to much was food studies. Do you have a passion/talent in cooking? What's the subject like?
I can totally understand! It's not a common subject I've heard of people doing, and at my school the 1/2 class and 3/4 class has to be put together because of the low numbers in each (there's probably 15 altogether, in 1/2 and 3/4). I guess I'm just a massive foodie and I've always liked cooking too. I'm more of a baker but I can cook savoury too. :) I actually had no idea what to expect about the subject, and over the holidays I made the mistake of learning the all the content in the textbook, which seemed like a great idea at the time, but I've forgotten everything and it was such a waste of the holidays. I'm still a bit nervous because we have pracs often (cooking), and a lot of the content has to be self-learned. The good thing is it's not hard to understand and it's very straight-forward. The only problem is there are no resources for the subject that I've found as it's not commonly chosen, which sucks. There's only one textbook for the study design, and it doesn't match it well. But the content is enjoyable, and overall I'm glad I did it. Although it does have some boring stuff (for me), I like most the content and it seems easy enough (for now).

Also, what interests you about med?
Why med?
Actually, my interest in the medical field began when I was around 6 (young, right?!). We had a family friend who was a doctor, whom I vaguely remember now, but I do clearly have the memory of her being a role model to me. She was a practicing GP, and I recall this one time when we (me and my parents) went to her clinic to visit her. On that day, she gave me one of those moving cube things (I found the exact one I have online here!). I was only 6 at the time, so most of the words on there were like a foreign language to me. Despite there being complex words that I had no idea about, I was intrigued by the actual images (and the prospect of moving the cubes around, because it was fun). As I grew, I began slowly understanding what the words all meant. It's actually on my table right now, and I can't thank the doctor that gave it to me enough, because it's something that has sentimental value to me and sparked my interest. Obviously, my 'dream career' changed often in primary school; I remember once I wanted to be jockey, and firefighter, and a vet. But there was always something about that cube that brought me back to it.

Now, I have much more knowledge about what a doctor actually is and what they do, and I definitely know now that it's my dream career. I think most people now overlook the trust between a doctor and their patient, as it's such a normal thing to go to the doctor if you have a fever, or a cold. I think it's amazing that an individual is able to go to someone they don't know at a very vulnerable point of time in their life, and trust that person to help them get better. It might sound silly, but that trust has earned my respect for doctors. To be able to trust in someone like that really means something, and I'd like that someone to be me one day. Work experience only intrigued and inspired me even more, as for one of the days I was lucky enough to be with the surgeon and nurses in the surgery room and got to see a few surgeries myself (plus I was wearing spuds!). The surgeon was also kind enough to explain what exactly he was doing and the apparatus he used. Just being with the patients at work experience was amazing, and visiting them and talking to them was super fun. I reckon my favourite department was the emergency department, as it was pretty busy and so many different people came in with very different cases (and there was lots of running around to do!)

I know undergrad med is tough, but I want to give it a shot and see where I can go. One day, I want to be able to look myself in the mirror and know that I've helped so many lives as a doctor, no matter how small that help may have been  :D

Do you have any extracurricular activities, work etc?
Yeah! I've been dancing for (I think?) around 11-ish years. Maybe 12. I can't remember (oops). I've also been a junior member of St John Ambulance for just over a year, and I hope to continue learning + volunteering there as an adult too. I used to work for around a year at a tuition centre last year, but I unfortunately quit. I used to do a lot of other stuff too, like violin, but I guess I couldn't be bothered practising. Maybe I'll pick it up again later.

EDIT; Does stuff at school count? If so, I'm a member of the creative writing club, our school's charity fundraising team and our school's environmental sustainability team.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:36:19 am by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
  • This is my text until I find another poetic quote
  • Respect: +151
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 12:13:52 pm »
+1
Reading all this so far makes me excited for your journey ahead. I too have a passion for this sort of area and it would be amazing to see someone else experience and journey. Good on ya for making a journal, I started mine not long ago but already love it! Cant wait to see more why's! Wishing you luck xx

Evolio

• MOTM: MAY 20
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +485
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 12:17:01 pm »
+1
My ultimate goal in VCE is to get an ATAR
above 99 and get into undergrad med at monash.
This is so cool! We have the same goal!
Can't wait to follow your progress across this year and the next!
Looking forward to reading your journal.
 ;D ;D

EDIT:
You go to St John! Me too! (Excuse my excitement. I get excited very easily.)  ;D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 12:24:29 pm by Evolio »

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 01:16:40 pm »
+4
It’s excellent that you have already had experience with doctors and surgeons. Many kids go into medicine with a super romanticised view about what doctors do, what their lifestyle is like and how much they earn. Your passion for Medicine is lovely to hear.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions that I may be able to answer.

Good luck for VCE and beyond :)
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 02:56:48 pm »
+3
I too have a passion for this sort of area and it would be amazing to see someone else experience and journey.
Hello there! It's nice to meet someone with a similar passion. I'll probably be reading your journal whenever I get the time too as well, it's interesting to see others' experiences.

You go to St John! Me too! (Excuse my excitement. I get excited very easily.)  ;D
Another fellow St John member! Nice to meet you. And no worries, I'm pretty excited I've met someone who goes there too. It's a great place. Unfortunately I haven't gone on any duties yet (despite going there for over a year, rip) so I hope to go on a lot this year and the next.

It’s excellent that you have already had experience with doctors and surgeons. Many kids go into medicine with a super romanticised view about what doctors do, what their lifestyle is like and how much they earn. Your passion for Medicine is lovely to hear.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions that I may be able to answer.
I was actually worried at the beginning that doctor 'lifestyles' would dissuade me from the career, but luckily I didn't and instead found the job quite intriguing. Thanks so much, I'll keep that in mind if I ever have any doubts about anything!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 07:51:15 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 09:55:13 pm »
+8
────────────────────── MONDAY ──────────────────────
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It's just another mundane monday... For starters I woke up early this morning to study for
my methods test today. Ended up just making my reference sheet. I didn't study for it, and
neither did I do any provided practice tests on it. My bad  ;D. Anyways, in the morning, I had
psych, so it was a great start to the day subject-wise. We also had an assembly later in the
day. Our guest speaker was Dr Susan Carland, which was awesome. She had a super duper
inspiring speech and that I got something out of. I later had my methods test. Didn't find it
difficult or anything; it was surprisingly easy. I feel like it's because it's only the first test, and
the content was just expanding on content we already know. Hopefully my result isn't too
bad despite not studying for it, although I should have. I guess I was just neglecting it in
favour of my 3/4's, which I maybe shouldn't have done. In the evening, I went to St John. It
was cool, we learnt about the difference between a heart attack and cardiac arrest (which I
somehow always end up forgetting) and how to treat an unconscious patient who isn't
breathing. It's stuff we've already done, and we're just doing it again to remember it from
last year. I guess the day was pretty good for a monday. I felt good after the maths test -
it was something I could finally tick off. I also kinda just realised that my formatting would
probably look horrible when viewing from a phone, but oh well, you always gotta sacrifice
something for something good. After writing this post, I'm probably going to go to sleep
and try wake up at at least 6 tomorrow. Let's see how that goes! Oh, and I'm gonna read
my flashcards for psych and food studies; hopefully some of the information is absorbed
by my brain and ends up being info I can actually recall. I heard somewhere that stuff
you read just before bed will be remembered better than stuff you learn throughout the
day. I should probably also stick up my psych posters somewhere I can actually see them,
not on a wall that I never look at  :P. Anyways, goodnight for now! Maybe I'll write tomorrow.

─────────────────────18.02.19 ────────────────────
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 05:43:34 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 08:11:00 pm »
+6
────────────────────── TUESDAY ──────────────────────
Woke up kinda early - at 5:20am, but I only got out of bed at like 7am because I was too
lazy to get out of my warm, cozy bed. I was nervous the whole day because our teacher
had sent a message to the whole class saying that he had marked our maths tests already
(I know right?! It's only been a day since we did it) and that we would get our results back.
I was really scared and was convinced I did really bad and was dreading period 4 the whole
day because of that. Ended up somehow getting the highest mark in the class. I thought he
was joking when he told me my score. I know I could have done way better because I
had a mind blank in the middle of the test and forgot the distance of a line formula. Ugh...
If I got those marks I would have gotten full marks, but I'm pretty happy with my score
otherwise. I also exercised when I came home from school at around 7pm, so that was
really refreshing for my mind.

I read here on AN that so many people stayed back at school to study and came home
a little late. I decided to try it out today, and ended up being much more productive. I
guess it was mainly because after around 4:30pm, most people are out of the school and
it gets really quiet, which is ideal for me to do my work. I did more work than I would have
done if I went home, but I still feel like it wasn't enough. I feel like I should be getting so much
more done in 3 hours of time, but I don't know how much I should be getting done. I feel
like I'm a really slow worker, but maybe I'm not. I was just wondering - what do you guys do
/did do when you did your VCE after school? What was your study routine, and how much
could you get done in the time you studied? For me, I was only able to complete one maths
exercise for methods and a psych chapter test (and that was in 2 and a half hours). If I keep
working at this rate, I'll probably fail my sacs. Maybe I'm a little pessimistic, but I have no
idea how much work I should be getting done/how much is a good amount for the day.
I also attempted waking up early (5:30-6am-ish) and doing at least an hour of work in the
morning, but I still don't feel like I'm doing much and everyone else seems to be cruising
through their work really quickly. I'm not sure on how I should maximise my study time
outside of school, and I know I really need to improve to get the scores I'm aiming for.

