Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:02:48 pm

Author Topic: What exactly is a pre-selection kit?  (Read 4235 times)  Share 

Rosalice01

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
What exactly is a pre-selection kit?
« on: May 26, 2018, 03:13:18 pm »
Hi, I'm hoping to apply for RMIT's Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) and they select students based on pre-selection kits and folio interviews. I'm from Sydney and most of the unis (that i know of) base things on ATARs, so I'm not sure exactly how to make a pre-selection kit. What should it include? What quality of work is expected from someone who just finished Year 12? Is there any particular theme that the pre-selection kit must be based on? Are there criteria/guidelines? I've tried looking for examples of pre-selection kits but I haven't found many. If anyone is willing to share their pre-selection kits, that would be great!

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: What exactly is a pre-selection kit?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 01:59:19 pm »
+2
Hi, I'm hoping to apply for RMIT's Bachelor of Design (Communication Design) and they select students based on pre-selection kits and folio interviews. I'm from Sydney and most of the unis (that i know of) base things on ATARs, so I'm not sure exactly how to make a pre-selection kit. What should it include? What quality of work is expected from someone who just finished Year 12? Is there any particular theme that the pre-selection kit must be based on? Are there criteria/guidelines? I've tried looking for examples of pre-selection kits but I haven't found many. If anyone is willing to share their pre-selection kits, that would be great!
Hey Rosealice01!

I almost tried out for RMIT's Architecture and Design course back in the day and wound up having to give it up because (1) I'd found it just before exams and (2) the deadline was within 10 days of me knowing about the pre-selection task. I did try out of Monash's Architecture course and actually received an interview (the 2nd round), never knowing whether I would've actually received that offer (long story short, it was my 5th preference and I was offered my 1st preference). 

The pre-selection kit usually comes with a prompt or instructions - or at least, this was the case with the architecture course - and you'll have to present some of your best designs and pieces to them to decide whether they allow you though to the interview stage. Since this is for Comm Design, I have an inkling that you might not have many instructions, just an address. In the case that they give you no prompts, submit some of your best communication design pieces to the provided address to just impress them. If they do, they'll want something that fits the prompt and will impress them. From my previous experience, there wasn't much in the terms of guidelines; you were given free reign except for 'stick to the prompt' and do your best work. There's also the unsaid rule of being able to submit it via post, so perhaps it may be best if you decide on something that isn't fragile or difficult to handle i.e. probably no sculptures and 3D models. For the architecture course, we were also given the guideline that it should be no larger than an A3 sheet with the instructions printed to it, but I'm not sure if this will also apply to Comm Design.

I know my advice is not so helpful nor specific to Comm Design, but I hope that helps. 
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread