Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 01:35:01 am

Author Topic: Can anyone share their Science -> Med study planner?  (Read 1493 times)  Share 

2017GraduateStudent

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Can anyone share their Science -> Med study planner?
« on: January 17, 2018, 04:09:34 am »
Hello Jaffy here, and I really need assistance with the study planner.

I am planning to pursue MD in the future, but this study planner is confusing me!,
Also, what does it really do when we tick the box "enrol", because I can see the same option for second year science subjects..

mtDNA

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +55
Re: Can anyone share their Science -> Med study planner?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 09:36:24 am »
+1
Hey 2017GraduateStudent,

So I’m not an expert at this since I’m in the exact same position as you; however, I was fiddling through it with advice from a friend who is a second year Melb student. Essentially, you just need to pick and enrol in your 1st year subjects before the ‘census’ date (i.e. the cut off date) - this includes breadth too!

So in the meantime, just research what subjects you want to do (particularly if you are doing science and you have the opportunity to choose) and which ones give you the best one up for the MD -> perhaps there are second year subjects that are required for the MD, yet rely on the completion of 1st year subjects? So these are the things you need to look at before you decide.

Hope this helps!

P.s. If any current student has a greater understanding, please feel free to comment too  ;D

Tutoring by ATAR Notes - learn more!

ATAR: 99.20
Biomedicine (Unimelb): 2018-2020
Doctor of Medicine (Unimelb): 2021-2024

2017GraduateStudent

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 01:17:38 pm »
Hey 2017GraduateStudent,

So I’m not an expert at this since I’m in the exact same position as you; however, I was fiddling through it with advice from a friend who is a second year Melb student. Essentially, you just need to pick and enrol in your 1st year subjects before the ‘census’ date (i.e. the cut off date) - this includes breadth too!

So in the meantime, just research what subjects you want to do (particularly if you are doing science and you have the opportunity to choose) and which ones give you the best one up for the MD -> perhaps there are second year subjects that are required for the MD, yet rely on the completion of 1st year subjects? So these are the things you need to look at before you decide.

Hope this helps!

P.s. If any current student has a greater understanding, please feel free to comment too  ;D

Hello! Thank you for your reply!
For my Planner, I currently have 2 biology subjects that are pre requisite to anatomy and physiology at level 2.
and 2 chemistry subjects (Chem Fundamental and Chem 1), however for Biochemistry in year 2, I must have Chem 2 which I cannot add because I either need to do it at semester 2 or the summer term. 

I also don't have any idea of what other subjects to enroll into other than the Med pre requisites.. any suggestion would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you!

silverfox

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 01:42:01 pm »
+1
Hey, congrats on getting into Unimelb! I'm not an expert at this either since I'm not planning to go into Med, however some of my friends are planning the same pathway you are (who are going into second year now). The only way for you to do Biochemistry is if you do the Fundamentals of Chemistry (Sem 1) --> Chemistry 1 (Sem 2) --> Chemistry 2 (summer) pathway unfortunately, but if you're adamant to study Medicine then you must do this.

Physics might also be complementary, where some of my friends did Physics 1 (Fundamentals or the normal one, depending if you studied Physics at high school or not) and then continue on with Physics 2: Life Sciences & Environment, which is very relevant to medicine/area of interest. My friend did this subject (also studying science) and she said that a lot of the students were mostly biomed kids in that subject! Note that Physics 1 (Fundamentals or normal stream) is a prerequisite.

Also, completing Data Analysis 1 (MAST10010) will be very useful as this subject (only prereq is Maths Methods, study score of > 25) is rather complementary to the Biomed-only subject 'MAST10011 Experimental Design and Data Analysis'. Don't worry too much about second year at the moment, doing Bio and Chem subjects as pre-reqs are sufficient but keep your options open (physics and some maths will be useful). Good luck with it all!  :)
2016: ATAR 99.85
2017-19: BSci (Statistics) @ UniMelb

2017GraduateStudent

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 11:59:21 am »
Hey, congrats on getting into Unimelb! I'm not an expert at this either since I'm not planning to go into Med, however some of my friends are planning the same pathway you are (who are going into second year now). The only way for you to do Biochemistry is if you do the Fundamentals of Chemistry (Sem 1) --> Chemistry 1 (Sem 2) --> Chemistry 2 (summer) pathway unfortunately, but if you're adamant to study Medicine then you must do this.

Physics might also be complementary, where some of my friends did Physics 1 (Fundamentals or the normal one, depending if you studied Physics at high school or not) and then continue on with Physics 2: Life Sciences & Environment, which is very relevant to medicine/area of interest. My friend did this subject (also studying science) and she said that a lot of the students were mostly biomed kids in that subject! Note that Physics 1 (Fundamentals or normal stream) is a prerequisite.

Also, completing Data Analysis 1 (MAST10010) will be very useful as this subject (only prereq is Maths Methods, study score of > 25) is rather complementary to the Biomed-only subject 'MAST10011 Experimental Design and Data Analysis'. Don't worry too much about second year at the moment, doing Bio and Chem subjects as pre-reqs are sufficient but keep your options open (physics and some maths will be useful). Good luck with it all!  :)

Omg! Thank you so much, it helped me so much haha!
I actually put in physics like you suggested, however physics 2:life sciences dont require physics 1 (only VCE level)
So im hesitant on if i should put in physics 1 for semester 1, or some other subjects.

I tried to put MAST10010 but it is also only available on semester 2 which merges with physics 2 :(

What should I do!!

Thank you for your insight silverfox!!!

silverfox

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 12:34:25 pm »
+1
Oh even better then! It's honestly up to you on what to do, but you do have a few options. You can do Physics 2 in Semester 2 and could study Data Analysis in Semester 2 of second or third year (just understand the limit of how many first level subjects you can do, though). A lot of students, particularly in third year, take first level subjects because they soon realise they need it for some useful prerequisite knowledge for graduate pathways/jobs! (e.g. computing or what not), so it's totally normal for second/third years to study first year level subjects later on in their course!

Alternatively, you could study Calc 2 in Semester 1 just to get some maths that'll still be useful (particularly in terms of modelling/differential equations where there are some applications in medicine-related fields - I remember a past example was on an electric circuit of a defibrillator and you had to find the required voltage running through the patient which was pretty neat!). Another alternative is studying Analysis of Biological Data in Semester 1 of second year, which is essentially analysing data related to biological and medical fields and could overlap with Data Analysis a bit (but with more focus on biology!).

If you have studied Physics in VCE, then don't worry about Physics 1. If you haven't though, it could be useful. Depends on your study plan  :) Good luck with it all!
2016: ATAR 99.85
2017-19: BSci (Statistics) @ UniMelb