Your thoughts on this?

P.S. My parents are coming home with pizza for dinner today  :)

EDIT; I thought keeping a journal would be hard, but boy was I wrong.

─────────────────────19.02.19 ────────────────────
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:48:46 pm by whys »
psych [50] bio [50]

smamsmo22

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +34
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 08:50:38 pm »
+3
I was just wondering - what do you guys do
/did do when you did your VCE after school? What was your study routine, and how much
could you get done in the time you studied? For me, I was only able to complete one maths
exercise for methods and a psych chapter test (and that was in 2 and a half hours). If I keep
working at this rate, I'll probably fail my sacs. Maybe I'm a little pessimistic, but I have no
idea how much work I should be getting done/how much is a good amount for the day.

Hey, I studied at school after school pretty much every night; we had a silent study room which was definitely more conducive to productivity as opposed to my house full of people and distractions!!
For me, every night was different and was based on what needed to be done; I didn't have a planned subject-based timetable or anything, I did what was most important. Generally this meant getting homework/unfinished tasks done which were assigned and to be checked, as well as studying for whatever assessments were the fastest approaching.
In saying that, some nights were definitely not as simple as it seems and I can assure you there were plenty of times where I had similar concerns to you. Some tasks I'd expected to be simple would end up taking me forever and I'd end up completing 1 out of the 5 things I had planned and wonder why I was so slow and incompetent  ::) In retrospect, I can safely say everything turned out okay and some things just take longer than others.. putting yourself down about it and/or stressing is never gonna help. I can certainly say a couple of slower days are a reason to think you're going to fail your SACs!! If you're consistently finding you're not getting the work done that you have to get done then perhaps reassess how productive you're being, but since it's so early on I wouldn't be too concerned. Some nights you may have to prioritise/rearrange/rush and that's just how it is :)
I don't know if that's very helpful but I could definitely relate to those thoughts about productivity and I managed okay in the end working at my own pace for the most part. Keep me updated though ;D ;D
2018 - VCE - ATAR: 99.75 [English, Chemistry, Methods, French, PE, Bio]
2019 - Monash

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 09:34:46 pm »
+3
────────────────────── TUESDAY ──────────────────────
Woke up kinda early - at 5:20am, but I only got out of bed at like 7am because I was too
lazy to get out of my warm, cozy bed. I was nervous the whole day because our teacher
had sent a message to the whole class saying that he had marked our maths tests already
(I know right?! It's only been a day since we did it) and that we would get our results back.
I was really scared and was convinced I did really bad and was dreading period 4 the whole
day because of that. Ended up somehow getting the highest mark in the class. I thought he
was joking when he told me my score. I know I could have done way better because I
had a mind blank in the middle of the test and forgot the distance of a line formula. Ugh...
If I got those marks I would have gotten full marks, but I'm pretty happy with my score
otherwise. I also exercised when I came home from school at around 7pm, so that was
really refreshing for my mind.

I read here on AN that so many people stayed back at school to study and came home
a little late. I decided to try it out today, and ended up being much more productive. I
guess it was mainly because after around 4:30pm, most people are out of the school and
it gets really quiet, which is ideal for me to do my work. I did more work than I would have
done if I went home, but I still feel like it wasn't enough. I feel like I should be getting so much
more done in 3 hours of time, but I don't know how much I should be getting done. I feel
like I'm a really slow worker, but maybe I'm not. I was just wondering - what do you guys do
I also attempted waking up early (5:30-6am-ish) and doing at least an hour of work in the
morning, but I still don't feel like I'm doing much and everyone else seems to be cruising
through their work really quickly. I'm not sure on how I should maximise my study time
outside of school, and I know I really need to improve to get the scores I'm aiming for.

Your thoughts on this?

P.S. My parents are coming home with pizza for dinner today  :)

EDIT; I thought keeping a journal would be hard, but boy was I wrong.

─────────────────────19.02.19 ────────────────────
First off, OMG WELL DONE! I for one suck at math and I am so proud of you why's! don't be too hard on yourself about the full marks and the mind blank. sometimes these things happen. You did your best and look where that got you! from ANer to ANer, I am proud! your so whysssss!  ;D.

