Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 02:58:04 am

Author Topic: The HSC is over! What now?  (Read 6468 times)  Share 

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
The HSC is over! What now?
« on: November 07, 2016, 09:58:15 pm »
+9
As everyone has discussed on the Post-HSC effects forum, it feels really weird right now. So much build up, for such an instant relief. I totally empathise with those feelings because I definitely felt the same way after my exams. It was a combination feeling of "ok...it's out of my hands now, this feels good" and also "My life has fallen to pieces and it's all beyond repair."

Work
If you already have a job, now is a great time to pick up more shifts. I don't recommend jumping into full time work, because I know friends who did this and found it to be quite exhausting. Nonetheless, easing into structure again is really helpful in organising your sleeping pattern, supporting your mental health, and promoting your social life (y'know, that thing you thought was extinct). Of course, money is a valuable thing to have. Like, super valuable. As you turn 18 you might be getting a pay rise too - shut your eyes, in the distance, do you hear a faint, "cha ching" sound?

If you don't already have a job - then now is the time! Pull that resume together. Working in retail, I know how much employers love to have people who can work in the day time - because all of their junior staff are at school during the day. Alternatively, a lot of people are looking for aged 18+ employees, for selling cigarettes or alcohol. This doesn't just apply to bar jobs, I work at Woolworths, thus I know these two sentiments to be true. Furthermore, this down time is the best time to get a job, because you have the availability to work, and starting tertiary education, big travels, or full time work next year will mean it will be harder to pick up a part-time job (although it's likely you'd leave a part time job for full time work). So, the time is ripe.

Volunteering
Heidi suggested on one of the forums here a great place to find volunteering places is https://www.volunteer.com.au/. You just pop in your post code and then a bunch of places come up in your nearby area. Coming towards Christmas, the demand for volunteers is high. Volunteer gift wrappers, charity shop assistants, volunteer friends for the elderly, they're all in demand. Of course, there are so many non-Christmas related things in demand too. If you want to put your studies to use, then why not volunteer at your local library if they run HSC sessions, or at your local Primary School if they do peer-mentoring programs, or, right here on ATAR Notes! The next cohort is coming through and we'd love your contributions.

Volunteering is great for your resume, no doubt. Particularly if you volunteer consistently or intensely for a set period of time, rather than ad hoc. It shows similar qualities to employment history: dedication, commitment, integrity, and contribution to a cause or organisation. Of course, there are some benefits that employment has over volunteering, and I'd definitely be inclined to privilege employment in my own life (hello debt), but if volunteering is something you've been looking forward to, then go for it!

Next year!
Aha! What is the HSC even for? For a lot of people, the HSC has had the (potentially overly appointed) emphasis of being the indicator of next year. So, now knowing that nothing is in your hands on more about your marks, you've got to take control of the rest. Now is the time for UAC preferences to be put in properly, especially if you rushed them for the first wave before the price was ramped up. You can change these as many times as you like, but now is the time for serious investigating into what each course actually wants. If you're applying for an Institution not involved in UAC, the same idea applies: do the big research now, get excited, iron out hiccups, and get keen to learn more, YAY LEARNING.

Alternatively, you could be preparing for full time work. If you're starting next week, lol good luck have fun! Get yo' uniform ready! But, if that's your 2017 goal, then start the search! Pull up a stellar resume, do some research, make a LinkedIn and get ready to go job hunting!

Otherwise, if you're travelling, then get your passport ready to go! Instagram is the best place for all of your travel inspo and a Flight Centre is probably in your local Westfield. Bon voyage! #wanderlust

Feeling blue?
If you're having a hard time adjusting, or you feel like the entire fizziness of life has run flat, then reach out. Of course, there are a bunch of little things you can do to try and get your happy jazz back, like exercising, spending time with friends, and finding routine, but it may be a situation of wanting to chat and have an expert lend a hand. Beyond Blue is wonderful, as is HeadSpace. It's normal at this time - even those who wouldn't identify as "stressed" during the HSC have realised that there were actually in a state of extreme pressure, but it was suppressed. So now that it's all over, it's a weird time of reflection and adjusting, but it's all normal. If you ever feel like you aren't coping, ATAR Notes is always a little sanctuary for HSC feels, and there are lots of other people in your lives who are willing to help.

