Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 01:46:02 pm

Author Topic: BOOKS!  (Read 1502 times)  Share 

90+FTW

BOOKS!
« on: February 08, 2014, 07:40:05 pm »
What is a really good book (that isn't listed in the handbook for philosophy) to read? Something that will help gain a better understanding of philosophy and its concepts? If anyone can suggest the same for Law (just a detailed legal book that covers A LOT) please do so :)

I would appreciate it so much!

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
Re: BOOKS!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:47:02 pm »
What kind of philosophy? You know we do have a philosophy thread too, you can probably learn a lot from that as well, moreso than you would any one individual book.

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

90+FTW

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 07:49:26 pm »
^ I like reading books, I prefer that style of learning. I'm doing Philosophy the Big Questions, so I'm studying concepts like morality, scepticism etc

I'm not a moderator, so if you want you can shift my question to the philosophy area (if there is one). I just want answers really.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 07:51:43 pm by 90+FTW »

slothpomba

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Chief Executive Sloth
  • Respect: +327
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 07:57:56 pm »
+1
There's no "philosophy" book unfortunately which is why i referred you to the thread. It's the closest you'll honestly get to the kind of book you imagine. You can buy your own copy i guess but it'll take ages to come and it seems kind of redundant since i'm posting it. There's no one thing called "philosophy" or "law", you've have great difficulty finding a book covering something like this. It's just like there is no one thing called science, say i ask you for a "science" book, what do you recommend? It's the same deal for the two subjects you mention, which is why i'm struggling to recommend something.

I can recommend some books on morality (which i take you to mean ethics) but most of them are rather thick and since they're so hard to find, you probably wont have an Australian bookseller or local library that has them. You can read some really old texts that form the basis of modern areas but i don't think they're what you're looking for in the sense of a "big book that summarises everything" (which is what i assume you're looking for anyway). If any of these take your fancy i may be able to pass along more precise recommendations.

Here's are two of the books we are (partially) using in the philosophy thread right now - The pig that wants to be eaten and How to Think Like a Bat. Their treatment is very shallow dealing with each "issue" or "problem" in maybe 2...3 pages but it's the closest to what i can think of when you ask for a "philosophy" book.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:00:29 pm by slothpomba »

ATAR Notes Chat
Philosophy thread
-----
2011-15: Bachelor of Science/Arts (Religious studies) @ Monash Clayton - Majors: Pharmacology, Physiology, Developmental Biology
2016: Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Psychiatry research

90+FTW

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 08:03:09 pm »
^ My friend recently bought  a Law book that covered the different areas of Law, all the way to Roman. It's out of publication now, but she told me that it's still possible to find books that cover the different areas - hence the reason I was hoping someone ELSE might know of another. With philosophy however, I see your point, I'm just not into threads.

Thanks for trying anyway.

lynt.br

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +50
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 11:39:14 pm »
+3
If you're after books on legal philosophy you should take a look at some of the major works by John Finnis, Ronald Dworkin and HLA Hart who are each considered some of the most influential modern legal scholars. All of them have close links with Oxford so if you ever go to study there their writings would probably be required reading anyway.

90+FTW

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 12:06:03 am »
^ Thank you so much :D