With studying, don't push yourself too hard, prioritise your homework and take breaks every now and then, a few people have given me advice and I hope it ok that I share it onto you! Take frequent breaks, chewing gum while studying helps concentrate (idk why...it works for me), zone out, maybe listen to some slow music, go for a walk and find a place to study like a park bench.

Pizza! I had a salad! I am jealous! you enjoy that bud! xx

Ikr! I started my journal not too long ago and I cant stop wanting to post!

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2019, 05:25:51 pm »
+2
Hey, I studied at school after school pretty much every night; we had a silent study room which was definitely more conducive to productivity as opposed to my house full of people and distractions!!
If you don't mind me asking and don't mind answering, how long did you stay at school after school for?

You did your best and look where that got you! from ANer to ANer, I am proud! your so whysssss!  ;D.
Heh... I've had that pun a few times  :D

With studying, don't push yourself too hard, prioritise your homework and take breaks every now and then, a few people have given me advice and I hope it ok that I share it onto you! Take frequent breaks, chewing gum while studying helps concentrate (idk why...it works for me), zone out, maybe listen to some slow music, go for a walk and find a place to study like a park bench.
Thanks for the advice!

Pizza! I had a salad! I am jealous! you enjoy that bud! xx
Haha.. well at least salad is healthier.
psych [50] bio [50]

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 09:53:34 pm »
+4
────────────────────── SATURDAY ──────────────────────
2 days ago, I officially had my first official VCE breakdown! I had no idea why I was so emotional
but I was what I was, and I knew it was going to happen sometime. Just didn't realise it would be
this soon :-\. I guess it was mainly me being scared of my sacs and I was so nervous and scared
that I'd somehow fail both (as in, fail my expectations/aims). Now, I'm focusing my time on actual
study, not fretting about not studying. I remember that day (thursday) I left my laptop charger
at school and when I realised it wasn't at home and my laptop was on 0%, that's when I sort of
broke down, I guess (at our school everything is laptop-based and we do 90% of our work on it).
I learnt two important things from that day - you can either live with what you got and sulk about
it, or you can take what you have, change it, and run with it. I know from now on, I'll definitely be
doing the latter ;D. I'm actually glad I did breakdown, because I learnt an important lesson from it.

Anyways, today was pretty alright. Woke up, had dance in the morning. Came home in time for
lunch, then played a video game for about an hour. I studied until I think around 6:30pm, then
I had chem tuition at night, so I went there. Pretty normal saturday - nothing particularly great
happened today. Oh wait - I started having an annoying headache since like 7pm and it hasn't
gone yet; guess it wants to keep annoying me for the rest of the night. Hopefully I can wake up
early tomorrow, maybe around 6, so I can get some quality study done when the house is quiet
and I don't have my mum yelling for no apparent reason like mums do, or my sister crying in
one room, or shouting in another, or laughing very loudly and annoyingly in another, or my dad
talking very obnoxiously loudly on the phone to some random friend. This is exactly why I tried
out studying at school - because it's noise-free and practically distraction-free too. I'm so glad
I started studying at school, because even if my pace is much slower, it feels like I'm so much
more productive than at home and the information actually sinks in. Now, I'll probably jam out
to some Cardi B or Kehlani before catching some zzz's. Have a good night everyone! I'm out x

─────────────────────23.02.19 ────────────────────
psych [50] bio [50]

w0lfqu33n89

• Trendsetter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 11:14:47 pm »
2 days ago, I officially had my first official VCE breakdown! I had no idea why I was so emotional
but I was what I was, and I knew it was going to happen sometime. Just didn't realise it would be
this soon :-\. I guess it was mainly me being scared of my sacs and I was so nervous and scared
that I'd somehow fail both (as in, fail my expectations/aims). Now, I'm focusing my time on actual
study, not fretting about not studying.

Anyways, today was pretty alright. Woke up, had dance in the morning. Came home in time for
lunch, then played a video game for about an hour.

Now, I'll probably jam out
to some Cardi B or Kehlani before catching some zzz's. Have a good night everyone! I'm out x[/size]
─────────────────────23.02.19 ────────────────────

Hey Whys! completely understand how its like to be stressed about SAC's, I literally started shaking before mine. turns out its not even that bad, teachers just make it seem like a big deal, as long as you study and are confident about the content there is no need to stress, besides, like you said, you are studying more which is great! If you are like me and get stressed in SAC's take your bottle of water and when you feel yourself getting overwhelmed, or feel the urge to look at the clock, take a sip, take a few seconds to yourself and then continue. you've got this! x

Your a dancer? nice! what type of dance/s do you do? I am intrigued!

Party with Cardiiiiii! Yass! no better way to spend a Saturday!