Friendships
I certainly neglected a lot of my friendships during the HSC. Part of that was down to our varying levels of commitment to the HSC, but when it was over, we were all about meeting up in all of the tiniest ways, and it was the perfect pull out of HSC exhaustion.

De-HSC your home.
Pack up your notes and hand them on. Don't burn books people, it is so painful to watch. Pass them on or make some $$ from them! Pull all of your notes together, take the posters down, and it's gone. Done! If you have electronic copies of notes, clean up your desktop icons by uploading them to ATAR Notes here.

Start the post-HSC to-do list!
Getting your license? Going to Sculptures by the Sea? Harry Potter marathon? Youuuuu name it!

ATAR Notes!
If you're looking for a final HSC clean out, then put it all to good by uploading any resource you have - no matter how good or bad you think it is, to ATAR Notes! Even easier, email them to [email protected]. We'd love your contributions!

Otherwise, feel free to hang around on the forums here. I know it seems like so much of your learned knowledge goes to waste at the end of the HSC, but passing on that knowledge to the next cohort can be a really rewarding way of expelling some of that HSC-ness engrained into you in a really healthy release.

It's time... for your post-HSC life. Find some structure, get back to those hobbies you abandoned, join a gym (or at least think about it and then laugh through chewed Doritos), do the STUFF. LIVE THE LIFE. It's back, it's all yours, just make the most of it!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 10:20:19 pm by elysepopplewell »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: The HSC is over! What now?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 10:05:12 pm »
+1
much needed! Thanks Elyse  :D Feels really weird HSC being over as it kinda became my life in the last few months. I'm not so much sad, moreso nostalgic (? i think that is what I'm feeling, for certain subjects anyway hahaha) and very bored which is definately not what I expected, but this has given me a lot of ideas of what to do and keep busy so thank you :)
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 10:32:18 pm »
+2
much needed! Thanks Elyse  :D Feels really weird HSC being over as it kinda became my life in the last few months. I'm not so much sad, moreso nostalgic (? i think that is what I'm feeling, for certain subjects anyway hahaha) and very bored which is definately not what I expected, but this has given me a lot of ideas of what to do and keep busy so thank you :)

I was kind of the same! In 2016, there have been times where I've looked at my own HSC times with ill-thoughts, and other times where I've admired how much dedication I had for one cause - HSC. Keeping busy is key! Before you know it you'll be overflowing with things to do and won't know what to do with yourself to stay afloat :) Life continues..
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

clovvy

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +44
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 05:42:02 pm »
aim for a HD WAM in difficult courses (ideally 90+) to make up for disapppointing atar (at least that's my goal)... so I start studying from now even though HSC is done and most would celebrate..
2018 HSC: 4U maths, 3U maths, Standard English, Chemistry, Physics

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2018, 07:14:33 pm »
+8
aim for a HD WAM in difficult courses (ideally 90+) to make up for disapppointing atar (at least that's my goal)... so I start studying from now even though HSC is done and most would celebrate..

Good on you for wanting to improve!! However:

- Please rest! You will thank me later. You have months before the start of university, that is certainly time to recharge and then still work a bit ahead in January if you feel keen! ;D
- 90+ in courses at university can be insanely difficult. I'm all for ambitious goals, but do understand that 90+ at university is totally different to 90+ at the HSC level. Almost no one gets those sorts of marks. Just want to make sure you know that, because its super common for HSC students to go into university and get discouraged when they get Distinctions. In reality, Distinctions are incredible! But love that you are aiming high ;D